CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
CookieN

MOOD STABILIZERS, do they really help with mood swings?

When you started Mood Stabilizers, did they really help with your mood swings. Did they really lessen your mood changes?.

Do you have any experience with the following meds: Lamictal or Topamax?

Does the efficacy decrease as time goes by? meaning that mood stabilizer could really help at the beginning but then lose its efficacy?

Do you feel traditional mood stabilizers, work better in controlling moods than antipsychotics (when they are used as mood stabilizers). I am taking zyprexa as a mood stabilizer

Edited by CookieN

I've had a lot of success with a combination of Lamictal and lithium recently. I've only been on them for 7? months now, so I don't know about long term loss of efficacy. It's really leveled me out without any flattening of affect. I have had to make some small adjustments, though. I started getting a bit hypomanic about a month ago, upped my lithium a little and it put the brakes on. Now back to stable.

I happen to love the Lamictal. No noticeable side effects from that or my lithium. But everyone's pharmacology is different, YMMV and all that. No experience with Topamax.

Edit (in light of your edit): Yes. Very yes. I've never had a good experience with antipsychotics. Again, YMMV. I know they help some people. But I'm really not a fan of how atypicals have become so standard as mood stabilizers when there are plenty of tried-and-true actual mood stabilizers out there, generally with less side effects.

Edited by misanthropicusername

goodness yes they help

that is why we take them!!

I think it is very individual whether you take an AAP. an AC, or a combination of them

Lamictal seems to be a workhorse for depression

and Lithium is both anti manic, plus helps with depression

"Does the efficacy decrease as time goes by? meaning that mood
stabilizer could really help at the beginning but then lose its
efficacy?"

I am on lamictal and haven't had this problem.  I've been on 600 mg for many years (at least 10 years, probably more).

I turned out to have an allergic-like reaction to lamotrigine, so, none of that for me.

The second they tried with me, divalproex sodium (Depakote/Epival,) works like a charm, at the right dose.  It acts as an antidepressant for me, which is usually my main problem.

I can apparently have breakthrough symptoms/episodes, as my recent mixed state over this past month demonstrated.  But apparently this is not too unusual and commonly related to things like seasonal changes, for example.  Yay for spring!  I then required additional medication therapy while IP for about a week to get the hypomania end of my mixed episode under control.  They used a combination of clonazepam, quetiapine, and Zopiclone, along with my regular daily dose of divalproex -- and they took me off my Concerta just for the duration.

I'm back on the Concerta again, clonazepam has been in my little collection for a while for anxiety issues, still on divalproex and now I have Zopiclone for sleep issues which can crop up for me time and again - not necessarily related to the bipolar, hell, my ADHD makes staying up allll too easy.

I also have quetiapine added into my cocktail now.  It's supposed to be a PRN like my clonazepam and Zopiclone, but I've been having success with it as a daily med... not for my bipolar, really, but more for some of my OCD-related things and dermatillomania.  I'll be speaking with my pdoc about her thoughts on this during our next appointment.

I am comforted by the thought that if it ever turns out that my divalproex *does* become less effective, I have lots and lots of room to go up on the dose.  Both in terms of how much I take per day and in blood levels (I'm at the lowest end of 'effective blood level' for valproates, upon blood testing.)

*** oh, and it took about a year for me to have a breakthrough mixed episode after we got me on the divalproex.  And after about two weeks of treatment for it I seem to be getting back to normal.

I started Lamictal (Generic) after Abilify was making me unable to sit still. It has been very good to me as a mood stabalizer. I still get moody and itritable and depressed but its no longer from A to Z depressed. I get some minor breakthrough but I manage that with therapy.   The swings are more A-C anoying but managable for me. A gloryaus wonderfull change from this point last year when every day felt like a A-Z mess.  I was a mess during tiration becuse we where still trying to figure it all out, but it has been worth it for me. I do have some GI issues but I do not know what med it is (but i'm looking at you Celexa, i'm looking at you. But maybe you and the Metformin are in cahoots...)

