CrazyBoards.org

So I'm back on Seroquel - 300mg. I like this med best of the AAPs I've tried - it tamps down both mania and depression and helps me sleep at night. Unfortunately, it also makes me feel like I'm NEVER really awake during the next day. It's not just a morning hangover - it pretty much lasts all day. I drink coffee in the morning, but the effect wears off and I feel more tired than before. 

So is there anything I can do/take to counteract this? Antidepressants are out because they make me manic. 

I don't know if this is common practice, but my pdoc put me on Adderall.  I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at noon to combat the sleepiness from Zyprexa.

Are you taking regular or extended release?

You might want to ask your doctor for samples and experiment with both.

Different people have different reactions, but the extended release, if taken at night

does not make me sleepy during the day.

Your mileage may vary.

I am taking regular release. I guess I will have to talk to my pdoc about this. Has anyone had success with Provigil for this problem?

The extended release is a good idea - when I was on 600 mg of Seroquel I was taking 300 mg of it in an XR dose in the morning and I was functioning.  Taking only XR at night could be a big help.

I toyed with Provigil, but my psychiatrist never let me try it :P

For some reason the extended release tends to make me drowsier during the day than the instant release! But I have bad fatigue in general.

Yes, I have used Provigil, and it helped.  But my sedation was worst in the morning, though I felt muted all the time.  I feel like I'm awake now that I'm on different meds, and in an 'awake to life' way. 

I have heard people say the XR has not left them sedated.

I have also tried provigil and it made me manic. I was not on seroquel at the time though. I think if I tried it now I would not become manic. I "think." You just don't know though.

But it wouldn't hurt to ask your pdoc about either of those options.

Also, what time do you take the quel at night? 8? 9? 10? Could you take it earlier in the evening to combat the drowsiness?

I take it at 9pm...I can't really imagine taking it at 7pm and conking out that early! I got 11 hours of sleep last night and don't feel as drowsy as I did yesterday, but this much sleep is not going to be sustainable once my classes start up in September. 

I found that over time, the drowsiness went away. It took months for me to get by on a normal amount of sleep and have no sedation in the morning, but it happened eventually. For a while I was actually going to bed by 8PM to be up at 8AM for work. 

I have found that I must take the Seroquel 12 hours before I need to be fully awake the next day. If I am taking the XR, I really have to follow that rule. The IR doesn't cause as much morning sedation. It just conks me out harder at night. Anyway, as with others, I have found that the side effect of daytime drowsiness has lessened over time. 

I tried Nuvigil and it didn't seem to help much. It was better with it than without but not by a lot. It also cost a bundle so I quit taking it after that first 90 day Rx was gone. Wish I could have gotten a sample because it was evident fairly quickly that it wasn't doing much.

I have found that I must take the Seroquel 12 hours before I need to be fully awake the next day. If I am taking the XR, I really have to follow that rule. The IR doesn't cause as much morning sedation. It just conks me out harder at night. Anyway, as with others, I have found that the side effect of daytime drowsiness has lessened over time. 

I think that is great advice when dealing with the XR!  I can't tell you how many times I have gotten up early to take my daughter to early morning swim practice and really shouldn't have been driving - was grogged out, but had to due to no carpool and being a single parent.  That is why I like the control you have with the IR.  But I do like that 12 hour XR rule.  I don't get that stoned, still feel like I am sleeping with the IR, if I get around 9 hours of sleep.

Edited by Frenetic47

I've tried both and I like IR better because it really helps me sleep. I usually take 300 mg. Right before bed as it kicks in about 1/2 hr after I take it and makes me really uncoordinated and too drowsy to function. I sleep great, but for a while I would be really stupid and stalled out mentally the next morning. But that went away within a few weeks.

I have to bump up to 400 mg if I'm feeling too hyper, and at 400 I still have the morning grogginess, probably b/c I don't take that much on a regular basis.

I am having the same problem with the zombie like effects, memory problems .. going to try adjusting what time I take it at, just wanted to suggest vitamin b complex and magnesium I find it helps a lot.