Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Did you not seize "right" with ECT?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by TOT

Posted · Report post

Are you saying that ECT is pretty much putting ppl into a seizure? Just curious!

Posted · Report post

Are you saying that ECT is pretty much putting ppl into a seizure? Just curious!

Yep, that is what ECT does, causes a seizure.

Posted · Report post

Thanks to muscle relaxants, it's only a seizure in your brain. Your whole body doesn't need to seize to obtain the beneficial effects on your mental health (and it'd be pretty painful--which ECT used to be in the scary old days). 

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't have a clue if I seized "correctly" because I've never bothered to ask.  I figured with all the memory problems I've had that it must have worked.  Then again, maybe I'm getting old and my memory sucks all on its own.  

As far as the "no complications" thing goes, well, it's all sort of relative.  If you'd like had a heart attack, I'd expect it to be in the chart as a potential complication.  The fact that you had seizures and headaches, well, those are sort of expected.  When I had them I was nauseated as well.  And the headaches, OMG.  The headaches are really the only thing I remember about that time period.

I'm curious.  Why did you even want the records in the first place?  I'm doing my level best to keep what few memories I have about that time locked down where I can't get at them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by TOT

Posted · Report post

I never asked. I don't remember the month during ECT or really any side effects from anesthetic. They withheld my valium the night before, they'd put me out via IV painlessly and I'd wake up fuzzy with a headache. They never told me how long I seized or anything like that, and I don't really care, it helped.

My side effects are amnesia from the time it was being done (I remember some events surrounding it) and during, I don't remember coming to, I just remember going out, then being somewhere (having a smoke, eating a muffin) with a headache. I took 2 extra strength tylenol, the headache went away, I slept all day. I was IP.

Honestly, you had a very negative experience. It should not have been like that.

Posted · Report post

They give you a drug so you don't move and they can tell the length of seizure by watching your toes too.

Posted · Report post

This is what I know from my experience: I have pretty much no memory of the time of the ECT occurring (except for the anesthesiologists face before passing out and some parts of Hurricane Sandy because we were directly effected) memories of the last year are pretty much gone and I would say until I see a picture, memories of the last 3 years are not available. You could argue that I might not remember that long ago because I was depressed, aging, etc., but from what I do remember (this may not sound convincing) and my friends and family tell me, I did have a good memory and I was very intelligent. Now I can barely keep a conversation going because I cannot find the right word in my fried brain. I had a terrible time with executive functions after and still do and it is 3 months post the last day of treatment. I do not believe the ECT was beneficial to me. My pdoc and I stumbled on to a new med and that has helped a lot. So if anyone has not tried Lyrica yet, talk to your pdoc! (No, I am not a pharma. Rep.)