Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting sick and emotions

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey guys, I've caught a few viruses over the last 6 months.  Right now I have a terrible cold.   Both times I noticed 1-2 days before I would get a lot of anxiety.  Then ontop of that, the actual sickness plays with my emotions a lot almost to where I feel like the meds stop working until the virus subsides.  Not always bad, but a lot of anxiety comes back which is my main ailment.

Just kind of thinking outloud, wondering if this is common with anyone else, I'm sure even in the healthiest of people it is, however I can never get enough reaassurance.

Wondering what happens with others who get sick and have mental health issues, share experiences please.  thank you

Posted · Report post

Are you taking meds as prescribed?  Are you under a lot of stress?  For me stress and/or lack of sleep will make me come down with something ie a bad cold.

Posted · Report post

Are you taking meds as prescribed?  Are you under a lot of stress?  For me stress and/or lack of sleep will make me come down with something ie a bad cold.

Ya meds are on schedule, family got sick, and then I caught it.  No extra stress.

Posted · Report post

I definitely notice a small spike in my feelings of "restlessness" before I notice symptoms of a head cold.

Posted · Report post

I definitely notice a small spike in my feelings of "restlessness" before I notice symptoms of a head cold.

Yes restlessness is good description.

One thing that bothers me a lot is fact I'm on meds, I wonder if it's a problem with the meds first before accepting it's just a seasonal virus....

Posted · Report post

I currently am sick and remember a few days beforehand I was very irritable and anxious, out of the blue.

Maybe you could talk to your pdoc about your meds for reassurance that it is ok to still be taking them while you have a virus.

Posted · Report post

My pdoc in Pittsburgh told me that bad cases of the flu could trigger episodes, and prescribed me tamiflu several times.  This is info he told me at appts. like 15 years ago, I have no idea how to source it.

Posted · Report post

When I get the flu I end up feeling suicidal. It took me awhile to make the connection.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I usually get restless, my heart beats fast, I shake and just feel pretty anxious before/during illnesses. I also get angry easily, my thoughts race, and I feel like I am wasting time resting and that I could be getting so much done (My anxiety episodes tend to go hand in hand with my hypomanic episodes, but not always.) 

Edited by SandNWaveS

Posted · Report post

I can get incredibly moody, irritable, despondent, before a bad physical illness - especially anything that hits me with a fever (flu, sinus infection, kidney infection, etc.) It's never clear why it's happening, because I don't get the physical symptoms right away, but once they do hit I figure it out pretty quick. Also I am usually too ill to tell if it's continuing to fuck with my mood.

I haven't yet caught anything bad enough since I started getting treated for my mentalhealth, so no feedback on if the meds help me with this or not.