Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radicalfeminist

Seroquel XR - Can I cut it in half?

8 posts in this topic

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By ihatemyself
      Hello.
      After trying zoloft, prozac, abilify, and latuda, I was prescribed seroquel for bpd/depression. I am nearly 3 weeks (19 days to be exact) into and I'm not liking it at all. I have no energy or motivation, really hard to wake up, feel like im almost in a dream, and also experiencing constipation/stomach bloating (triggering body image problems). I am wondering how long I should stay with it to see if the side effects go away. I was thinking 1 month, as my next psych appointment will be right around the 30 day mark. However, I kind of want to stop taking it now, but i dont want to quit too early and possibly miss out on a well working med. The psychs i've seen always say how ap's start working so much faster than ad's so I dont know.
      Thanks!
    • By mmaryland
      Hi everyone,
      I've been wondering about people's experience who have been on both the immediate release and extended release version of Seroquel. I have only tried the IR, and it knocked me out at doses from 25mg-100mg and when i woke up it felt so impossible to get out of bed and get ready for the day, then the rest of the day was alright as long as I took my ADHD medication. My current problems are under control, for the most part, I am just looking for other's who have had different experiences with the IR vs the XR version of Seroquel so that I can have insight if I need to consider treatment with quetiapine in the future. 
      I'm mostly interested in the effectiveness to squash mania, the difference in sedation between the 2 different formulations and if anyone uses Seroquel on a PRN basis, for example only taking Seroquel when you are feeling manic and cannot sleep or feel mania coming on, please reply and let me know how this works and how your doctor feels about this treatment. If you do use it as PRN, do you use the XR or instant release formulation? I also am interested in anyone who takes ADHD stimulants with Seroquel and feels that the Seroquel makes their medication for ADHD less effective? I feel that my Rexulti may be making my Dexedrine and Zenzedi somewhat less effective and am considering getting off Rexulti if necessary and my pdoc agrees. Thanks for your replies!!
    • By TimR
      So glad to find this page and forum...
      So my story in short form.
      Bi Polar 1
      Never accepted my dagnosis, not alone on that I am sure...but cannot beleive at aged 46 I finally get it...The destruction of the last episode has killed everything in my life. 5 months...beaten up various times, putting myself at pure risk, buying BMW I cannot afford, spent about 20k Euros, throwing out of the house my 12 year life partner, renting  houses, buying stuff, Pyscotic magical thinking,  (living in italy the religosity is hard to escape.) Cannot do this again...Now in the depths of the worst crippleing depression.
      So I finally get it, I am, I have Bi polar its not a mass jewish(Where this distrust of this comes from Ido not know ) consirpacy to have us all sedated?
      Please note I am pro people and the jewish people but I am not anti semetic, but Iseem to be so when I am manic...very odd, so please do not take exception to that comment. 
      I always seem in Mania to become fixated on the idea that these drugs are just killing us. Cannot understand why in these 5 months nobody tried to have me brought in to a hosptial. That hurts, Whenone is so obviously out of control why do you have to bring yourself in so to speak? All or some of  the destruction could have been  avoided.
      SO after literally waking up 5 months later, Iam in the loneliest dreadful space, living in a town Ihave no friends, no family and in a llanguage Ihave about a 40% handle on. Iamamazed in this mania I did not do something more terrible, hurting myself or someone..
      Got a Pdoc, he has put me on a crushing regieme of  Quietipinia 25mg x2 , Olanzipan 5x2 and Valpo Acid 600 (slow release) and Akineton for shakes, something to stop the muscles and dead arm syndrome...I am sure alot of you have been here...But apart from wanting to share this I sat and looked at all these pills read up as much as I can on this and does it feel so odd to be killing myself slowly with these pills to possibly / hopefully not getting manic again...Seems to me I can only find the Negative side effects. its only been 6 days on these pills, apart from all the negatives I only feel less anxious...But all I have to face now is the consewuences of what Ihave been doing for 5 months.. the bills the speeding tickets.  Facing all this alone is too much for one person. I think it is so incredible that people live and thrive on being along, I do not think I am one of thoese people.
      I am angry that no one intervened to the authorites fro me, perhaps Italy just does it like this.
      So why post and what to ask for....
      Well I guess to say well done for being part of this community and also to ask, is there anyone out there who has been pleased with their pill regime?  Any happy stories out there?
      As for the insiatable need for food at all times does anyone know what I could ask my doctor to prescribe to lessen the need to eat, its just constant?  

Feeling already that the best of life is over and all Ihave left to live for is pills, interventions and I have used up all the joy alloted to myself prior.
      So my name is Tim I live in Italy and I am definitly owning and finally able to admit to myself and others Iam Bi Polar (chronic) apparently...The more you have these episodes the worse they get, seems to me to be my case even if they are years inbetween.
      My job is alcohol, and to be told Imust not drink is not only implausible,  Ijust cannot erase the only thing I hae left that gives me a tiny enjoyement, anyone experienced with Pdrugs and  alcohol? 
      After such a long Mania I guess its nornal to be completely brain exhausted? This brain exhaustion is showing itself as impaired congative functioning,  inability to think properly or remmeber...feel like I have lost 30% of my functioning... any one else had such a long period of Mania? 
      So thats me...wishing you all light love and happiness on this journey called Full spectrum Bi Polar. 
      Saluti de Italia
      Tim

• By crazy_diamond
      I have been taking 25mg at bedtime for sleep and anxiety since December. It caused me to become a zombie, constipated, bloated and crazy heartburn. The last dose I took was last Monday night. I skipped last tuesdays dose as I had to be at an appointment very early the next morning. Well later that day I started getting nausea. Then came vomit and diarrhea. Hot flashes, sweating, insomnia. I decided to stop taking it as after dealing with stomach issues that left me bed ridden. Are these symptoms of withdrawal? How long do you think this will last if so? Anything to help sleep? The insomnia is crazy. I purchased some nausea meds and the hot flashes and chill seems to be dicapting. I still have a lot of anxiety, sorta of feels like adrenaline if that makes sense. I hope someone has a comment.