Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Monkeysphere...?

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What is the monkeysphere?

OK. After reading this, the following came to mind:

*Look at the estimated monkeysphere of the average human being. Now look at how many people are "friends" of yours on facebook. How big is the overlap with "real life" friends?

*I've used the phrase "wandering moral compass" before, and meant it. But what if these people just have an extremely small monkeysphere? Possible?

*Those with ASD have a stronger tendency to see morality as black and white, wrong or right, yes or no... then apply it without discretion to their world, life, surroundings, and peers. Is the concept of the monkeysphere applicable here, in these specific cases where that is true? Do those with ASD who apply a blanket moral code have a bigger monkeysphere? If so, is this because EVERYONE is important... or no one is?

*also: "Monkeysphere"? REALLY!?

[Yes, some people will notice that I have also posted this elsewhere on the intarnets]

Posted · Report post

Heh. I have never heard of this before. But something inside of me snapped when i saw i had more than 150 friends on FB and immediately cut that number down to about 115. A little higher than i'd like in theory, but doable.

Posted · Report post

Omg that article was pure brillance..

Posted · Report post

Very very interesting. Thank you for bringing the monkeysphere to my attention Luna.

What is the monkeysphere?

*Those with ASD have a stronger tendency to see morality as black and white, wrong or right, yes or no... then apply it without discretion to their world, life, surroundings, and peers. Is the concept of the monkeysphere applicable here, in these specific cases where that is true? Do those with ASD who apply a blanket moral code have a bigger monkeysphere? If so, is this because EVERYONE is important... or no one is?

This I find very interesting as well. I feel like this is a concept I see in a different light than most of my peers- although I didn't have a word like monkeysphere to put to it. As for your question about if it is because everyone or no one is important I don't have an answer, but it is an interesting question. I guess I haven't added much to the conversation, but it is super interesting. And I DO think those with ASD view it through a bit of a different lens.

Posted · Report post

I've been thinking about this more. Super interesting, trying to make my friends and family read it hahaha...

I feel that it is almost equally because everyone is important AND no one is important. In our day to day lives as we live it- everyone should be important (although via nature, there will always be people we perceive to be moreso), though in thinking about the bigger perspective, in relation to the earth on a whole, really, no one is important.

Is this just semantics?

Posted · Report post

i get it. i totally do. and it seems an accurate assessment.

Posted · Report post

I was hoping this would get much more discussion. I posted the link on my FB - not a single person liked or commented on it. Yes, i did warn them of foul language, so that takes out a dozen readers right there, but still...

Posted · Report post

Right? I did too, and got nothing but one like. Which in itself is sort of fascinating. How come noone else wants to talk about this? Hahahah