Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radicalfeminist

Seroquel XR - Can I cut it in half?

8 posts in this topic

My doctor lowered my dosage of Seroquel and I had just gotten a refill a week ago and it will save me a lot of money and stress to just cut the pills in half (he lowered it to half the dosage I have now). I know you're typically not supposed to cut extended release tablets in half, but is it dangerous? Has anyone done this? It seems like such a waste, I have 60 pills in this bottle. 

Someone else here might be able to give you a more scientific answer, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  Extended release tablets generally have a special coating, which you'll break if you split it.  I think the risk then is that you'll get the full dose all at once and completely lose the XR feature (and presumably your pdoc had a reason for prescribing XR instead of instant release). 

It's not really dangerous but still it would be better to get a refill. If you take split pills, it may not last for as long as your pdoc intended.

Hmm, he cut the dosage in half and switched it to IR, actually. I don't know if that changes anything. I'm probably just going to end up getting the new meds in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if I should take the whole pill or just cut it in half to get myself started. I guess its just best to suck it up and wait, though. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Ask if its ok to finish the old pills.   Cutting extended relief pills is a bad idea.  If I understand this it will give you a days worth all at once and you don't want the all at once dose or the nothing you'll get for the next 23 hours. 

*P.S. don't sweat the waste of the pills.  I hate to tell you how many most of us have collected and tossed trying to find the right one(s)    Its ok!   Really...

Yeah, I've thrown out meds I had switched from before but it seems wasteful since I just filled them.  <_<  Oh well. I think I can cover it, I'll just take the old amount until then.

Cutting the XR pills won't give you an equal dose in each half.  One half could be all with the other nothing, or one pill 30% and the other 70%, etc.  If your body is used to the XR, the amount given in each half could be too much at once.

I've snapped them in half a few times I suffered no ill effects, you might get more of the dose more quickly, blood levels may fluctuate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Seroquel "hangover" weaning off
      By Bubble
      My dr has been intent on getting me off of Seroquel. I was taking 200 mg and now I'm down to 25. I'm cutting the pills up about as small as I can. For those of you who've weaned off it, what was your last dose?
      I take my meds at around 9pm. At 6 pm the next day, I start feeling dizzy and hung over. I know Seroquel has a half life of roughly 6 hrs, so that must be the point that it's nearly out of my system.
      The dr has mostly left me to my own devices after giving me a rough guideline as to how to wean off. I've weaned off meds before. But for those of you who have gotten off it, do you think I'm better off just jumping off here? I don't know which would be worse... the "wear off" effect around noon every day, or going off it entirely.
    • Lithium carbonate withdrawal Seroquel
      By Inkedupmonster
      Okay this is my first forum posts. So please bear with me. 

For or the last several years I have been on lithium 900mg and 1100mg broken in three doses. 
      I recently lost my insurance which covered the cost to be on there. 

I've been withdrawaling for the last week and 2 day. (9 days total). I get the worst cold chills and feel super depressed and hopping not to spiral out of control when the maniac kicks in. 

So my question is as follows... 

Has as anyone else deal with this and how long did it last?? 
    • The longer I'm on medication, the less it seems to work
      By LindaMarie64
      When i was first diagnosed 2007, the meds turned my life around with a week.  Mostly because the Lunesta gave me a full night's rest for the first time in years and i finally gained some sanity. (Now I'm on Ambien, not Lunesta)
      Now, my GP is telling me that even though i'm depressed most of the time, the meds are at full capacity.  This is as good as it gets.  He  wants me to get into cognitive therapy, but i"ve gone that route with limited success.  He increased my Seroquel but that triggered so much dizziness that i ended up in the ER. Back down to 400mg Seroquel.
      I had a major set-back in early 2013.  Went catatonic and was hospitalized for 3 weeks.  No hospitalizations since that time, but I'm always worried that i could end up in the hospital again. I have never gone off meds even when i felt better.  I have accepted that I have this disorder and will be on medication for life.  
      So what does one do when you felt like normal, functional person but slowly digressed into a dark place?  I am so tired of battling this.  I have days where the depression is lifted, but it always returns. And I'm so tired of not knowing from one day to the next how I will be.  My life is really crappy right now.

• Prices of APs
      By Asho2345
      Don't know why my phone Won't let me add text to the OP. Anyway, what kind of prices do people pay in other countries? ^ is what I paid for 150mg seroquel XR 
    • Lamictal causing decrease in Seroquel level
      By mjs190
      Hi all -

I'll try to explain myself as clearly as I can. I was previously on a cocktail of 500 mg Depakote, 100 mg Lamictal, and 300 mg Seroquel XR. I recently ditched the Depakote (which was effectively raising my Lamictal level to 200 mg), and thus increased the Lamictal from 100 to 200 mg to compensate.

Now that Depakote is gone, and Lamictal is at 200 mg, I'm noticing that I'm much more fatigued, sleeping much later than I'd like to (slept until noon today), even though I take Seroquel around 7:00/8:00 pm.

The question: I have read articles about Depakote increasing the Level of Seroquel, and Lamictal decreasing the level of Seroquel. Would it be reasonable to assume that while I was on both, Seroquel levels remained stable (they cancelled each other's net effect on Seroquel), but now that Depakote is gone, Lamictal is causing the aforementioned decreased concentration of Seroquel in my body? I ask because lower Seroquel doses (for me, in my experiences) caused much more fatigue than higher doses. In the past, when I reached 300 mg during my titration for bipolar depression, I remember feeling the fatigue lift and my sleep improve without the morning hangover, whereas lower doses caused me a ton of residual sedation in the AM that ended up causing me to sleep until, 11, 12, even 1 o'clock in the afternoon. But now, since this change, I'm suddenly experiencing this all over again, despite no change in my Seroquel dose.

Any insight or shared experiences would be appreciated! Thanks much.
      -Matt