Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cern

Anxiety before sleep and waking frequently

6 posts in this topic

Well I've onyl just joined this site and so interested to find this many other people who can't sleep properly!

I don't know what is up with me but I haven't been able to fall asleep properly for as long as I can remember. I sleep very lightly and it takes me hours to fall asleep. For the past 5 or 6 years I have been feeling extremely anxious as I'm trying to fall asleep and keep thinking about bad things that could happen or the 'dangerous' situations I put myself in that day (for example driving my car) - this jerks me awake and my thoughts are racing.

Once I am finally asleep I almost always wake approx 30 minutes later and I'm wide awake not feeling tired atall. I go to the loo and try to rest again and finally drop off.

Throughout the night I wake approx 5 or 6 times and feel the need to empty my bladder before I can drop off again. This is so uncomfortable to have to keep getting up and out of bed as I have trapped nerves in both my lower back (for the last 7 years) and my neck (last 6 months).

When it comes round to 6 or 7am and I am woken I really feel like I'm in a deep sleep and getting some good rest and hate to be woken up - I don't feel refreshed atall and my eyes are so sore.

This is all quite serious to me and I'd like to try and find some help to sort it out.

On a more amusing note - I wear glasses during the day and take them off to sleep and when I wake during the night I can still see them round the sides of my eyes! This is a bit annoying and freaky (but still funny I suppose).

Any help or advice here?

For me, my inability to sleep is linked to my childhood abuse. This is because I was far more likely to be hurt at night so I start to get really edgy. The abuse also gives me nightmares, so sleep is no respite.

Do you take anything to help you to sleep? It is worth mentioning to your care provider that you're having so much difficulty. Good sleep is fairly central to being able to live. How are you currently treating the anxiety? Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate that.

Have you ever had a sleep study?

I'm going to sound like a Drug Rep but Ambien CR helps me.  Without it I can go all night staring at the ceiling.

Ambien didn't help me; made things worse because I'd wake up off and on and in the morning remember absolutely nothing from the night before ... night eating, walking around ... etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• lexapro causing anxiety???!!!! 7 weeks on..come onnnn!
      By gabanxious
      Howdy i'm new here,
      Question.  I'm on 10MG lexapro on week 7 (prescribed for anxiety!) and I never have really felt anything much either way from this stuff- (a good thing?) my anxiety continues (but perhaps not as bad?) and in some cases I wonder if if it's Lexapro causing anxiety...I feel like 7 weeks in I should be seeing results and as such I wonder if this is a wrong drug for me...I've taken it in the past and I don't really seeing it doing much either way..  The anxiety feeling is vaguely different- it's not a mind thing but a body high sort of thing- my mind is solid and not choosing to go to dark places or anxious about stupid shit, but my body anxiety is pretty significant- enough to make me lose my appetite and not want to eat, etc....   it doesn't push me enough to feel like I have to get up and go for a walk or run 500 miles or whatever...thank god..And I don't crash too hard after it goes away.. In fact sometimes I feel quite good after it disappears-- who wouldn't?
      I'm trying my very very very best to not take benzos but I get so damn tired of the symptoms that I just feel like I need relief-  Benzos def work and in fairly small doses- 1mg of ativan is probably overkill, .5mg xanax will relax me, and/or .5mg of klonopin....(hours later of course)...I do not take benzos daily/frequently so whatever's happening isn't a withdrawal from one..

Thank you to all,
    • Lithium carbonate withdrawal Seroquel
      By Inkedupmonster
      Okay this is my first forum posts. So please bear with me. 

For or the last several years I have been on lithium 900mg and 1100mg broken in three doses. 
      I recently lost my insurance which covered the cost to be on there. 

I've been withdrawaling for the last week and 2 day. (9 days total). I get the worst cold chills and feel super depressed and hopping not to spiral out of control when the maniac kicks in. 

So my question is as follows... 

Has as anyone else deal with this and how long did it last?? 
    • my boyfriend and i keep fighting?
      By ladyboss
      I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 20, we've been dating for almost a month now (have been talking for about four) and there are some days we fight non stop. But, what's bad is, I try having a normal conversation about a conflict and he starts yelling. I have BPD, anxiety and major depression, my boyfriend has ADHD. When I try talking about something he'll get furious and yell. I'm also his first real girlfriend, he's not had a girlfriend since high school and it turns out she faked her own death. Both of us have been through our fair share of shit. I know part of the fighting is because I've not been on my meds because I lost half my bottle. I know fights can be healthy, but they're getting so stupid maybe...possibly.
      we do love each other very much, and I don't want to break up....but should we really? We're both taking the time to understand the other, we have very strong personalities and are basically the type of people who take no bullshit, see no bullshit, hear no bullshit. Ironically enough my boyfriend hates confrontation. One thing I read though on various articles is that sometimes ADHD partners with non ADHD partners can end up forming the parent child dynamic. and sometimes, it feels like that. Not all days are bad, one week we faught all.week.long. it was exhausting. That time though it was really just me bitching about..everything. Another thing I don't get is why my boyfriend does something, finds out it upsets me, apologizes, and does it again. I know it isnt intentional but it bothers me still....
    • Help I have a cello concert
      By ibreatheandcounttoten
      So I play cello, and I have for nearly five years. I have played in two solo concerts and several times with an orchestra. My anxiety has been steadily growing worse and I average about one panic attack per week without any stressors but I have a quartet coming up and these freak me out because if I was solo I wouldn't mess anyone else up if I screwed up timing. In an orchestra of twenty or so people, I could sink out of it if I needed to. In a quartet, however, I would screw up the other three players. Even though I play the easiest part, I can't bring myself to even look at the music or else I panic. My mom said I didn't have to do the concert but I had to tell my teacher face to face why. To me, this is nearly as bad as going up in front of all those people because my teacher is amazing and I love her. After my mom said that, I started to panic again, thinking of all the ways it could go wrong. She might not let me be her student as I miss most of the solo concerts. I really scared and this has caused me a sh*t-load of anxiety and panic attacks. What should I say? What should I do? Please help.