CrazyBoards.org

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By manuka
      I have quite a long history of major depressive disorder, with anxiety, along with an ED that I've recovered and relapsed with several times over the last 15 years.
      Over the years I've been prescribed paxil(gave me double vision), citalopram (worked well for around 12 years, but left me constantly exhausted and flat) and currently effexor-xr/venlafaxine. I'm currently spiraling down pretty badly, after over a year of several traumatic events and other stressors, and my dr has prescribed seroquel/quetiapine 25mg, to help me sleep and as an ajunct to the effexor I'm already taking. I've taken it two nights so far, and I don't know if I should persevere with it or not. It helps me sleep alright, I'm asleep by 10:30pm, instead of still being awake at 3am, however I have such a hangover that doesn't wear off until about 5pm, and it seems to be making me angry and even more depressed.
      This is a small dose so it shouldn't be hitting me so hard? Should I persevere? I'm currently not functional due to MDD, have had to take time off work, don't know if I even still have a job. I'm also struggling with the idea of taking an antipsychotic when I'm not psychotic. The stigma etc. Which is in my own head because the only people who know I'm taking it are my self and my dr. And I'm afraid of losing my intelligence on it. I pride myself on my intelligence. It's the only strength I feel I have.
    • By Quakermom74
      I realize that I have been having a bad physical reaction to remeron since I started taking it near the end of November. I am currently taking 7.5 mg, cutting down from 15 mg two weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone had stopped taking remeron after being on a 7.5 mg dose or do you need to break that in half? I was also wondering if anyone had gone from remeron to seroquel? I am already having a hard time sleeping and was thinking about going back to my old 50 mg seroquel dose at night instead of the remeron. I will see nurse practitioner on Monday but wanted to hear experiences from other people.
    • By Zaroxley
      I’ve been dealing with major depressive disorder and anxiety for several years now. I’ve read a lot of books on psychology and neurology. But I’ve only recently started seeing a psychiatrist. I was getting prescriptions from general physicians. Currently I’m on Wellbutrin and it works great for my depression but my anxiety still shows up. I told my doctor that it feels like an under-lying current. The anxiety is constant but I keep it at bay. He prescribed me Seroquel 25mg. Today is my second day on it. I don’t think I really knew how to describe my anxiety before today because today my brain feels silent. It’s like before there was a constant negative voice, my own voice - I guess, that would always repeat any negative thought I ever had. All my doubts were vocalized by this voice. I’ve never described it as a voice before because I always associated it with just thoughts. But today those thoughts are not there. I’m calm and that’s weird. So my question is, is it really anxiety? 
    • By Motoko
      So I recently went off antipsychotics after having been on them for nearly seven years.  They weren't helping with what I needed the most help with and I (and my shrink) suspected they were responsible for the anhedo'nic malaise I've been suffering from for years now.  At first I was resistant to get off them because I really thought I needed them, but then I ran out and didn't get it refilled for a couple of weeks and was like, "Hey, I don't feel DEAD inside."  And I wasn't suffering any bad effects from NOT taking them, so I figured I would just take them on as as-needed basis.  Which happens about once every two weeks.  I just get hamster wheel brain and have to shut it off.
      And so far that's been working out really well.  I'm curious how long it's taken for others who have gotten off them to get them out of your system.  I haven't taken any Haldol in over a month, but it was just in the last few days that I really felt like I'd "woken up".  I can write again.  I haven't written anything other than cryptic Facebook posts since 2014.  I've done nothing but read Facebook and the news and watch tv and movies since I quit my job four years ago, which I had to do because I couldn't function at it anymore.  I was constantly forgetting things and fucking up, it was awful.  Looking back I can't be sure if it's because of the illness or the meds.  I don't really care anymore.  I'm awake again.
      Thankfully my bipolar disorder isn't so severe that I need APs all the time anymore.  I think at first I did, but I've changed a lot over the last several years since I was diagnosed.  I don't have the same issues as I once did.  I'm a lot more stable.  I still take my other meds, mostly so I can sleep, since I also have a sleep disorder (a manageable one, thank the gods).  The meds kept me from doing the thing that was probably the healthiest thing I was doing for myself: meditating.  Now that I can focus and concentrate again, I can get back to a sitting practice, which gives me the mindfulness I need to stay on top of the little cues my brain gives me when I might be about to do something...off.
      It's nice not to be swimming in glue anymore.
    • By JasonAl
      Hi all,
      Im new here so bare with me.Ive suffered with Depression and Anxiety and OCD all of my life and a few years back I learned I had Bipolar Disorder and my pdoc started treating me with every antipyschotic there is and everyone of them(Risperdal,Invega,Saphris,Latuda,Geodon,Abilify)gave me a world of side effects like the anti depressants did growing up.The only thing that has help this far has been benzo’s but I use them as last resort due to I dont wanna get addicted.Ok so that leads me to last week when pdoc rx’d me my last chance Seroquel IR 400mg which was to be taking all at night before bed.well the first two days it make me a little tired but after that I can take it like candy without getting the sedation like everyone else so I started to take it in the morning with the rest of my meds but Ive noticed it seems like it doesnt matter when I take it its not lasting 24hrs.I mean for the most part Im doing well for only being on it for 11 days but Im still having a slight problem with anxiety and irritablity and intrusive thoughts.Maybe I havent taken it long enough?Maybe I need a higher dose?Maybe I need the XR?When she rx’d it to me I asked for the XR and she flat out refused and I dont know why,maybe because Im on call 24hrs a day with work,I see her again on the 11th of Jan and Im gonna again ask for the XR and see what she says,I do remember her saying it wasent generic,maybe that was the reason which I know it is because I was told at the pharmacy it was,anyway,I know everyone is diff and reacts diff on meds but I need all the advice and support I can get with this med because I like it the best out of them all.I also take Lamictal 300mgXL, and Topamax200mg, Thanks in advance.

l