I tried topomax for about a week and it made me physicly ill to the point that I could not take it. But it might work for you.

Thank your for your responses!......For those of you who are taking Lamictal and Depakote....did you gain weight on them?

I love Lamictal.  I've been on it for about four years, with no change in efficiacy and no weight gain.  I had some headaches when I titrated up, but they went away after a couple of days, and were controllable with advil. 

No weight gain on the Depakote for me. *shrugs*

I like my Lamictal. It worked better for me than Abilify but not as good as Seroquel.

I was on lamictal(100 - 200mg)  for 4 years before it lost its efficacy and started causing side effects. But my pdoc suggested going back on it again recently, if the viibryd he prescribed didn't work for depression.

No weight gain on Lamictal, but weight gain on Epilim (SA equivalent of Depakote, well, almost).

Moving this to AntiConvulsants.

Lamictal certainly did lessen my mood changes. I didn't gain any weight on it either. I'd highly recommend it.

I'm on 400Mg lamictal and no side effects. Well, I do have some problems with word finding but not enough to go off it and I really don't want to lower my dose cause it's working well.

Yes I still have breakthrough depression at time and one breakthrough mania but both only lasted about 4-6 days and I just worked through it and have been pretty fine for quite some time.

I also like Seroquel for sleep and I guess at my dose it works for depression as well. No side effects from that either, no weight gain.

HTH

I had some crazy side-effects from Lamictal + AAPs, but they all subsided. I tried Lamictal as a monotherapy, but it did almost nothing for my depression. No weight gain.

Valproate hyped me up and killed my memory. I wasn't on it very long, maybe 6 weeks, but no weight gain from it either.

I gained 40 lbs on Depakote....pretty common, plus a tremor, my hair started falling out, and my liver numbers were bad

the side effects were terrible and my doctor refused to let me try something else..

I was on a high dose for four years

fortunately I got a different doctor and went onto Lithium

Lamictal is supposed to be weight neutral....I have not tried it yet

Edited by bpladybug

I have tried so many different meds and have had all kinds of side effects. I am on lamictal and I really like it. I actually lost weight on it and I haven't been manic since I've been on it. It also really helps my depression. It's the best med I have tried.

I take Lithium and Lamictal and have had no problems with weight with either of them. I did with Depakote though

Depakote totally flattened me out and made me sleep all day. This was however years before I had the diagnosis of bipolar disorder.

When the diagnosis came I was put immediately on Abilify and it did wonders for my mood swings; only for my regular day to day mood swings and hypomania.

It didn't help for depression though so I came off as I've been depressed for ages now and I'm hoping that I'll switch soon to hypomania.

