Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radicalfeminist

Seroquel XR - Can I cut it in half?

8 posts in this topic

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Switching from Seroquel to Latuda
      By Bubble
      My issue: Bipolar II, severe depression and anxiety, as well as insomnia.
      I've been taking Seroquel for about two years. I take 200mg Seroquel in combination with 200mg Lamictal. This combination has worked fairly well for me, so far, in at least alleviating my depression enough to make me functional. I haven't had serious side effects beyond light periods (but those could also be caused by my IUD), gaining like 10 lbs over 2 years, and serious grogginess in the morning that's really hard to shake. I have a lot of trouble getting out of bed and it takes me 2 hours to fully wake up. It also makes me, as my mother describes it, "spacey".
      I recently switched to a new psychiatrist and primary physician due to changing jobs and health insurance. I'd been having regular blood tests done, but the new primary doc and psychiatrist didn't like the results of my most recent one (for my kidneys). New psych also seems to really dislike Seroquel and preferred I switch to something different/newer, and wants me to try Latuda. I agreed to do so mainly because the Seroquel doesn't completely help my depression and definitely does not help my anxiety, which has been problematic lately.
      I'm having trouble remembering to eat with my Latuda, too, which worries me. From what I understand, it doesn't work as well without food.
      For those of you who have switched from Seroquel (or even another atypical) to Latuda, what was your experience like? Was the Latuda better, worse, or neither?
    • Switch from Seroquel XR to IR inducing hypomania?
      By uncannievalley
      I'm a first-year grad student and quite a ways from home and thus my usual pdoc and GP. In need of a refill I saw the psychiatrist at our student counseling center. Claiming that the XR was nothing but a cheap attempt to extend the patent, he switched me from 300mg XR to 300mg IR. My wallet loves it, but I don't. I'd been more or less episode-free for three years but I've recently experienced a roaring return of anxiety, my subthreshold panic attacks, and hypomanic symptoms. I chalked it up to midterms, general grad school stress, or just being a weak baby, and after going home to see my GP this week, we decided to try increasing the dose to 400mg to see if that would reign things back in. But it's just dawned on me that the onset of the return of my symptoms lines up fairly well with my switch to the IR. I've seen a lot of people posting about transitioning from the IR to the XR, but not much about the other way around. Anyone else had the IR train dropped on em?
    • Prozac/ atypicals for depression
      By sadgirl96
      So I have been on quite a medication journey the past few months, which began with my first hospitalization may of last year. I started taking zoloft (eventually 150mg) when I was in 7th/8th grade for ocd and depression. Worked pretty well for about six years, had normal/good energy level and not too many bad days. My senior year of high school I started to feel the zoloft was no longer working so added wellbutrin for around 2 weeks but felt no different. (looking back, I probably should I have given it more time).  Made the transition to college, adjusted pretty well, but then zoloft stopped working completely and abruptly.  Over the next few months, I tried brintellix, effexor, celexa, abilify, trileptal and some xanax and klonopin here and there. Ever since I stopped the celexa I have felt completely depersonalized and like my brain is in a fog. A little over a month ago I started prozac and lithium. I added buspar a few days ago for the crippling anxiety I have been dealing with. The first week of the prozac I felt a little better, more energy to get up and do things but still really depersonalized. Did generally better than I had been doing before on the prozac, but seemed to be loosing energy quickly. Fast forward to this week (4 weeks after I started Lithium and Prozac) and I feel absolutely awful. Thoughts of suicide, lots of sadness, 0 energy and incredibly depersonalized. Extremely hard to get out of bed and do stuff. Walking a few blocks seems like a marathon and I feel more fatigued than I ever have before. I've had trouble concentrating on things, reading, getting work done for a while now but it feels even worse these past few days. Wondering if anyone has any guesses what this might be about. I am up to 40 mg prozac, 600 mg lithium, and 15 mg buspar per day, and I am a pretty small woman. I'm worried about feeling this bad after 4 weeks on prozac because it seems like most people notice positive changes around 4 weeks and I seem to have taken a turn for the worse. I feel pretty defeated and am interested in trying some atypical antipsychotics, namely zyprexa or seroquel. If anyone has any experience with these in terms of unipolar depression/ major depressive disorder I would be really curious to hear your input. I was thinking of possibly starting zoloft again and adding one of those atypicals, but obviously I have to talk to my dr. I know that I should ultimately make these decisions with my doctor, but any input that could help me make some decisions would be great. Thanks. 
    • Did Wellbutrin stop working for me after 4 weeks?
      By J04KlM
      When i was on week 3 of 150 mg Wellbutrin, the depresion lifted and i felt better. Motivation and energy came back. Depression wasn't all completely gone though, so i wanted to increase the dosage to 300 mg. At the end of week 4 however, i had a massive anxiety panic attack because of something i read online that really confused me. So whole week 5 i spent with massive anxiety, screaming, crying and loss of joy. Obsessing over what i read. 
      3 days ago I contacted my phsyciatrist, and decided to increase Wellbutrin to 300 mg and Seroquel to 100 mg. Since then i've been feeling  lethargic, empty and demotivated. Just like how i felt before i started on Wellbutrin.
      Does this indicate that Wellbutrin stopped working for me? Or could it be the Seroquel making me feel like this?
    • Metformin or switching drugs for AAP weight loss?
      By frog
      Hi all,
      I'm at my wit's end due to weight gain from Seroquel (that I take as a bipolar mood stabilizer). I've been on it since 2006, and have gained 70 lbs, about 50 lbs above baseline. That puts me at 5'6" and 211 lbs. I don't eat like a pig, yet I keep getting bigger, unless I really restrict myself, and then my weight just stays stable until I let myself go again. Before the Seroquel, I had a baseline weight of about 165, even though I didn't eat perfectly.
      I feel ugly and horrible about this, especially worried that I'll get diabetes in the next few years (I'm 36). My doctor has suggested we start me on metformin because it's been shown to reverse AAP-related weight gain, and I'm considering it. BUT the studies I've read don't really impress me. I mean, losing 10 lbs? That's it? Is that really worth it? That's not really fixing the problem, is it?
      Has anyone here had success losing more than a tiny amount of weight with metformin? If not, what strategies did you use? Was it even possible to lose weight on Seroquel? (My experience says only with a low-carb diet, but that rebounded terribly when I went off the diet. Lost 25 lbs, gained 35 back.) Did you have to switch meds? (I've tried so many, and so far Seroquel is the only mood stabilizer I can tolerate.) Which ones are weight-neutral and also have anti-manic/mood stabilizing properties?
      FYI I have Bipolar 1 with manic episodes every 2 years or so (give or take half a year), then depression, followed by stability for some time, sometimes years. I've already tried and not had success with Geodon, risperidone, Lamictal, lithium and valproate, either due to them not working or the side effects. At one point I was also on Wellbutrin with the Seroquel, but it caused me more frequent manias.
      Thanks,
      frog