CrazyBoards.org

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rebird77
      Does anyone take Geodon as their main AAP/MS and seroquel as a sleep aid?
      I just started Geodon, and so far I love it. I'm on a low dose, and expect to up it on my next pdoc visit. Prozac is causing me to be hypomanic and rapid cycle some though. So, I'm going to go off it on my next visit. The first few days were great until the Prozac kicked in. Then, I started getting hypo/mixed, but not as bad since I had help from Geodon. Still it was not fun. Still isn't fun. I had 4 days where I felt normal. It was a gift.
      the issue with geodon is I am not sleeping well at all. I can't fall asleep. I'm taking 20 mg in the am and 40 mg at night before I titrate up. I think I need a sleep aid. I tried taking Tylenol pm but Benadryl makes me rapid cycle after extended use. Geodon is keeping it in check kind of but it's not comfortable and I'm not stable, but I'm better than before. 
      I don't know if seroquel is my only option for sleep, or if there is something else that I can use long term. I need ideas to ask my pdoc about on Monday. the sleep issue is getting serious. I had extra seroquel left, and took 50 mg last night because I was desperate, but I'm scared of drug interactions. Any experience or advice?
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Hey guys.
      I’ve been pretty stable on Depakote, but it sure does come with some undesirable side effects. Somehow it makes me feel overwhelmed. It’s kind of a brain fog 2.0 feeling. Also it haven’t helped much with my anxiety, and there’s still some depression left too. 
      I’m also on 2 antidepressants and a small dose of gabapentin, with no luck.
      What are your experiences with lithium or seroquel? I do not want to feel like a zombie and also do not want to feel too flat or foggy
    • By svr
      Hi,
      I take generic Quetiapine 200 mg for anxiety and insomnia. There was a lot of improvement but I still suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. My doc tried increasing the Quetiapine dose up to 400 mg but I didn't notice any improvement. Looks like 200 mg is the optimum dose.
      If my sleep quality is good, the day will be very calm and relaxed.
      I observed that if I take Quetiapine 200 mg + Diazepam 10 mg before sleep then my anxiety/panic attacks are totally under control. Sleep quality was very good. There was no daytime drowsiness either. It was just perfect. But the problem is that benzodiazepines are not for long-term use.
      So, we have been trying to find other medications that can augment Quetiapine just like Diazepam did.
      Quetiapine 200 mg + Trazodone 50 mg caused a lot of drowsiness and daytime dizziness. I could not take the combination for more 5 days. Quetiapine 200 mg + Tegretol 300 mg actually reduced the sleep quality and increased anxiety (Tegretol and Trileptal reduce the effectiveness of Quetiapine). Quetiapine 200 mg + Lithium caused a lot of daytime drowsiness but there was no improvement in my anxiety/panic attacks. What other medications can I take along with Quetiapine before sleep to further improve the sleep quality?
      Is anyone taking any medications in addition to Quetiapine before sleep?
      Thank you for your responses.
    • By rebird77
      I’ve been on seroquel a little over a week after my second biggest breakdown since I was diagnosed 10 years ago.
      The good news:
      Im getting better. I’m titrating up on lamictal, on 300 mg gabapentin a day, 50 mg seroquel at night, and .5 klonopin at night.
      Only one tiny paranoid thought all week, and I thought: slow down, what is a more logical cause for this problem - rather than someone sabatoging me. Of course, I found the problem & it certainly didn’t involve anyone sabatoging me. It was just a billing error on an account. So I fixed it and moved on. 
      The bad news:
      First night on seroquel: took 25 mg and slept better than ever but woke up with arm and leg in the air. That was weird.
      Second to Fourth nights: went up to 50 mg. Slept well. Craved chocolate or ice cream. Woke up every night in middle of the night with leg wrapped on top of futon (I was at my sister’s). Started having weird dreams where things were happening in my normal daily life & waking up wondering if something was a dream or real.
      Fifth night to now: waking up many times all night long. Having vivid nightmares that wake me up in the night, still having confusing reality dreams too. I do feel better each day.
      I saw my pdoc yesterday for weekly appt and he said he doesn’t like me having the nightmares. We are keeping me on it one more week to see. I asked him if maybe my sever anxiety is coming out in my dreams since I don’t feel it when I’m awake. I have debilitating anxiety and depersonalization with my bad BP mixed episodes, which this last one was terrible and lasted months. I did close on my first house yesterday and move in today, so I finallly get everything out of storage that’s been in there for 6 months and I will finally sleep in my own bed. The optimist in me hopes this will resolve the sleep problems, but the realist in me already knows something is off with these nightmares.
      Side note: good news about my pdoc, he is a psychiatrist, neurologist and psychotherapist. So, next week we are having an hour long psychotherapy session so I can learn how to navigate the world so I’m healthy and can manage bipolar. I told him I’ve finally come to peace with how severe it is, and I have to adjust my life. I’m in a high stress job and know I can’t just take meds and go back to “normal”.
      At the same time I just recently discontinued 400 mg tegretol, 150 lithium and doxepin a day, so my brain chemistry certainly isn’t stable right now. I think of it as a weird soup that’s just not ready yet. 
      Any advice or experience with seroquel to share?
    • By manuka
      I have quite a long history of major depressive disorder, with anxiety, along with an ED that I've recovered and relapsed with several times over the last 15 years.
      Over the years I've been prescribed paxil(gave me double vision), citalopram (worked well for around 12 years, but left me constantly exhausted and flat) and currently effexor-xr/venlafaxine. I'm currently spiraling down pretty badly, after over a year of several traumatic events and other stressors, and my dr has prescribed seroquel/quetiapine 25mg, to help me sleep and as an ajunct to the effexor I'm already taking. I've taken it two nights so far, and I don't know if I should persevere with it or not. It helps me sleep alright, I'm asleep by 10:30pm, instead of still being awake at 3am, however I have such a hangover that doesn't wear off until about 5pm, and it seems to be making me angry and even more depressed.
      This is a small dose so it shouldn't be hitting me so hard? Should I persevere? I'm currently not functional due to MDD, have had to take time off work, don't know if I even still have a job. I'm also struggling with the idea of taking an antipsychotic when I'm not psychotic. The stigma etc. Which is in my own head because the only people who know I'm taking it are my self and my dr. And I'm afraid of losing my intelligence on it. I pride myself on my intelligence. It's the only strength I feel I have.