frankieG

can a manic episode make you think you're gay?

35 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Flash said:

You can't trust anything that happens during mania. I'm a 100% gay man, and I still had sex with a lesbian once, and a number of straight females when I was younger and in denial. In a manic, hypersexual state, I could totally see me be with a woman again. Don't read too much into it. IMO, the best way to figure things out is to analyze what you think about while masturbating, but when not symptomatic, if at all possible. One event does not define you. It can be hard to admit same-sex attraction. But if it's there, you shouldn't try to deny it. Maybe you're heterosexual, maybe you're gay, or maybe you're bi (or something else). Trust your instincts, but be wary if you're symptomatic. Some people are 'hetero-romantic,' which means they like gay sex, but prefer an opposite-sex partner for an LTR. Do a little introspection and see where you are. If you're honest with yourself, I think you'll find the answer easily enough.

Personally, I'm not sure how much I would rely on fantasies while masturbating to tell me about my sexual orientation or other sexual interests. I certainly have fantasized about people, situations, and activities that I have no interest in doing in real life. It's hard to do, but it may be best not to try to label it for now. Be interested in whatever you are interested in during the current moment. When not manic, allow yourself to safely experiment if you are so inclined. Over time, you can choose a label that seems to fit, or just continue dating, sleeping with, or having a relationship with whoever you want, so long as you are open with potential partners and protect yourself while doing anything casual. 

On 2/27/2017 at 9:16 AM, Alien Navel Cord said:

The reason for it is because of the "flip floppers" or the "experimenters"... rarely are there true bisexuals out there. I've been burned by so many "straight girls who were curious" that called themselves bisexual so that's the majority of the reason we have a problem with it. 

Aaaaand this is one of the reasons bisexual individuals have even WORSE mental health that straight or "all gay" folks.

Thanks for telling me I am rare or flip flopping or sitting on the fence or experimenting.

While it sucks to get burned by people experimenting with sexual orientation, it sucks worse to be marginalized by an already minority population.

It both chafes my hide and gets my knickers twisted like little else.

6 hours ago, thunder said:

Personally, I'm not sure how much I would rely on fantasies while masturbating to tell me about my sexual orientation or other sexual interests. I certainly have fantasized about people, situations, and activities that I have no interest in doing in real life. It's hard to do, but it may be best not to try to label it for now. Be interested in whatever you are interested in during the current moment. When not manic, allow yourself to safely experiment if you are so inclined. Over time, you can choose a label that seems to fit, or just continue dating, sleeping with, or having a relationship with whoever you want, so long as you are open with potential partners and protect yourself while doing anything casual. 

I disagree. When you're asymptomatic, I think they're a very good guide. I have NEVER, EVER fantasized about sex with women unless I forced the fantasy (at which point it is no longer a fantasy). In fact, I fantasized about having sex with a man while I was having sex with a woman. That pretty much told me everything I needed to know.

6 hours ago, Wooster said:

Aaaaand this is one of the reasons bisexual individuals have even WORSE mental health that straight or "all gay" folks.

Thanks for telling me I am rare or flip flopping or sitting on the fence or experimenting.

While it sucks to get burned by people experimenting with sexual orientation, it sucks worse to be marginalized by an already minority population.

It both chafes my hide and gets my knickers twisted like little else.

According to the estimates I've seen, there are actually more bi folks than gay folks. I think they're often reluctant to admit it because they're stigmatized by both the straight and gay folks.

I would tend to agree with you @Flash. Based on the research I've seen as well, that there are a higher percentage of folks who are attracted to members of more than one gender/sex.

What I mean by an "already minority population" is that gay folks are fewer in number than straight people. But if I had been thinking more clearly, the word I would have used is "marginalized."

Not all that different than how some folks with physical disabilities have historically excluded those with mental illness because they thought it would "hurt their chances" to get disability rights.

However, if you look at some of the Kinsey and Masters & Johnson follow on work, there are by far a greater percentage of people who would fall somewhere between totally straight and totally gay.

Posted (edited)

I would say I am Bi.  But really it's just who I love.  Not what sex they are.  So if it needs a name then call me Bi.  

When I am manic and HS then anyone will do.  Luckily I have been safe during periods like that.  I also lean on my  professional support peeps.

Edited by dragonfly23

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic. I felt the need to do so because of the fucked up stuff being said reinforcing the invisibility of bisexuality.

Back to the OP... sexual orientation/attraction during mania.

Ready? Set? Go!

I've been cray-cray manic with a heaping helping of hyper-sexuality, and my guess, OP, is that you just got libidinous enough on a brand new special level, which is sometimes what it takes to scratch that particular bipolar itch, that you needed a special something more. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 3/19/2017 at 3:30 AM, Flash said:

According to the estimates I've seen, there are actually more bi folks than gay folks. I think they're often reluctant to admit it because they're stigmatized by both the straight and gay folks.

I read an article saying that all women were bisexual ... not so sure how accurate it is. Because I have spoke to some women and they would never go near a vagina. So that article needs better research haha. But to me it's not even about that, to me I feel there is more intimacy between women compared to the men I've been with. When I am manic I will try to stick to masturbating. key word Try I should buy stock in the company who owns Duracell Battery

Edited by KnickNak

6 hours ago, KnickNak said:

I read an article saying that all women were bisexual ... not so sure how accurate it is.

Total load of crap.