Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radicalfeminist

Seroquel XR - Can I cut it in half?

8 posts in this topic

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By sofismos
      Hello. Around a week ago my Seroquel dose got increased from 150mg a day to 300mg a day. I take it for bipolar I and autism spectrum disorder. I take 150mg early in the morning, before school and the other half before going to sleep. 
      I'm feeling extremely tired and drowsy. I find it hard to concentrate which is an issue because I have a very demanding academic life that requires me to be awake and cognitively at my peak. Since it manages my psychosis and makes me able to tolerate life I am reluctant to stop taking it. I have taken risperidone and amisulpride before but they make me extremely irritable/ don't quite stop the psychosis.
      In addition to Seroquel I take 20mg of escitalopram (lexapro generic). My question is, will the tiredness go away? Or do I ask for a change? 
    • By sofismos
      Hello. Around a week ago my Seroquel dose got increased from 150mg a day to 300mg a day. I take it for bipolar I and autism spectrum disorder. I take 150mg early in the morning, before school and the other half before going to sleep. 
      I'm feeling extremely tired and drowsy. I find it hard to concentrate which is an issue because I have a very demanding academic life that requires me to be awake and cognitively at my peak. Since it manages my psychosis and makes me able to tolerate life I am reluctant to stop taking it. I have taken risperidone and amisulpride before but they make me extremely irritable/ don't quite stop the psychosis.
      In addition to Seroquel I take 20mg of escitalopram (lexapro generic). My question is, will the tiredness go away? Or do I ask for a change? 
    • By Angerr
      Hi, i'm new here and i havent been diagnosed yet but ive been having hallucinations and what i now (thanks to my therapist) think are delusions maybe idk but the thing is i saw my pdoc about a week ago he didint ask me almost any questions and didnt answer mine he limitated only to prescribing 25mg of seroquel for two weeks. After a while of taking it maybe a week im not even sure what day it is but anyway yesterday i got really sick from it i have low blood preasure and idk he never asked about it but now i read around and if you have that you shouldnt take seroquel because it makes you even more dizzy than usual (i almost faint everytime i try to get up or even move my head around) i had to stop taking it and i cant call my doctor yet and im planning to see a new one because i think this one hates me and doesnt believe me or that he is part of this messed up reality and cooperates with this other beings to make my life shit. What do you guys think i should do i can get help but only after monday (were in a weird week in my country and nobody works until then) i cant take the seroquel because it makes me really dizzy i cant even move but dont think i should stop it because my hallucinations dont stop and everything still seems really weird (but the seroquel didnt help either). Idk just want to know what you think youve been struggling with this longer i just need to survive 4-5 days do you think i can do it without the pills (they werent working anyways).
    • By nomadsland
      I was on Seroquel for years and decided to change to Zyprexa hoping that the side effects would be less.  Zyprexa turned out to be worse and so I changed back to seroquel and got really bad akathisia.  So I changed back to Zyprexa again for a couple of months then decided to give the seroquel a try again, starting at a low dosage and increasing it slowly.  When I increased the dosage to 200mg I suddenly started getting severe panic attacks and a sense of dread and anxiety that would not go away.  So I changed back to Zyprexa again.  This was about a month ago and the anxiety has not gone anywhere.  I live with a sense of dread and panic every minute of every day.  Could this be akathisia again?  The last time I had it I couldn't sit still which is different now, its just a sense of inner distress that hangs with me.  I don't know what to do!  My doctor thinks its just normal anxiety but I really feel like the seroquel caused some kind of physiological change, its completely abnormal for me.
    • By Laptopdancer
      I'd like to start by saying that I'm tapering off of Seroquel XR. I have a diagnosis of bipolar I, anxiety and panic disorders, and BPD.  I'm down to 37.5 mg  of Seroquel IR 2 times a day and originally I was on 600 mg ER for stability and 800 mg when manic.    Just FYI: I was accidentally sent a 3 month supply of iR so since I'm tapering off, I switched to using it rather than paying for more XR.     My taper was 1 week at 300 mg and 2 mg Abilify and then a week at 150 mg Seroquel and 5 mg of Abilify. That where I am now until this  Wednesday when I'm supposed to keep the Seroquel as-is and up the Abilify to 10 mg.   I'm not sleeping well at all even with Using either Ambien or Trazadone. My doc gave me both to try and get at least some sleep. Today I finally had a meltdown. Ive been trying too just keep my shut together with the bare minimum of leaving the house. I get up around 3 am and can't go back to sleep. I don't take more sleep medicines--should I? I'm so lonely until the dog gets up and I color.    I fell apart largely because my husband puts too much pressure on me to do what he wants to do rather than leaving me alone. He doesn't realize how shitty I feel and how when he tries to push me too far it makes things so much worse. I don't like resting all day. I miss my normal activity level. However, if I don't put my foot down and tell my husband that I'm not going, he has no problem with me running  myself ragged.   I just don't understand why he can't just let me deal with how shitty I feel by just caring for our daughter (he's known this medicine change wasmcoming for a very long time) and not trying to include or guilt trip me into going out. In the past I've gotten really depressed and somewhat manic in situations like this. I wish I could just lock myself in a room until this is over! I'm so irritable and have days that are so long that I think about everything that's happened and feel like I can address all of them right now.    I cried for a good hour or so and told him how badly I've been feeling. I thought it was obvious, apparently it isn't. I'm just trying to hold it together and not end up in the hospital like my pdoc has warned if things get too bad to manage at home.    I think I just needed to vent more than anything. Ugh.