Nevertheless looks like a lot of people have good experience with lamictal so I could promose that to my doc if he really wants to put me on some mood stabilizer again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Darthnox
      I think I might be having symptoms of mania and its stressing me out!! I have been buying a lot of stuff in the last 2 weeks I have spent probably $2000, and just now i almost bought a fucking car of $20000 luckily I diden't have the deposit, but at that moment it just dawned on me I might be manic. I'm not sure I don't feel overly happy or sad I don't think I'm delusional. I don't think I'm having strange thoughts I don't know and my doctor is only back later this month 
    • By Motoko
      So I recently went off antipsychotics after having been on them for nearly seven years.  They weren't helping with what I needed the most help with and I (and my shrink) suspected they were responsible for the anhedo'nic malaise I've been suffering from for years now.  At first I was resistant to get off them because I really thought I needed them, but then I ran out and didn't get it refilled for a couple of weeks and was like, "Hey, I don't feel DEAD inside."  And I wasn't suffering any bad effects from NOT taking them, so I figured I would just take them on as as-needed basis.  Which happens about once every two weeks.  I just get hamster wheel brain and have to shut it off.
      And so far that's been working out really well.  I'm curious how long it's taken for others who have gotten off them to get them out of your system.  I haven't taken any Haldol in over a month, but it was just in the last few days that I really felt like I'd "woken up".  I can write again.  I haven't written anything other than cryptic Facebook posts since 2014.  I've done nothing but read Facebook and the news and watch tv and movies since I quit my job four years ago, which I had to do because I couldn't function at it anymore.  I was constantly forgetting things and fucking up, it was awful.  Looking back I can't be sure if it's because of the illness or the meds.  I don't really care anymore.  I'm awake again.
      Thankfully my bipolar disorder isn't so severe that I need APs all the time anymore.  I think at first I did, but I've changed a lot over the last several years since I was diagnosed.  I don't have the same issues as I once did.  I'm a lot more stable.  I still take my other meds, mostly so I can sleep, since I also have a sleep disorder (a manageable one, thank the gods).  The meds kept me from doing the thing that was probably the healthiest thing I was doing for myself: meditating.  Now that I can focus and concentrate again, I can get back to a sitting practice, which gives me the mindfulness I need to stay on top of the little cues my brain gives me when I might be about to do something...off.
      It's nice not to be swimming in glue anymore.
    • By Shortstuff
      It's been a little over two weeks since I broke up with him. Right now I'm still on a roller coaster of emotions, from happy to depressed to angry. Everyone I know is happy I split up with him, they don't understand how hard it's been for me. With the holidays everyone has been busy and I barely have anyone I can talk to about it. It just all around sucks.
      I met him in May, when he moved into my building (lesson #1: don't date anyone in your apartment building). His reputation in town preceded him and I went out of my way to avoid him. I knew his sister and mother, whom are both schizophrenic, on meds and doing okay. I'd heard he had it too but that he refused treatment for it. So I knew that going in. 
      By the end of June, we were hanging out a lot. When you think of paranoid schizophrenia, he truly could be the poster child for it. I honestly had never seen untreated schizophrenia so it was completely new for me. He was full of delusions, paranoia and sometimes auditory hallucinations. But it wasn't that horrible and he turned out to be really nice, extremely funny and smart and a total cuddle bug. We had so much fun together. 
      I think in July, it became a relationship. It was mostly good. We rarely argued and when we did it was over stupid stuff and only lasted a few minutes. We were sleeping at each other's apartments, eating meals together, drinking together a lot (he's an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker, I know, not good), taking day trips around the area, etc. It was just a lot of fun.
      Over September, October and November, I could tell his schizophrenia was getting worse. I mean, he has sets of good and bad days, but it just seemed he was starting to experience more of the bad than he was when we were first together. He's convinced people (especially cops) are hiding out in the ceiling tiles, people are breaking into his place, people are in the hall when there is nobody there, that the police are plotting to put him in prison, the government is after him, that all the tenants have keys to his apartment and come in when he's gone, etc. When ever he gets zits on his back, he's convinced they are RF resistors that the gov't has implanted in him. That he has to get them out. He'd spend sometimes hours in front of the mirror, with a steak knife, digging into his back until he had basically bloody craters. The amount of scarring on his back, shoulders and upper arms shows how long that has been going on. He won't even take a tylenol for a headache, because he thinks the govt puts trackers in them, etc. 
      He also believes that mental illness doesn't exist. At all. And that there is nothing wrong with him. That everyone else is wrong and only he is right. There is nothing you can say to even crack any of what he believes. It just is. 
      He's had a lot of run ins with the police in places he's lived. The part that worries me the most though, is that he's also armed. He keeps a loaded hand gun in his apartment. The cops are aware he has it but they can't do anything about it.
      So anyways, by December it was getting to be too much. He was getting distant, arrogant, angry, staying up sometimes for days at a time and our sex life was gone. Then, I realized I'd become part of the delusions. He started blaming me for being in his apartment when he wasn't there (I don't have a key, I never did have one), putting up cameras to spy on him. After accusing me multiple times, I finally had to walk away. I have so much of my own stuff to deal with anyhow. I realized how much more stress I was absorbing from him. I'd been walking on eggshells, not sure which version of him I was going to get on any given day.
      Walking away was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Because of my BPD and how it used to really wreck my life (before CBT, DBT, meds, etc.), I spend over a decade alone, because I didn't want to mess anyone else up with my stuff. That was until I met him in May. So it was a really big deal for me to open up enough to let someone in. And he really helped me so much and I got really close to him. Then it was just... gone.
      It hit me really hard a few days after I broke up with him and I OD'd and ended up in the hospital for almost a week. I've been home now for four days. I'm still trying to get my head straightened out after all this. I don't hate him, I know he's ill. I'm just really hurt and trying to sort through it all. 
      Sorry this is so long. I just needed to vent. 

