CrazyBoards.org

Hi! I've been on Abilify since last June, tapering down every three months from 30mg to 25mg to 20mg and finally last week to 15mg. Everything was going as expected, ie) temporary mood shift lasting from two weeks to up to a month after each shift to a lower dose, so I though I knew what to expect... until I reached 15mg. Now I have to drink a beer everyday or I feel like I don't know disconnected and agitated and depressed. It's definately a compulsion - and I never drink more than one. But I know it's not good to solve my emotional problems with beer (although it does taste good).

Am I self-medicating???? Will I gradually get used to being on this lower dose of Abilify? Has anyone else experienced the same when they have tapered off AAPs? All support appreciated.

Edited by nightbutterfly

Why are you going off of Abilify?  Was it not helping?

Don't get me wrong Abilify has been great and kept me stable and out of hospital for about ten months without major side-effects. But I have experienced the following: mood dulling, tremors, brain fog, increase in appetite (not as much as with Olanzapine but still finding it impossible to lose weight). Also I'm terrified of getting a movement disorder.

I know that being stable is not a reason to go off anti-psychotic medication and I know that from experience but my doctor supported the decrease from 20mg to 15mg and I am doing it under his "supervision" so to speak although my next appt. is in 3 mths time. We've agreed I will contact him if I get any unusual thoughts.

Please don't judge me for choosing to taper down my Abilify... I mean do I really need it to function for the rest of my life? Am I still in denial? Am I just stupid and risking a relapse? I'm so confused right now!!!

Edited by nightbutterfly

Don't get me wrong Abilify has been great and kept me stable and out of hospital for about ten months without major side-effects. But I have experienced the following: mood dulling, tremors, brain fog, increase in appetite (not as much as with Olanzapine but still finding it impossible to lose weight). Also I'm terrified of getting a movement disorder.

I know that being stable is not a reason to go off anti-psychotic medication and I know that from experience but my doctor supported the decrease from 20mg to 15mg and I am doing it under his "supervision" so to speak although my next appt. is in 3 mths time. We've agreed I will contact him if I get any unusual thoughts.

Please don't judge me for choosing to taper down my Abilify... I mean do I really need it to function for the rest of my life? Am I still in denial? Am I just stupid and risking a relapse? I'm so confused right now!!!

I didn't think I did; just asked some questions.

Have you tried any other meds?

Edited by melissaw72

Thanks for your reply Melissa. With all due respect I'm not sure where you're headed with that question. A med change would be too disruptive right now as I'm stable atm.

Going down to 15mg has made me start drinking more. I've been on two benders in the last two weeks corresponding to my decrease in Abilify. I need to find some healthier coping strategies I think.

I also think I need some time to settle into this new regime and give it a chance. I always get a bit moody for the first few weeks after decreasing my Abilify but then it stabilises. I was just wondering if it was common to start self-medicating on alcohol when withdrawing from an AAP.

Thanks for your reply Melissa. With all due respect I'm not sure where you're headed with that question. A med change would be too disruptive right now as I'm stable atm.

Going down to 15mg has made me start drinking more. I've been on two benders in the last two weeks corresponding to my decrease in Abilify. I need to find some healthier coping strategies I think.

I also think I need some time to settle into this new regime and give it a chance. I always get a bit moody for the first few weeks after decreasing my Abilify but then it stabilises. I was just wondering if it was common to start self-medicating on alcohol when withdrawing from an AAP.

Drinking more because of a med change does not sound stable to me.  If going down to 15 mg is causing you to rely upon alcohol then I'm thinking that you either need the higher dose or you're tapering too quickly.  Self-medicating with alcohol is not common when withdrawing from an AAP.  

Have you considered maybe changing by 2.5 mg rather than 5 mg?  I know it might be difficult to split the tablets into 17.5 mg but with the long half-life, getting a little more one day and a little less the next day shouldn't be a big deal.  

I had asked if you'd tried any more meds because I wondered if you tried any others to replace the abilify.  I just didn't understand why the tapering down of abilify and not going onto something else. 

