CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

I have been on Effexor XR for about ten years. I know it has a bad rep, but it saved my life. Throughout the past decade I have bumped up my dosage when I could tell it wasn’t working as well and am now at 300mg. I am at the point at which is it not doing its job very well, so I am adding Seroquel tonight. I’ve tried Abilify and Adderall with no luck.

I am a little nervous about adding the Seroquel. I’ve read that it can cause weight gain, which is something I do NOT need. I’ve struggled with my weight my entire life and it is on the high end now. Gaining more would just make me feel worse about myself. I have yo-yo-ed on the Effexor, but any weight gain was not due to the drug. I am hoping the Seroquel is similar in that it does not make me hungrier. I am already severely isolating largely in part to my weight. I hate that my identity and self-esteem are so tied to the numbers on a scale, but there it is. My depression does not necessarily lift when my weight is down, but when it is up, it is definitely an issue that makes me feel even worse about myself. The irony is that I teach sociology in college and am very vocal about gender issues. I rail against women being defined by their size, and yet the voice inside my head that is directed at me is the worst offender. I’m like a mean girl…but only to myself. Muah!

My PDoc said that if the Seroqul does not work, we might consider working with a psychiatrist to try lithium or something different. He is a DO and admitted that if we begin mixing more drugs he’d feel better if we bring in someone with more expertise. I hope the Seroquel works so that I can avoid getting involved in all of that. Plus, I could really use the bump up right now--sooner rather than later. I’m in a downward spiral and want to stop it asap. Any advice for me regarding the Seroquel mixed with the Effexor?

I was worried about seroquel too. It makes me a little hungrier but I haven't gained any weight due to it. I'd really recommend seeing a psychiatrist if you don't improve soon, they have far more experience with psych meds.

How is the seroquel for you? I take it at bedtime. I think it's a pretty darn good med. I hope it's working out for you! Oh I take Effexor too btw.

A follow-up: The Seroquel is helping, but just a teensy tiny bit. I am on the lowest dose and have read about ppl having success at this dose, but have also read that for depression, it doesn't kick in until it is at a much higher dose. I see my doc on 8/26 for a follow-up and will definitely suggest upping the dosage. I don't really feel any better--and I definitely want to--but I feel as if the Seroquel has promise, if I can find a dosage that helps to kick my Effexor back into high gear. I've read here on the boards that Seroquel can be increased fairly rapidly, which is good to know!

I'm so happy to hear from both of you that you've found that it works for you. Good for you both!!!!

I am glad to see that Seroquel has been helping at least a little, hopefully an increase in the dosage will be all you need.  

I have read on other places that people have had some pretty nasty side effects with the Lithium.  So please ask questions about it if it's brought up again  I will give you a page for the side effects.  I like this site it's easy to read and understand.  Which is good for me cause I tend to get a lot of brain fog. Lithium Side Effects - http://www.pharmacydrugguide.com/Lithium_Side_Effects   I also dug a little deeper to see if it was possible to get a sample from the doctor before putting out the expense.  I found that information towards the bottom of this page.  - http://www.pharmacydrugguide.com/Lithium_Coupons

Has anyone else been on Lithium?  If so did you have any side effects?

I do not know how reliable those websites are. I do not think they are a good source of info. I like and prefer sites like www.drugs.com (Here is info about lithium http://www.drugs.com/lithium.html) Lots of people here take lithium with good results.

ANYWAYS, if the seroquel is helping JenArt, then I think a dose increase will be just the ticket. Thanks for the update Jen! I hope the seroquel will continue to help you out.

JenArt,

I have found that if I take the Seroquel and go to bed immediately thereafter, I fall asleep before the hunger sets in. ;-)

I had a short, unsuccessful trial of Lithium. It gave me a terrible, metallic taste in my mouth. But I was borderline toxic (between 12 and 13).

However, for many people, Lithium is the wonder drug that works wonders.

If it's  any comfort, I didn't gain any weight on Seroquel (not for lack of trying either). I took it for like a year 200-400mg.

i'm on seroquel at the moment - a teensy dose of 75mg - and echo what everyone else has said - take it at bedtime.

the other thing that i'd recommend is an exercise routine first thing in the morning - so you have to get out of bed, exercise, shower, laundry.

it's a really hard ask, but i've found it helpful.

edit - the exercise i've found helps in encouraging healthy eating - so it all works together.

i've been doing bikram yoga - and am hoping that offsets any weight gain via seroquel.

Edited by cipher

I was on effexor 300 mgs for a while and used seroquel at the same time and moodstabilizers also at my worst lithium and epilum, i found with seroquel i was very tired and it made me constipated which was good because i spent all my on the toilet trying to have a bowel movement rather than deciding how i will kill myself.