Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ugh, can't focus

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been this way my whole life. Dropped out of high school. When ever I try to read the bible my mind drifts into other things like music. The only problem I have is that I have a psychotic disorder and my doc is alittle scared to put me on a stim because he thinks it can flare up my schizoaffective disorder. I know I will be fine. Has anyone here had experience with concerta. I would rather try something that is less potent then adderall and dex....

Posted

I found Concerta to be very subtle compared to Adderall XR and Vyvanse. I prefer methylphenidate over adderall, because it doesn't bother my appetite as much and I don't have problems sleeping at night with it. Good luck!

Posted

In my experience, stims can be taken safely in conjunction with other meds. But this is highly individual, and your doc would have a much better idea of the risks in your case than any of us would know.

I find Concerta plenty potent, though I do take a large dose.

Stimulant meds, including Concerta, can increase anxiety levels, exacerbate symptoms. From panic and general anxiety to OCD. Psychosis may not be the only risk.

Posted

I don't have SZA, but I have BP with some psychosis issues, and my pdoc was hesitant to start me on stims. So we started small and moved up slowly.

I can honestly say it's one of the most helpful medications I take.

Posted

I have been this way my whole life. Dropped out of high school. When ever I try to read the bible my mind drifts into other things like music. The only problem I have is that I have a psychotic disorder and my doc is alittle scared to put me on a stim because he thinks it can flare up my schizoaffective disorder. I know I will be fine. Has anyone here had experience with concerta. I would rather try something that is less potent then adderall and dex....

I too have a mood disorder and struggle with focus like no other. My doc said I need my mood stabilized first before trying any stimulants. I will suggest concerta. tried 60 mg adderall ir and did absolutely nothing

Posted (edited)

60 mg's of adderall is like so high. I on ritalin and my doc finally caved in but I only take 5 mg's of ritalin. and I know I probably need it twice a day and I would be fine. IDK why 60 mg's of add isn't doing anything. Thats kinda just IDK?

Edited by sonicwhite

Posted

If my moods are heavily destabilised, if I'm in a mood episode, hell if I haven't had any sleep, my ADHD issues can be seriously magnified and my meds don't work as well if at all. While ADHD can be the source of some mood issues and anxiety - it is for me - it is a wholly different thing from my bipolar mood issues.

Posted

60 mg's of adderall is like so high. I on ritalin and my doc finally caved in but I only take 5 mg's of ritalin. and I know I probably need it twice a day and I would be fine. IDK why 60 mg's of add isn't doing anything. Thats kinda just IDK?

Is the Ritalin helping?

Posted

Ya the ritalin is doing a GRT job at me atenttion and depression from not being able to focus.

Posted

I'm schizoaffective and on Ritalin, and it doesn't make me more psychotic.  Stimulants affect everyone differently.  Even if a stimulant does make the schizoaffective symptoms worse, I think the ability to focus is well worth it.  In my experience, ADHD symptoms are much more debilitating than a slight increase in psychotic symptoms.

Posted

Really Lordofthemonkeys? I'm asking that with genuine curiosity, not with any assumptions behind it. So what- you just ignore the psychotic stuff??

Posted

Well, when I don't take Ritalin, I can't engage in anything.  I literally just sit around doing nothing all day.  That's my entire life.  Being psychotic may impair my ability to make friends and not creep people out, but at least I can still perform basic life functions like going to classes, working at a job, getting exercise, maintaining my hygiene, etc.  Maybe my ADHD is just more severe than most other peoples'.

Posted (edited)

I recently started being treated for ADD symptoms, and I think I'm still trying to break my mind of thinking that it's not that big of a deal, even though since I've started treatment it's sort of turned my life around. Not 180 or anything, but life is a LOT easier. Whereas I don't think I've had any psychotic symptoms, so I'm just curious :)

Edited by vondick

Posted

I'm a hypomanic BP, and 20 mg of Ritalin causes me no problems.   I find my stimulant to be helpful. 

Posted

I recently started being treated for ADD symptoms, and I think I'm still trying to break my mind of thinking that it's not that big of a deal, even though since I've started treatment it's sort of turned my life around. Not 180 or anything, but life is a LOT easier. Whereas I don't think I've had any psychotic symptoms, so I'm just curious :)

That was my problem....All I would do all day is think of my massive episode I had in 05 and, wondering whether I was going to have it again...I could do nothing during the day. I was so depressed and unmotivated....It was sad.