• By SheltieUnderdog
      Because of my extremely negative reactions to almost all the AP injections down the list, my probation officer and my psych are allowing me to switch to an oral medication for my last month on probation before I graduate. They know it's not even a risk if I didn't take it (which I'm going to) because it usually takes me many months to a year for me to become symptomatic and have a relapse. I'm not one of those type of people who relapse in less than a week or even a month. So this Tuesday, I have an appointment with my psych to discuss my options with the oral medications.
      According to my psych and what I know, I'm very responsive to low doses of anti-psychotics, almost becoming completely rational in a few hours of taking Zyprexa 2.5mg or Abilify 2mg. However, I'm also very sensitive at the same time and experience severe amounts of Akathisia that last all day from the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep. I could pace back and forth all day if there were no interruptions. I feel like I want to jump through a ceiling or run through a glass door to alleviate the constant need to be moving. We have tried everything from Cogentin, Artane, Propanolol, Clonazepam, Benadryl, and now Gabapentin 600mg 3x per day and all it's doing is helping with my anxiety and stabilizing my mood but not relieving the Akathisia. The counteractive drugs simply don't work for me. Never did. They're to weak compared to the agent that's causing the Akathisia.
      I saw a commercial over the summer that claims that Fanapt has a lower Akathisia risk than other atypical anti-psychotics but I'm not entirely sure. It seems that Fanapt has to be taken twice a day and is recommended at at least 6mg after the 1mg starting dose. I want something that can remain low. I've also read that Seroquel, at the higher doses, like 400mg to 800mg can treat schizophrenia with less of the Parkinson like side effects. I've discussed this with my psych and he says he wants to keep Seroquel as a last resort because of its low efficacy. He may not be realizing that I don't have the average type of schizoaffective disorder (if that exists). He's fearing that my claims of the extremely low-dose oral meds while I was in jail is not a true account.
      So. conclusively, what is the best option for a schizoaffective patient who's highest priority is ridding the Akathisia while still taking the medication consistently? I don't care about the 100% efficacy or having some symptoms. I just want the ******** akathisia gone. I also have other side effects from this crap they've been sticking in my arm for the last 15 months such as Weight Gain, Gynecomastia (just won a huge lawsuit against Janssen Pharmaceuticals for Invega), Sedation, Fatigue, Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Anhedonia, Throat Swelling, Involuntary Eye Movements, and Suicidal Ideation. Just to name a good amount of them. Please help me as my appointment takes place later this week and I want more knowledge going into it. Thanks  
    • By Riggs1
      Any thoughts on using sam-e or a sad light with a bp1 diagnosis? I’m  not depressed and stable but really struggling to get out of bed and low energy throughout the day.
      A quick google search says Sam-e and using a sad light can trigger mania if you have bp. Is this still a risk if on two mood stableizers and an antipsychotic? My pdoc is against supplements other than omegas, vitamin d and a multi.
      Currently on depakote(tapering down to go off of), lithium, and seroquel.