Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

pre-trip anxiety

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pretty much without fail.

Its not the flying, the getting to the airport stupid early, the being away from home/routine, being afraid I'm forgetting things when I pack, etc etc... not any one specific thing.

Traveling is hard for me.

I can kind of talk myself through each part of it... like I'm not going to Outer Slobovia. If I forget something, I can replace it... for example, I was buying underwear in Philadelphia on Christmas Day one year. Nothing bad happened.

Fortunately I can now go places without another human because I have my trusty Nugget at my side.

Now if I would stop procrastinating, get off the computer and get to bed that would help a lot.

Falling asleep would help more.

The other thing that's hard for me about traveling is it messes up my poo. Sorry if that's TMI. I think I'm kind of a "shy pooper" who needs a routine to get things going. Not sure how to counteract that effectively yet.

Edited by Wooster

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry you are going through that.  Pre-anxiety for a trip really sucks; it happens to me too.  I'm glad though the trip itself will be ok. 

Do you make a list of things to bring so that you can check things off, so you wont forget anything?  I find it makes my life so much easier wherever I do, and I pack everything on it, then double check it all.  Hardly ever forget things anymore.  And if I think of something that is not written down yet, I just go to the list and add it (I keep the list on my desktop).

I know totally what you mean by throwing off the bathroom stuff.  When I am away that is a huge concern for me also, and I am totally aware of it too, probably too aware, but it helps to be and so constipation doesn't catch me off-guard at any point during the trip. 

When I go away I usually bring some Miralax with me, and/or some magnesium vitamins (I'd ask your DR about what is ok to take) in case I run into any problems.  Both act as laxatives. 

Actually I am assuming you get constipated ... Not sure how to help if it is diarrhea.  I guess just be very careful what you eat.  I hope this helps.

Posted · Report post

Hope you have a good trip!  I understand about the anxiety.  I have horrible anxiety around traveling.  What gets me through is to plan and over plan for everything, make lists, double check, etc.  Having extra of my meds, and lots of good snacks also eases my mind.

Posted · Report post

Here's a couple of travel checklists that might be helpful:

http://www.travelschecklist.com/

http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/travel/planning/vacation-packing-checklist-00000000000225/index.html

Could you get a PRN benzo to help with the anxiety?

As for the bathroom habits, I'm not sure what to tell you except to try some of the OTC remedies designed to help in that situation.

I hope you have a great trip and that it is as stress-free as possible.

Posted · Report post

I have found that it's really easy to get dehydrated without noticing when traveling, and that causes everything to slow down. 

Posted · Report post

I find stuff to get anxious about before trips, and that it is almost always fine does little to help me for the next time. 

Nugget is awesome.