Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

is adoption an option for us?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

okay, here's a fear of mine. are we gonna be unable to adopt because of our mental illnesses?

Posted

There are some diagnoses, I believe but do not know, which already may prevent one from being approved by an adoption agency.

Which mental illness?

And, is this GLBT specific in some way? Because if not, I'm thinking of moving it perhaps to parents/parenting, as being more likely to garner on-topic answers there.

Posted (edited)

I haven't done any research (I don't want kids, I fear that it would just end terribly for all concerned) but given that half the world doesn't even accept DID as a diagnosis I can't imagine that it is very high on the "cannot be responsible for others" list. Every system that I know of that went the parenting route is doing a really good job of it, so presumably it's okay? But I'd say if you're serious about it do your research. I don't know about GAD and social phobia though.

Also, Miron made a good point about this being in the parenting forum. If you want to add how it's a LGBTQ issue that would be a good idea, since we don't know the rules around that in your country anyway.

Edited by WinterRosie

Posted

I think more than the question of whether you can adopt you should first ask the question if you should adopt.  I make no judgment either way but I think you should seriously think about it.  I know plenty of MI people who have chosen not to have children or adopt because they do not feel stable enough.  The idea is that if you can't control yourself emotionally or physically, how can you care for children?  I had children before I was diagnosed and I don't regret it.  But if I didn't have DH to help me on my bad days I really don't know what I would do.  There are literally days when I cannot and should not care for children.

On the flip side, I know MI folks who do have children and can handle it.  Ultimately, the responsibility lies with you.  Out of curiosity, do you have any alters that could pose a risk to a child?  Or do you have child alters that are not capable of caring for a child?  Things to consider.

Posted

Okay, I am moving this into the Parenting forum. Even if it does veer into GLBQT territory, I'm still going to consider it a parenting topic.