Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faceless

I just want it to stop...

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone..

I'm not exactly sure how this works (this is my first time) but I guess I'll give it a shot. I've suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have a very low self esteem, insecurities etc.. I'm in college and I live with both of my parents and my brother. I don't like letting them see me because I feel like they will think I'm ugly and I start feeling pressure and tightness in my throat and chest when I have to be around people. I have anxiety attacks constantly throughout the day. I worry about every little thing in particular (school, the past, the future, and sometimes I worry about nothing at all) I feel the whole pressure and tightness in my throat right now writing this because I want it to sound right. I'll often get in a bad mood when I don't want to be around my family so they'll leave me alone because I worry too much about what they're thinking. Sometimes I will miss school because I fear something bad will happen that day and I don't want to be around people. (I guess I have some form of social anxiety) Sometimes it will get so bad I'll think about ending my life just so I won't have to go somewhere or do something. I want to be a doctor but I know my anxiety and insecurities are going to keep me from achieving that goal. I don't know what to do anymore. I just want it to stop and be normal. I don't want to worry about every little thing I'm doing or everything having to be perfect. My last psychiatrist tried several, and I mean several, antidepressants and none of them worked. They just made me tired, so I stopped going. I want to go to a new doctor but I don't want to go through taking more antidepressants. I want something that helps for once. What do I do?  

Edited by faceless

Have you considered psychotherapy in addition to pharmacotherapy?

Cognitive behavioral therapy can be very effective in addressing anxieties.

The "third wave" cognitive behavioral therapies (dialectical behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and mindfulness based stress reduction) have tremendous potential to help you have the quality of life you desire and deserve in spite of the concerns you now have.

I encourage you to check them out. Find a tdoc who has specifically trained with a reputable certifying organization.

I would also like to second DBT. It has helped me so much. Also, there are non antidepressant meds out there that work well for anxiety. I would suggest finding a new psychiatrist and asking about so e alternative meds.

In addition to what Woo said, you could try different classes of medications. For example, I take Abilify which is an anti-psychotic and it does WONDERS for my anxiety. I have GAD... Well, not really any more thanks to Abilify. 

So, there are other types of drugs you can try to rein in your anxiety. 

I really suggest cognitive behavioural therapy together with medication. I did CBT for anxiety and it was extremely helpful. CBT teaches you to identify distorted thoughts and to respond to them. It's very effective for anxiety. 

As well, you could consider picking up some work books for dealing with anxiety. They are usually found in the self-help section of the bookstore, or you could go through the amazon link here on CB. I have used books to deal with my bipolar and psychosis and they are helpful because they validate what I'm feeling. 

I'm so sorry you're suffering like this. Hold onto that dream of being a doctor!! I thought I would never achieve my dreams of becoming a nurse, but here I am in nursing school. It's harder for us to achieve our dreams because we have formidable challenges. However, as long as you take care of yourself, I believe you can have a meaningful life with mental illness.

There are still a ton of meds you could try.  AAPS, benzos, and buspar to mention some.  Also CBT and ACT therapy have helped my anxiety a lot.  Goggle them and you will get a ton of info on finding a therpist or self help resources.  There are workbooks for anxiety in the CrazyStore on this site.  The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook has a ton of different techniques, and is well worth checking out.  Good luck, and keep posting here, there are a ton of us who have anxiety or have overcome it and it is a great support system here.

Thank you so much for the replies, everyone. I haven't tried behavior therapies yet. I didn't know if it actually worked or not, but I will check that out now. It really helps knowing i'm not alone in all of this. I wish you all the best.  

Parapluie, congratulations on nursing school! 

Hey girl, don't you worry, you're with similar people as you.  But writing about your problems won't solve them at all ... I found that with myself, always writing but never assimilating what was being said to me.  I like reading through site like http://lonerwolf.com because they help me sort out what I'm feeling, and help me to make real change.  You might like to read a really helpful article as a place to start http://lonerwolf.com/6-mental-traps/

I hope it helps you out! xx

CronnEZ, we are a community here of Mentally Interesting people, and we encourage our members to seek professional help.  That means seeing a psychiatrist, working with a therapist, and giving medications a fair chance to work. 

There is nothing wrong with the article you linked to in your post---it identifies some of the negative thinking that is common with MI people.  However, it doesn't suggest any way to cope with those thoughts.  Is that website anti-therapy? 

Please develop a relationship with our community HERE at Crazyboards before suggesting that our members go elsewhere for support.

olga

Hey girl, don't you worry, you're with similar people as you.  But writing about your problems won't solve them at all ...

