Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trazodone Hangover?

15 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I had a visit with my pdoc yesterday and asked her for Trazodone since I have been having a severe bout of insomnia for over a month.  I had been reading this forum for about a week before my appointment, and my mother takes it as well so I felt safe in asking for it.

I took the first dose (50 mg) at bedtime and had strange dreams, woke up about 4 hours later, stayed up for an hour or so, then went back  to bed and woke up around 9:00 am.  Problem is, I'm "hungover" and feel like I could sleep more, but I can't fall back asleep.

Pdoc told me that I can take up to 100 mg if the 50 doesn't work, but I'm going to stick with 50 and see how it works before I decide whether or not to take 100 mg.

I just got laid off from my job a little over a week ago, so the excessive sleeping isn't that big of a deal at the moment, but I was wondering from those of you who take it, if the hangover side effect will eventually go away after using it for a little while.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted · Report post

I was on 50mg. As long as I got a decent amount of sleep (eight hours +) I didn't really feel hungover in the morning. Gave me weird dreams and I suspect it may have made some weird sleeping things I had before even worse, so I stopped taking it. And it's not like it ALWAYS worked either, which was annoying. I'm about to ask for something else.

I hope the hangover goes away for you! 

Posted · Report post

I could not handle this drug because the hangover was so horrible.  I stopped taking it shortly after trying it a few times.  Don't know if that side effect goes away with time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It does for some people but did not for me.

Edited by notfred

Posted · Report post

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  I'm glad I have a place to go where I can ask people who have actually tried it instead of just relying on the pamphlet that comes from the pharmacy or google, lol!

It's about 1:00 now and I feel more refreshed than I did before I started taking it, when I was relying on high doses of Benadryl and Melatonin to knock me out.  I think the key for me will be for me to go to bed earlier, since my internal alarm clock is set between 6-7 am. 

Thanks again!  I've been a member for a few years, but only lurk mostly now because I have been stable for quite some time and don't feel like I would be useful to anyone!

Posted · Report post

I take 200mg of trazadone, 8mg rozerem and 2 mg clonopin. My hangover pretty much went away but I take provigil in the mornings to help.

Posted · Report post

I know a lot of ppl who take Trazadone for sleep (I take Seroquel and still have a hangover, depending on the dose). Some ppl the hangover goes away, Some it does not. You might have to play around with your dose if it.

Sounds like you have a lot of stress going on as well which might be causing you to wake up during the night.

Posted · Report post

I don't know about anyone else, but I never had a hangover. In fact I've gotten so used to it I don't sleep well at all anymore. I know some people take it forever and it never stops working for them. Always makes them drowsy. I hope the hangover goes away for you and you are able to sleep soundly and through the night!

Posted · Report post

Since my pdoc told me I can take up to 100 mg, I bumped my dose up a few nights ago. I have found that a higher dosage keeps me asleep all night, and if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, I take some Benadryl.  After almost a week on the traz I no longer have that hung over feeling.  I sleep until about 9 am, and wake up feeling rested.  This is some of the best sleep I've gotten in a while.  The strange dreams are gone, which I'm kinda bummed about...they were quite entertaining and very vivid.

I really appreciate all the responses I've received.  This is such a great place to lurk (and post occasionally).

Posted · Report post

For me the top I can take of Trazodone for the sleep effect is 50mg.  Trazodone is a "dirty" drug in that it hits different receptors as the dose goes up.  It tops out on Histamine around 50mg so taking 100 or more starts getting into the Alpha and Serotonin (anti-depressant) effects.

It's wierd and I'm a nerd though...  It's like Remeron.  Small dose = sleepy, large = not so sleepy.

If you aren't on Trazodone 100 or more for depression try 25mg or 50mg on an empty stomach.

I go down like a rock.  (That being said I have some TERRIBLE Trazodone side effects and can only do this about 2 or 3 nights before I have to switch to another med for a few days).

In the last 14 years I've taken every prescribed sleep med from A(mbien) to Z(opiclone), and everything in between.  They all affect people differently. 

Example:  Did you know that a side-effect of Ambien is threatened divorce? :)  Yep... I don't recommend taking it for ten years at escalating doses and during the day for stress.   But that's for another time...

Posted · Report post

Example:  Did you know that a side-effect of Ambien is threatened divorce? :) 

Huh?  Now this is a story I want to hear.

Posted · Report post

My Trazadone hangovers went away VERY slowly. It got better after time (I take 150-300mg). 

The ONLY thing that didn't go away was the morning ass breath. 

Posted · Report post

Example:  Did you know that a side-effect of Ambien is threatened divorce? :)

Huh?  Now this is a story I want to hear.

I second this motion

Posted · Report post

I'm 17 and have been taking  trazodone since I was about 12-13. Can't remember the exact age. The first couple of years, I felt that "hangover" type thing in the morning. Sometimes couldn't even wake up to get to school on time. Now it takes a few hours to work usually (at 100mg) with some benadryl and melatonin. I wish it would work like it used to. 

Posted · Report post

Well...a couple of nights of low dose remeron have been good. Trazodone is wonderful except for the bad alpha-antagonism that cause my nose to swell shut. About three nights is all I can you take.