Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

what meds are you given for binge eating disorder?

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am on topamax 300 and now effexor xr lexapro was making me worse, i dont only have binge eating but the binge eating was what was making things really bad. Anyone else get percribed meds for it along with their anxiety depression?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It hasn't been prescribed specifically for it, but Wellbutrin has been really good about making me not hungry. Sometimes it's a bad thing because I won't eat all day and then will wonder why I'm so weak, so it's good to try to force yourself to eat a little healthy. I'm on Adderall XR too though so the combination may potentiate it. I should add though that even though I haven't been diagnosed with an eating disorder or anything, before these meds I binge ate a LOT.

Edited by koali777

Posted · Report post

I think it would be good to know more about your history, other diagnoses and what you are on and have tried. Eating problems can sometimes be their own disorders or they can be symptoms of something else, like depression.

Even if you do find a good med combo for you, ultimately it is you who has to do the work. Are you currently seeing a tdoc and/or nutritionist? What about your lifestyle? Are you trying to make changes to that too?

Posted · Report post

I've been told Zoloft can help, it just made me violent. Wellbutrin, also. CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) too, is a good idea. Probably cheaper than meds!

Posted · Report post

I'm on Naltrexone for food issues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm not on anything for my binge eating disorder. But I am starting to beat it :D It's emotional. Meds may seem like the best solution but ultimately it won't fix the problem. Once you stop the pills it's going to come back. You have to fight it off. I know you can do it. I am starting to do it and I have had BED for a year and a half. 

P.S. If your binge eating is CAUSED by another disorder or medication then ignore me lol

Edited by Bipolar_Flower