Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radicalfeminist

Seroquel XR - Can I cut it in half?

8 posts in this topic

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By meltymelt
      The antypicals and i tend not to get along though I need them. Most of them have given me some sort of EPS except for seroquel, zyprexia (which after i stopped taking all my friends said that i had i turned ito a zombie) and saphris (which is not covered by insurance where i live...). Risperdol is the only one I havent tried. Does it cause EPS? I wish I could continue on with seroquel but after ECT my brain chemistry changed and know i can take 50 mg and go to yoga class. True story. Ugh.
    • By Jurk07
      This is amazing. I've been labled depemding where ive been (prison,jail,psych,rehab,clinics)  with borderline bipolar, depression, add, Ptsd and borderline personality. No one can tell me what I am. Prolly the reason for such a fucked life led by myself calling all the shots. I'm fucking broken and need help. I know most here are not Dr's, like 99 percent lol. But, I'd love some sort of feedback.
      I'm 26 parents both hate me for constant raging outbursts. Just left, more like kicked out, of my son's mothers house. I burn down anything I touch. I feel no empathy twprds other and throw around that I don't feel ever. I don't have feels. This is untrue cus I can easily fall in love and stay this way for months to years. It takes that person to do me wrong, or what I view as wrong for me to unlove them. I resented my son for the first 6 mos of his life and hated myself for it. I'm always always there for him even with the split, altho I get tired of him fast.
      My current gf has anxiety bad. Like cry yell dominate and take over everyone's attention. But I love her so so much meds or not. I have terrible issues with people looking at questions and not replying to me. I can also lose all happiness at the turn of a switch, for the smallest reason. Anything else anyone's wondering ask away. Looking for 100 percent feedback. Oh shit Dr has me on seroquel for moods currently searching Vyvanse or Adderall to pair. Previouslytaken effexor, lithium, thorzine, zoloft, xanax, valum, Prozac, welbutrin ect......
    • By Catwoman
      Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I posted an intro topic which can be found here for anyone who's interested :-)

The escitalopram I was using pooped out after 6 years, so I needed to find something new and I saw a psychiatrist recently.
      I was put on sertraline 10 days ago. So far so good. No real side effects. I'm on 50 mg,  that's hardly a therapeutic dose, right? I want to go to 100 or a little more, and see how it goes.

What he also said that I could take quetiapine / Seroquel 'as needed'. Never heard of this but I suppose since he's the doctor he would know.
      Are there any people here who take an anti-psychotic 'as needed'?

I won't see this pdoc anytime soon....he only does consultations for my general doctor's office, so I can't ask more questions.
      I don't know if I have to wait for the sertraline to kick in?

My issues: I call it 'stuck thought syndrome' because the classic Pure O is more about scary/bizarre/agressive/sexual thoughts and I don't have these.
      But it has become a big obsession for me to get rid of a certain unwanted thought. It's really intrusive, it comes back often, I get anxious, I try to find solutions, ruminate about it all the time...It's always the same thought bugging me and after 10 years of therapy I'm still not able to let it go. I have a big aversion to this thought so that is probably why it keeps coming back.
      Fluvoxamine pooped out on me in 2010, but helped me a lot, later on escitalopram was helpful....but with sertraline I can't tell yet. I hope it will work, and I really dread the antipsychotics because of side effects. I don't know if I'm going to gain weight on it but I really don't want to. 
      But maybe I don't need to worry about this side effect because I just take it whenever this thought comes back and gets stuck again?

The pdoc said it's a really good med for getting thoughts 'loosen up' and 'unstuck'. Could be just what I need! 

• By Laptopdancer
      I'm currently in 600 mg of Seroquel XR (been on it at least 4-5 years with 800 mg as my mania dose) and my new pdoc wants to switch me to Abilify since the weight gain on Seroquel has been HUGE, and contributes to my poor self image. She wants me to do it rapidly--over 2-3 weeks by doing the following: 1 week at 300 mg, next at 150 mg and then stop all together. She's told me that I have to prepare for it being "hospitalization bad" while I come off of it. She then will have me start taking Abilify since she says it's got a lower weight gain profile. 

I'm scared and nervous because we have an 8 year old daughter who hasn't seen me "hospital bad" in almost 4 years. I'm very age appropriate when it comes to my depressive symptoms (sleep issues, irritability, fussiness, etc)--my manic symptoms don't really need explanation since I'm usually depressed more than manic--plus, I tend to feel sped up, energized, impatient, and super insightful and creative  (thinking I can solve any problem or start a new business that will make a ton of money) when manic. I'm kinda high strung when "well" so my impatience isn't really unlike me--although, I do know that when I see myself as a "rabid dog" in my interactions with my husband and daughter--I know I'm getting manic.
      At any rate, I just worry about falling apart during this discontinuation. Also, it was supposed to start last Friday, but my husband has some work stuff to wrap up so he and my pdoc said it's best to start next month. I know you're supposed to be optimistic, but I'm fearing "decompensation me" reappearing and what that will do to me...my husband and family. It's so exhausting to have a breakdown. I'm working with my tdoc on a crisis plan so by February, I should have a better sense of how to manage things.   
      I guess I needed to vent. Thanks for reading and or responding. 
    • By TarahAnn
      Hi everyone. I'm currently taking 400mg Seroquel XR in the morning, sodium valproate 200mg 3times a day, 300mg seroquel nightly (all for bipolar type 1 & 2.5mgs-5mg Neulactil when required for severe paranoia & anxiety. Let me start by saying this combination is working quiet well so far compared to all previous combinations. I've been on seroquel for the longest out of all these medications (1 year 7 months) & I've always had extremely vivid dreams & nightmares from that.
      i generally take the Neulactil with my nighttime meds & ive noticed that since I've started taking it the dreams are getting a lot scarier and harder to distinguish from reality. If it's a pleasant vivid dream I wake up with a feeling of disappointment because it felt so real & I it's a nightmare I wake up with a feeling of relief because I could of sworn it was real (even though in my sound mind I know they are not)
      Has anyone else experienced worsening of dreams/nightmares when starting Neulactil ? I haven't been able to find much info about the drug at all, let alone this specific issue. Thanks in advance.