I'm sorry if i missed why you weren't trying something else after coming off the abilify; I didn't see it in your post.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By RisingRayne
      I wish I had never been placed on it adjunctively for depression/anxiety. I was first embarrassed because it is classified as an antipsychotic. I was on the lowest dose for a few months. I gain about 15 pounds. I haven't been able to return to my pre-abilify weight. So frustrating.
    • By mikl_pls
      I've been on Abilify for about a year and a half now. It has been the best AAP for me as far as mood stability and help with bipolar depression goes. But I have this nagging suspicion that it has really screwed up my cholesterol... Before I went on it, my cholesterol was fine, but not long thereafter, my cholesterol was a little messed up... I started it in August of 2017 and by October of 2017, my cholesterol was as follows:
      Total cholesterol: 187 mg/dL (10-199 mg/dL) HDL-C: 10 mg/dL (30-72 mg/dL) LDL-C: 129 mg/dL (0-128 mg/dL) Triglycerides: 220 mg/dL (40-160 mg/dL) vLDL-C: 44 mg/dL (5-40 mg/dL) Chol/HDL ratio: 18.70 (0.00-5.00) It wasn't terrible, I guess, as they didn't put me on a statin at the time. They just said "lose weight and diet," which I was already doing both of at the time. I just made it a point to do it more. I went to the gym and exercised, but I eventually fell out of doing that.
      Fast forward to last month, I had my testosterone checked because of various reasons (mostly depression, inability to lose weight, what appears to be gynecomastia), and while my testosterone is okay (which it has been low and they've said it's okay before... I have yet to get a copy of the blood test results), they said that my LDL cholesterol was "very high" and my HDL cholesterol was "very low" (I assume it hasn't budged from 10...) and that my doctor wanted to put me on Lipitor 20 mg.
      So he called it in and I started taking it, hoping it will make a difference. I plan on getting a copy of my blood test results, like I said, and I do plan on going back to the gym. I don't know what I've been doing wrong, or if it's the Abilify. I'm eating right, or so I think I am... 
      Has anyone had problems with dyslipidemia from Abilify? It's supposed to be metabolically friendly!
    • By aspillane
      I will make this as to the point as possible. First time ever posting on blogs, Hoping this place can aid decisions along with psychiatrist. 
      I was diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety, and Adhd at age 14. (22yo now) My depression has gone from moderate to bad, to severe over the years. This is not the suicidal, crying every night type of depression. This is a (Complete Lack of motivation, energy, drive, initiation,) type of depression. I oversleep and when i wake up, my life is just grey, and uninteresting. Doing anything takes sooooo much fuckin effort. I litterally cannot hold a job, or do any simple tasks. Life is Overwhelming.
      Past medications include, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, cymbalta, remeron, strattera, are the main ones, with little to no benefit, however strattera had the biggest impact on my energy, depression, and motivation. The issue with strattera is that the burst of motivation did not last long. An increase of Strattera equalled 3 weeks of Motivation Boost, followed by nothing (as if i never took the medication.) 
      Had a genetic test done that shows i might react better to SNRI's rather than SSRI's. Because of my report of Strattera, my doc now Prescribed Fetzima (Works more on norepinephrine neurotransmitter). I might have Treatment Resistant Depression so he augmented Fetzima with Abilify (2mg), in hopes of them enhancing Each other. 3 months on fetzima, (now max dose of 120mg) i noticed very Minor changes. Which could indicate my TRD. 
      Well i Indicated my depression has not improved much so he increased abilify to 4mg. Second day on 4mg and i feel as though its making my Energy and Depression Worse. I really want to stop taking abilify, however i might take it a couple more days to test it out.

Here is my Main Question. 
      Are there any atypical antipsychotics that do not cause any sedation, or one that causes the least amount of sedation compared to others?
      That is basically my only question actually. Feel free to chime in on how Fetzima has worked out for you, and if you have TRD, and have found the right combo that helps you.
      Thank You Guys!
    • By Candy6544
      So I just started Latuda and I am an avid user of alcohol and marijuana (its legal in my state)
      I currently take geodon, lamictal, and lithium but I just added latuda
      everything seemed like it was actually working great with Latuda but after I used "weed" and alcohol my brain is in bad shape and slowly getting better 
      It really left my mind foggy and inattentative in the morning because of  combining the marijuana and alcohol with it.
      at first it was going great but mixing those things with it really left my mind not all there  
      moral of the story if you take other bipolar/schizophrenia meds alongside Latuda DO NOT do any marijuana as well it'll ruin your brain over time trust me. Other antipsychotics can cause this effect too
      i hope this helps those who are struggling with substance abuse alongside any of these meds because they can help you greatly but marijuana will fry with your brain with them overtime mixing them
    • By Blahblah
      I keep saying that I want to take a break from drinking. I don't drink everyday, but on the weekends, I have about 3-5 drinks (beer/wine usually). I feel like it's not even affecting me like it used to...no buzz, just feel tired and more apathetic the next day...then I overcompensate by drinking 4 coffees and maybe taking extra Ritalin. Not good.
      Anyhow, I'm curious to hear others experiences and tips about sobriety (either longterm or taking 1-2 month breaks). How do you succeed or reward yourself?? I am trying to meet new people, which is a drag, and all of the meetups are at concerts, bars, party events where a lot of drinking happens, it's summer and I go out and see everyone drinking nice cold beer. If I avoid these meetups, I am even more depressed and isolated. There are no other activities that I enjoy really (like sports, films, etc) I get so incredibly bored trying to be sober at these things and then most people assume that you have a drinking problem (reason for avoiding alcohol)