Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radicalfeminist

Seroquel XR - Can I cut it in half?

8 posts in this topic

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By dragonfly23
      My meds are listed below.  Recently, maybe the last few months I seem to be covered with bruises. I dont know where they come from.  (well some I do, I  am a klutz which I blame on seroquel ) Some dont hurt at all and others are painful.  
      It's getting sorta ridiculous.  I see my Pdoc on Wednesday and will bring it to his attention.  Maybe some blood work is in order. 
      Has anybody experienced the same?  Was it med induced or other health issue induced?
    • By Asho2345
      So I just started Luvox (fluvoxamine) 50mg, what's your experiences with it and any advice as to what to expect would be great,
      Asho
    • By inthepines
      Hi,
      I am on lithium 1125mg/day & Abilify 7.5mg-15mg (with doc's approval that it varies between that amount) for bipolar. I am wanting to get off Abilify because it has been causing me mild resting head tremors, unpleasant and intolerable. However whenever I come down too low I predictably experience despondent mood and feel paralysed due to low mood. I've been down to 7.5mg for last five weeks and this has successfully flushed most of it out of my system and reduced side effects to tolerable levels however I decided to increase to 15mg last night due to the return of acute depressive symptoms. This made tremor return by today.  
      My psych is not forthcoming with any other options, I have lobbied for alternatives (there must be some!) for the past year.... nothing just "stick to your meds regime".
      I need to substitute Abilify with something which won't cause shaking and I'm thinking about Seroquel (because I've been on it before) although hesitant due to weight gain. Still... rather be eating more and than have tremors if I had to chose :/. 
      Are these (Abilify and quetiapine) in the same class of anti-psychotics? It is feasible seroquel/quetiapine could have the similar beneficial impacts on my depression? What about off label anti-convulsants like Lyrica? I've tried Lamictal before but it made me "too happy" and I ended up in hospital so wondering if other anti-convulsants would be risky. Any suggestions?
      I'm seeing the doctor in August (earliest appointment). As the shaking is coming back I will stick to the lowest dose he prescribed (7.5mg) to avoid tremors and supplement it with 25mg seroquel (which I still have a supply of from when it used to be a PRN so it is prescribed) hoping my mood will improve. I can't wait for pdoc to see me to begin to try this combo as he's away for three weeks, first appointment I could make with him is scheduled for beginning August... and another doc I want to see for a second opinion is apparently booked up for two months... my GP could be a third option for a sooner consult. To be clear this has been an ongoing issue which has been ignored by doctors as it is not noticeable to them however is clearly noticeable to me and those close to me... things have come to a head because it is getting harder to control by reducing the Abilify.
      Summary:
      Abilify too high = tremors (intolerable side effects)
      Abilify too low = depression (need something to supplement lithium)
      I suffer from bipolar I. I have had a series of hospitalisations for mania, mixed moods, psychosis over past 11-5 years with no hospitalisations in the last 4.5 years, I have experienced an "episode" (pronounced drop or elevation in mood symptoms) maybe about once every six months over the past 5 years.
      Thanks for any help, it helps just to talk about this stuff and know some people are listening who have experienced similar things.
    • By survivingbp
      I'm on Seroquel at the moment, as well as other medications for BP1. Since adding Seroquel, my life has changed - my moods issues and psychosis have not made an appearance, and for the most part my anxiety is under control.
      Most medications don't work for me, so I'm scared by the prospect of stopping Seroquel. How long can people be on it before they have to stop?
    • By LindaMarie64
      I'm trying to figure out if i should finish school to get a full time job or just accept my limitations and pursue some form of financial disability aid.
      Right now I work as a independent commercial/residential cleaner.  I have enough clients to work about 20 or so hours a week.  I'm in the Allied Health Program at my local community college to earn my phlebotomy/clinical lab assistant certificate taking 16 credits. (I know, 16 credits is insane.)  I had to drop the phlebotomy tech class because i was drowning under the massive amount of schoolwork.  I passed Clinical Lab 1 and now i'm trying to pass Clinical Lab 2. 
      My alcoholic husband left me and my 2 kids (ages 18/20) last September to work in CA with a woman with whom he had an affair in 2007. So i am basically functioning as a single mom trying to stay positive and well to provide them with stability that they deserve.
      So far, i haven't missed a mortgage payment; my husband is still helping out financially.   But the house is a huge responsibility to maintain.  It's large, it's old and the backyard is a jungle.  It's in need of so much work, i don't even know where to begin.  
      The one plus side to my husband moving out is that i now rent out his office to a local student.  Her rent pays for half my mortgage.
      I need to work full time at some point so that i can get insurance to cover meds, dr visits, etc.  But i am still struggling with basic life skills at this point.  How in the world am I going to get myself to a job 5 days a week, when i can barely pull myself out of bed because i'm so drugged out most mornings from my medications?  Some days just taking a shower is beyond my capability.  I don't eat healthy and getting regular exercise is a complete joke.  
      Am i giving myself an excuse to  be a flake?   Or is this just the way it's always going to be? How does one set realistic goals while battling a serious mental disorder?
      I really welcome anyone's input.