In fact, writing about one's problems is a recognized, widely recommended, effective, and time-tested form of therapy.  The act of writing forces a person to parse emotional reactions through the relatively ordered and rational context of narrative construction in order to communicate them on paper, which helps the individual to make sense of them and understand them in a more objective way.  This often leads to viewing one's feelings from the point of view of an outside reader/observer.  We only reach solutions to our problems when we embrace new ideas and concepts on which we can act, or new perceptions of ourselves that we can embrace; often, those must come from within, and we must create them ourselves from our own inner resources.  Writing is one of the best tools to access those resources.  To suggest that writing about problems won't solve them is unhelpful and uninformed.

I get the "tightness in my throat and chest when I have to be around people. I have anxiety attacks constantly throughout the day. I worry about every little thing in particular (school, the past, the future, and sometimes I worry about nothing at all) I feel the whole pressure and tightness in my throat right now writing this because I want it to sound right."

Sounds pretty much like me.  I can relate.

As mentioned above, DBT can be really helpful.  I've learned a lot.  I wish I would have done this a long time ago (I'm in DBT right now).  It is a big commitment though, but you should check it out at least to become familiar with the concepts.  There's lots of options besides pharms - you just got to find the one (or more) that is right for you.

I write about my issues a lot and it really does help.

CBT is effective with anxiety.

I don't like being dependent on medications, but eventually I just said fuck it, and accepted the fact I need them the same way a diabetic needs insulin. 

We live in a society where we are constantly bombarded with fears.  And those fears lead to depressions. So if taking some pill gets me through the day, then whatever.  I'm glad it's there.

Edited by Derek

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Welbutrin is making me feel high and drowsy
      By Maddie
      I was just prescribed Welbutrin for depression and ADHD. I am only 17 years old and am already showing signs of having an addictive personality. I had illegally been buying adderal pills off friends at school to help motivate me to do homework and get good grades. It worked. I had been making AMAZING grades, and not only that, but I felt like a happy person due to its euphoric side effect of amphetimine as well. At first, I would only take 10 mg every once in awhile like if I had a test or just a lot homework I needed to get done. Then it turned into taking 10mg everyday, slowly turning into taking 20mg, and sometimes I would take 20mg twice or three times in one day. I couldn't handle coming down off it, so I would just take more. Once I realized how out of control I had became, I told my parents. They weren't nearly as mad as j thought they would be. They just wanted to get me help. We went to the nurse practitioner I had been seeing for anxiety for the past few years. I was taking 100mg of Zoloft. I never have any energy of motivation to do anything and that's why I feel in love with the adderal. It gave me the confidence I needed socially and the extra boost of energy. My nurse practitioner prescribed me welbutrin. I've only taken it for 2 days now, but both today and yesterday it made me feel stoned and drunk. I don't even feel human and I just miss having the adderal high, this med is only making me tired and hungry, it's not motivating me to do anything. It's a Friday night and all I've been doing is laying in bed reading about Welbutrin and what it does to people. My throat feels swollen, I'm more emotional than I've ever been (I cry about everything), I'm tired, I feel disconnected from my body (almost like I just smoked a bowl of weed to myself), I wanna eat everything, my mouth is dry, and my anxiety has never been this bad. My doctor went ahead and took me off Zoloft, too. I really want this med to work for me. I don't want to take adderal illegally anymore, I don't wanna be addicted to it, but my depression is the worst it's ever been. My ears won't stop ringing either? Has anyone else felt this way? I hope these side effects will subside and I'll start to feel like a happy, normal person again. 
      Thanks 
      maddie 
    • breastfeeding hormones and depression/anxiety
      By the.miss.j
      i'm looking for *any* insight into this:  i had to completely wean my daughter on 12/17/15 due to a new med that was completely contraindicated with breastfeeding.  last week at the appointment with my therapist, she asks me what my (depression and anxiety) levels are at; i thought about it for a moment, and i said "zero."  now, this is virtually unheard of for me; i'm DXed major depressive disorder (recurrent, severe), GAD, dysthymia; the only other time something like this happened was a hypomanic phase that lasted 6 months post-partum.  i've read the potential side effects of atorvastatin (the new med), and i've seen nothing like "elevated mood" listed.  is it possible that the hormone change from weaning is affecting my mood???  everything i've googled points to women becoming depressed after weaning, and here i am, feeling...normal.  like what i think a undepressed, unanxious person must feel like.  i am at a lose as to why this is happening, and almost waiting for it to end like the hypomanic phase did (man, that sucked), since i've been depressed/anxious/dysthymic well before getting pregnant/breastfeeding.  the dysthymia is there, but manageable.  
    • Falling back on old habits (possibly triggering)
      By heilmania
      I had an anxiety attack a few days ago. It was bad, a total beast. It went on for over two hours.
      I hadn't self harmed in many months, and I hadn't made myself throw up for even longer. This anxiety attack was so absolutely terrible that I ended up falling back on old habits- my first attempt to stop the attack was to self harm, and when that didn't work, I forced myself to throw up. Turns out, I just deepened my guilty and anxious feelings. The attack went on.
      I'm not trying to have a pity party, but I'm wondering if I'm alone in this. Does anyone else fall back on bad habits to try to stop anxiety attacks? Does anyone else even try to stop them, or do you just let it take over? I successfully did stop them in the past by either self-harming, throwing up my food, or jumping into an ice cold shower (if I was home).
      Basically, I know better than to do that type of shit to myself. I know how much it upsets my loved ones, and I know how terrible it is for me. Why oh why would I set myself back like that?
    • Face rash on clonazepam (klonopin)
      By freewolfe13
      Hi all—
      I started taking clonazepam for sleep and anxiety on Thursday evening. Today is Sunday.
      My current dosage is 1mg at bedtime. I am also on mirtazapine, 30mg at bedtime, for depression.
      On Friday I woke up feeling refreshed, as though I was alive again, after a full night of sleep. That same day I noticed what looked like a bug bug bite on my right cheek which I dismissed as such. On Saturday I had another bug bite under my right eye, again I brushed it off as a bug bite. But today I woke up with the same bites, this time a lot more red, tender, and itchy than the previous days.
      The right side of my face shows a clear rash starting over my eyebrow through the right side of my nose and finally descending to my right cheek with a splotch under my right eye. 
      I don't feel any worse, nor have I had any changes in vision or anything else that warrants immediate attention.
      I've notified my doctor and I will be hearing back from him on Monday.
      Should I be worried? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I don't want to stop taking it because I don't want to stop sleeping again.
      I wonder if the rash will disappear as my body gets used to the medication.
      Any feedback is appreciated!
    • I need to talk (some TW)
      By Clarice
      I've been avoiding this site like the plague for a while. I think. I frankly haven't worked up the courage to check my profile yet, to see when I was last here or what i wrote.
      But tonight I really need someone to sort of... acknowledge my words? Too know that i have communicated these thoughts to another person and that it wasn't scary.

