Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How soon after leaving job permenantly should you file for SS

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Once it is determined that you can not return to work, should you file for disability then, or should you wait for a period of time, say 6 months?

Posted · Report post

Do it now, especially if you were just let go because you were considered unable to fulfill your duties. See if your state has disability benefits, too.

Posted · Report post

Definitely as soon as possible. If I'd done it after my last real job, my benefits would be significantly higher. But since I spent two years limping through shit jobs and unemployment, my benefit was much lower. 

It's not really designed for mental illness; I mean if you go blind or become a paraplegic, it's obvious what you "should" be earning without your disability. But I don't think most people say, "fuck, I'm depressed and can't work right now so I should apply through a difficult process that takes up to a year to complete and will likely be rejected the first go around." It took me a long, long time to f igure out that  I should be on disability. 

Posted · Report post

I would do it now. I got SS for depression/OCD the first time around. It took 7 months from the date I applied to start receiving checks.

Posted · Report post

I would definitely do it now.  It can be a long process, plus you have all the info in your mind right now (meaning you probably won't leave anything out by accident because it is all fresh in your mind).

Posted · Report post

I see no reason to wait, you are not hatching eggs.

Posted · Report post

Don't wait do it as soon as you've identified that you can't work. It already takes so long to get approved odds are you will be out of work long enough by the time you are approved.

Posted · Report post

This is fantastic

Posted · Report post

Do it ASAP as it can take years to get SSDI.  If you wait, they will say you were obviously able to work but were just lazy.

Posted · Report post

Thank you everyone. I have started working on a list of my doctors so I have them all in hand.

Posted · Report post

SSDI is also a form of insurance.  If you stop paying your premiums (by working), you also lose coverage.  Seriously, I applied like...  2 months before my coverage would've stopped and they were supppperrrr bitchy about it.

Posted · Report post

saveyour sanity,

I am not sure I understand your post. Yes, Social Security is a form of insurance and is paid into when working. I was not aware of losing coverage when you stop working, only that the amount they pay you may change.

So, if you were out of work in January, you waited until April (example) and had problems?

Posted · Report post

LOL - you made me shoot mt. dew out of my nostrils...That was funny.

Yeah, if you're going to apply then do it. One day I just happen to ask my shrink if he thought I should apply for disability and he said - Absolutely said Y E S because I could not work in my chosen profession. He was in full support of my decision.   So I went to some disability alliance group, and they helped me apply over the phone; it was easy.  I got accepted in about 4 monts or so on my first try. 

Posted · Report post

Tomcat,

Congrats on the quick approval.

How long ago was the approval ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, I was technically laid - off when I applied (not sure what affect that had). I Probably applied in Dec or January...I was approved April 1'st. So, about 3-5 months, I'd say closer to 3 months.  I was really surprised I got so soon and without any hassles.  I get angry with my shrink because I don't feel like they listen to me, but I'm sure it was his notes/records that got me on disability....It has been such a relief, a much more useful "med" than any pharmaceutical.   I've lost so many jobs. Each job loss was just more devastating. It was just tearing my psyche to shreds...I'd have ended up on disability at some point in time, so the inevitable was just hastened. 

Good luck on your application. 

Edited by tomcat13

Posted · Report post

Tomcat,

How long ago did you apply? I am wondering what the current times are.

Posted · Report post

Savannah, I really think it is a case by case basis. My husband just got SSDI in 9 weeks for his epilepsy. But he has incredibly bad epilepsy, and tonic-clonic seizures are pretty spectacular to see. Other people who get it the first time seem to get it at 4-6 months. But truly, it depends. I just applied 3 weeks ago, and expect to have to appeal (apropos of nothing).

Posted · Report post

Tomcat,

How long ago did you apply? I am wondering what the current times are.

I applied around December '10/January '11, and was approved in April 1'st 2011.

Posted · Report post

I have started filling out the disability application online. I can only get so much at a time filled out or I get overwhelmed.

Today I order a copy of my birth certificate.

Posted · Report post

Thank you, confused, I was indeed referring to the Last Insured Date!

My Last Insured Date was less than 18 months after the time I quit working, but that may be because I applied very young to be on disability (24 when it was awarded, 22 at date of application) and I had less than 2 years combined total work history of "full time job".  They didn't really give me a reason that I can see from a quick check of the paperwork.

I have started filling out the disability application online. I can only get so much at a time filled out or I get overwhelmed.

Today I order a copy of my birth certificate.

I get overwhelmed too....Especially since my last job loss. It leaves me more "crippled" after each life trauma I face. Like I said, I found a disability support froup, and they held my hand through the proocess. This is the group I used. I think they are exclusive to my state, MI, but they may be able to redirect you if you call them.     Disability Network of Oakland & Macomb (586) 268-4160 

Edited by tomcat13

Posted · Report post

I filed out the application online and today I got a phone call to review it. To my surprise they changed the start date to the last time I went out on disability (I returned to work for only 3 weeks before going out again).

She said that the wait time is 7-9 months.

They also referenced when I was on Ssdi in the past, even though it had been many years ago. Hopefully that will help also.

I filed out the application online and today I got a phone call to review it. To my surprise they changed the start date to the last time I went out on disability (I returned to work for only 3 weeks before going out again).

She said that the wait time is 7-9 months.

They also referenced when I was on Ssdi in the past, even though it had been many years ago. Hopefully that will help also.

How many years ago were you on ssdi?  If it was 5 years or less you can get expedited reinstatment

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/exr.htm

Edited by confused

Posted · Report post

Confused,

Unfortunately it was before that time.