Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

St John's Wort

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody tried St. John's wort? My therapist recommended that I start on it. Anyone used it? If so, what was your experiences with it? Thanks!

Posted

Are you taking anything else? 

You absolutely must talk to your doctor to check for any possible interactions with your meds.  St. John's Wort can cause serious problems when taken in conjunction with certain psych meds.

Posted

I don't take anything else.

Posted

It made me manic. Use extreme caution if you have or suspect bipolar.

Posted

I wouldn't take it without consulting with your pdoc.  Even not being on other meds it might still affect you in a bad way.  Personally I have never taken it, but have been warned many times not to take it.  I don't remember the exact reasons why, but do remember it had to do with depression becoming worse.

Also, I would check with your pdoc because your tdoc isn't a DR and might not know of possible interactions with your mood, etc.

Posted

I don't go to a pdoc :/

Posted

Why not?  What do you think you are afflicted with?

Maybe it's time go seek help.  Has your tdoc suggested you go see a pdoc?  If not, why is s/he giving you medical tips?  Seems a little beyond the scope of their expertise.

Posted

I started going for an eating disorder. And have discovered all my other issues. I take over the counter anxiety meds and her and I were discussing those when she mentioned St Johns Wort and that it might be good for me. She's never suggested a pdoc.

Posted

I took it for a few days when I was in high school. I felt somewhat worse. That isn't a fair trial, obviously. In terms of side effects, I had some mild nausea.

Posted

You should go see a pdoc. And definitely don't take St. Johns Wort without a medical ok.

Posted

You should go see a pdoc. And definitely don't take St. Johns Wort without a medical ok.

I second this.

Posted

In general, SJW is less effective and has much worse side effects than a pharmaceutical anti-depressant.  

Really, the only reason to take it is if you're dirt poor with no insurance and have no other options.  Nearly any rx med would be more effective with less side effects.

Posted (edited)

Over the counter anxiety meds? I know I don't live in the states anymore but are there otc crazymeds?

I was on St John's Wart for a little while before completely going over the edge..didn't do a thing for me.

Edited by rein

Posted

Over the counter anxiety meds? I know I don't live in the states anymore but are there otc crazymeds?

I was on St John's Wart for a little while before completely going over the edge..didn't do a thing for me.

No, nothing has changed on that front. But there are some people who believe in "natural" and "holistic" forms of anxiolytics. In my oh so humble opinion they are crap.

Posted

I took St. John's Wort for a while.  I felt like it actually worked pretty well for me, with no noticeable side effects, other than increased photosensitivity.  My skin burned more easily, and my eyes were very sensitive to light. 

I stopped taking SJW because I was having to take 6 tea bags of it throughout the day to get a therapeutic dose, so I figured it would be much easier just to take a pharmaceutical antidepressant.

As others have said, if you are prone to being hyper or suspect you might have ever been manic, don't take st. john's wort. 

Posted

Being a teenager, my parents don't want me started on any real medications. They don't think I need it. That's the only reason I take OTC things because my parents don't want me on prescription things. Hence the natural products.

Posted

Being a teenager, my parents don't want me started on any real medications. They don't think I need it. That's the only reason I take OTC things because my parents don't want me on prescription things. Hence the natural products.

Ah.  That does indeed make a difference.  In that case, I applaud you for doing what you can to protect your health and sanity.