Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

moclobemide

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Moclobemide, a reversible MAOI, appears to be a rather ideal anti-depressant. It reportedly does not cause much weight gain, may actually increase sexual functioning, and unlike irreversible MAOIs, there aren't major dietary restrictions (with exception given to certain cheeses/other foods that contain unusually high levels of tyramine). It also doesn't seem to negatively effect the heart or cognitive functioning.

Has anyone here been on this and have some personal experience to share?

Posted (edited)

I haven't taken it, and it apparently is not available in the United States. But I consulted Dr. Google, because I had never heard of it before.

The Wikipedia article is clearly a blow job for the pharma co.

The other things I can find that at least have some scientific underpinnings seemed to think it was of some use, but in a limited number of situations, and not effective for intractable depression. The studies they have done on using it for anxiety have been so mixed they can't draw any conclusions.

There is a slightly more positive, 10 year-old study on Pubmed, but they didn't think it was anything spectacular, except it had a low side effect profile for an MAOI. Apparently you can tolerate a lot more tyramine, but there is a limit (something which the Wikipedia article flat out lied about). Also, there is a short wash out period, although it varies according to class of AD.

Sorry if you knew all this. I learned something, at any rate.

ETA: They accidentally found out it helps control hot flashes in menopausal women!

Edited by crtclms

Posted

I've taken moclobemide, which is sold as Aurorix here. I didn't find it helpful for depression at all. In fact, I think it helped push me into a mixed state, but back when I was taking it, I was diagnosed as MDD so I wasn't aware of what was happening at the time. The doctor prescribing it to me was a GP who was similarly clueless.

Later, I remember talking to my first pdoc about Aurorix and he was surprised I was prescribed it. He was of the opinion that it wasn't an effective medication.

Posted

I tried it, It helped my depression however it also gave me endless migraines. The migraines stopped the week I ceased it.