CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

(now that i'm free of mood swings and (maybe) psychosis or whatever) I have realized that i have probably a very massive case of AD(H)D.

The problem is that my doc is totally convinced that i have some sort of psychosis so i'm absolutely not going to get any sort of stimulant out of him although he also mentioned the possibility of ADHD. He didn't directly mentioned that I could have ADHD per se. The thing is i was diagnosed with Asperger's before and he believes the Asperger's diagnosis is Bullshit and he said you know sometimes people with ADHD produce positive Asperger's ... test results or diagnoses or whatever.

So i'm seriously "doing my homeworks" to find out what i could take for the inattention and concentration problems i have (which i have always had but when you are totally depressed or agitated as hell you dont really care but now i do care)

I'm basicly looking for some sort of ADHD relief which is not an stimulant and not Strattera (cant tolerate and insurance wont pay for it) so it will most probably be an antidepressant (which the insurance will also pay). And doc would also not prescribe wellbutrin because it's a dopamin reuptake inhibitor (psychosis)

So long story short, I went through all the possible antidepressants and Cymbalta looks quite good. It inhibits the uptake of both noradrenalin and serotonin (1:1) and to lesser extent dopamin (which is good). Note that it inhibits the uptake of noradrenalin 20 times as much as Venlafaxine (effexor) and the Nor. is the thing good for ADD. as well as dopamin.

And then there is this small study where they tested it on some kids with ADD and it worked: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hup.1188/abstract

Ok whatever, Have anyone ever tried cymbalta for ADHD or any other sort of problem with concentration or attention?

Cheerz

bear

I'm no expert, but have worked as a Pharmacy Tech on and off since I was 18 and I have never heard of it being used for ADD. Also being ADD myself have never been told about it. I may ask my dad (pharmacist) if he has heard of anything like that though.

If your pdoc is concerned about ADHD but won't prescribe a stim, what are his plans going forward? I think his plans are probably going to be more sound than internet research done with us, none of us have anything more than unreliable anecdotal thoughts on this. I am concerned that you are minimizing what I saw to be pretty heavy psychosis from a lot of what you posted and have self diagnosed with something you now want to figure out how to treat without really listening to your pdoc.

You don't sound well, tbh.

well i'm having a shitty day. i'm indeed not well. but you are assuming i'm having heavy psychosis by reading a handful of posts (are you a doctor?)

i have been diagnosed with ADHD before and have been prescribed ritalin and strattera before. ritalin was good but doctor pushed me to take 50 mg which was too much and strattera was bad. and changing doctor lead to different diagnosis and ... whatever.

i'm wondering which is more psychotic. my old posts or diagnosing me with "heavy psychosis" by just reading them.

I just got off the phone with my dad I needed to ask him something else, but I asked him about the Cymbalta for ADD. Cymbalta and Prozac are basically the same thing, one generic fluoxetine the other is duloxotine. The Cymbalta also being used for Fybromyalga. He has never heard of Cymbalta being used for ADD. He does keep up on current drug uses and new uses. But as a disclaimer* he is not a complete expert, just a pharmacist that I think does his job darn well.

I may or may not be myself (maybe old self) because i have done (and am still doing) a great deal of (IMHO very successful) talk therapy and have changed my meds quite a bit (muchas less zyprexa with doc's direction). I admit that i have a rather unique personality and it might have become even "uniquer" due to "being more myself" (because of less zyprexa but much more due to the psychoanalysis i do). I don't really belive in the Schizophrenia diagnosis anymore really. It's quite possible that i have schizoid or maybe a pinch of schizotypical PD and that would explain why i sound weird (apart from english being my third or fourth language and the possible ADHD ;-) AND it's 1 am AND i've had an extremely bad day. i'm indeed confused. but the ADHD idea is all but new. it goes back to 1999.

Edited by Überpolarbear

I just got off the phone with my dad I needed to ask him something else, but I asked him about the Cymbalta for ADD. Cymbalta and Prozac are basically the same thing, one generic fluoxetine the other is duloxotine. The Cymbalta also being used for Fybromyalga. He has never heard of Cymbalta being used for ADD. He does keep up on current drug uses and new uses. But as a disclaimer* he is not a complete expert, just a pharmacist that I think does his job darn well.

Thank you very much. i just saw the study and went yay ok cool. I found cymbalta quite compelling also because there are all these studies around that it can be given to schizophrenics. in case that i actually have it as my doc says. I cant see why it shouldn't work because it does the same thing as desipramin (particularly muchas noradrenalin RE).

Cymbalta is almost the same as prozac? I was considering switching to cymbalta, but if this is true it likely won't be of much help to me then :( Isn't Cymbalta a SNRI? I know prozac has a higher affinity for NE than many other SSRIs, but I guess I assumed ADs in two different classes would be more different.

Edited by chicchick

Cymbalta is almost the same as prozac? I was considering switching to cymbalta, but if this is true it likely won't be of much help to me then :( Isn't Cymbalta a SNRI? I know prozac has a higher affinity for NE than many other SSRIs, but I guess I assumed ADs in two different classes would be more different.

Cymbalta is NOT the same as prozac. it has very high afinity for NE. even very much higher than effexor. 20x 3x higher. and a little of afinity for dopamine. prozac doesnt have ANY afinity for NE.

Oh i'm so stupid. Cymbalta has 3 times higher affinity than effexor not 20 times. I mistaked it with Milnacipran. Sorrryyyyy

source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18622372

Edited by Überpolarbear

Cymbalta is NOT the same as prozac. it has very high afinity for NE. even very much higher than effexor. 20x higher. and a little of afinity for dopamine. prozac doesnt have ANY afinity for NE.

My mistake, I should have clarified, I meant 5-HT which often leads to indirectly effecting NE. As far as I believe (I could be wrong, not a doctor) I know Prozac has a realtively high affinity for 5-HT and is one of the less selective of the SSRIs, with Paxil being the only AD that is even less selective than Prozac. Prozac, and to a greater extent, Zoloft, also has a higher affinity (Though likely insignificant) for DA than other SSRIs, such as Luvox, Celexa, and Lexapro. Because DA is converted into NE, I would assume the indirect effects of these two factors combined, more so the 5-HT effect, would lead to a general increase in NE levels.

That's interesting about Cymbalta though. I wonder what the NE affinity of that drug is like compared to conventional stimulants like amphetamine.

EDIT: I just wanted to add sources to justify these claims.

Sources-

http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v28/n2/full/1300057a.html

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/7/3/170.full

Edited by chicchick