Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What mental assessments does Ssdi request?

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I have had the gaf and the mini mental exam completed but am wondering what other exams Ssdi may require?

Posted

My pdoc filled out the forms they sent, but I didn't take a specific test.

Posted

Same with me; I thought it based on DRs information they provide to SSDI.  My DRs fill them all out too.  I didn't have to take a test either.

Posted

That seems odd to me since for short term disability he had to report my gaf and fill out a mini mental exam. Just figured sdi would require more.

Posted

I also did not have to take a test.  The only requirement was my pdoc filling out paperwork.

Posted (edited)

Your practitioner will have a form to complete. It should be mailed to them, if I recall correctly.

SSDI requires a full mental health assessment by qualified professionals. The shape of this particular assessment is determined by your health care provider, but it must address your current level of functioning, a DSM-IV-TR five axis diagnosis (the GAF is axis 5), and expected course of recovery or continuing disability.

Some practitioners use something called a SCID (structured clinical interview for the DSM), which you may recognize as a pretty standard clinical assessment. Some will use pen and paper or computer versions of measures for depression and anxiety and the like. Some will use none of these and have a more conversational style.

Sometimes SSI (not SSDI that I'm aware of) will request that you have a full neuropsychiatric or psychological assessment by a licensed neurologist or psychologist. This could be a battery of tests ranging from a Wisconsin Card Sort Test to a MMPI and/or other various standardized measures with an interview.

Edited by Wooster

Posted (edited)

Sometimes SSI (not SSDI that I'm aware of) will request that you have a full neuropsychiatric or psychological assessment by a licensed neurologist or psychologist. This could be a battery of tests ranging from a Wisconsin Card Sort Test to a MMPI and/or other various standardized measures with an interview.

This full examination CAN be done by YOUR practitioner if they meet the liscensing requirements. If you are informed that you are scheduled for an interview/exam, call SSA and inform them that [your doctor] will be performing the exam. To make it clear: You have every right to do this. It isn't often mentioned by a person at SSA, but there are several places where it is written in the application policy. Edited by Josie

Posted

This full examination CAN be done by YOUR practitioner if they meet the liscensing requirements. If you are informed that you are scheduled for an interview/exam, call SSA and inform them that [your doctor] will be performing the exam. To make it clear: You have every right to do this. It isn't often mentioned by a person at SSA, but there are several places where it is written in the application policy.

This is very interesting information.  wow  I thought one had to go to the independent evaluation.  IME

Posted

Nope. I found this information, and called SSA and said I was going to reschedule with a preferred provider. They said it was fine, I was examined by my own psychiatrist, and approved in six months.

Posted

I was required to go to a psychologist for a battery of tests and interview for my SSDI, and my psychiatrist was required to fill out a form.  My psychologist also wrote a letter in lieu of sending my medical records.

Posted

I had to go to a pdoc that the SSA set up.  He felt I was higher functioning than my own pdoc did, and the judge said that since I had been seeing my pdoc regularly for awhile, he took my pdocs word over theirs.

I never had to take any separate test.

Posted

I never had to see another pdoc or take any tests when I applied for SSDI either.

All they had to do was send in my paper work and I was approved within months.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

I had to go to a pdoc that the SSA set up.  He felt I was higher functioning than my own pdoc did, and the judge said that since I had been seeing my pdoc regularly for awhile, he took my pdocs word over theirs.

I never had to take any separate test.

So, you inquired specifically about being examined by your own psychiatrist and they told you that it wasn't ok? Edited by Josie

Posted

I can only speak of personal experience.

All of my doctors, past and present, from primary care physicians to psychiatrists to psychologists and therapists, were sent requests for all medical records by the State and my representative.

The State then sent me to two doctors. One was a general physician, who was mostly inspecting for physical handicaps, and the other was a psychologist, who spoke to me and my then-wife for nearly an hour in a very uncomfortable room. The psychologist also had me answer a few pages of questions. During my hearing, the state-selected psychologist's notes played a major factor in the court ruling in favor of my case.

Posted

Itch, was that for SSI, SSDI, or both?

Posted

Itch, was that for SSI, SSDI, or both?

Both, but the process would have been the same for SSDI. I assume it also would have been the same if I was seeking just SSI, but I do not know for sure.

Posted

Both my initial application and my CDR (continuing disability review) went the same way. The ssa requested medical records from all my provides and then sent me to their own consulting pdoc for a psych exam. The first part talked about my mental illness and how it manifested itself and the second half was memory-based tests.

I didn't have any more exams after that, but I am still waiting on approval from my CDR.