I've been telling myself that I'm faking everything related to metal illness. I've been like an opposite Sherlock Holmes piecing together terrible explanations out of the tiniest things to prove to myself i have been an attention seeking liar all along. (Seeing how this has been during months of isolating myself, I'm almost impressed by how convinced i am that I'm seeking attention!)

_____//talk of suicidal stuff!!//________

Two months ago the was a snow storm and i had to travel somewhere by bus. I just gave up, sitting on a bench, wearing just a thin jacket over my clothes, and stayed there for about two hours. At some point in the middle, after i had lost feeling in my hands and while internally berating myself for not admitting just how fine and healthy i was, i could feel the joints in my elbow spassming and laughed out loud at the irony of that. Because i really, really wanted to just stay there and die and never have to deal with anything ever again.
      (One of me had made a call to tell someone where i was, and they would have found me if I hadn't gone home when I did)

________//done with that subject now//__

I keep losing time and it's so fucking scary. Sometimes i feel like i change into someone else, and my lost time is back, fully or partially, but then the other time is missing. Like there is a partial link between the parts of me that remember different things but can sort of give a few impressions of certain memories.

I've been (and am) going through some major real life crisis since maybe spring. So I pressed all my realisation about this stuff, depersonalisation and all, deep down into the bottom of my head. It's starting to come back this week. I think it's because i keep crying in my dreams the last many nights.

I haven't allowed myself to feel too much, mainly because there is no doubt i will break if i feel anything right now. I need to not cry until my basic survival is less threatened than it is right now. If i feel things before i know I'll not be homeless I'll just give up completely. But i keep switching to someone/whoever i was a few years ago and i keep feeling this weird dread that time has passed. I feel unreal and exhausted.

I don't know what I want with this post. I think I just need to tell someone, again, that the problem i have is identifiable and understandable and that I'm not alone. There is a name for this, I'm not doomed, I'll be okay.