Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can caffeine pills make you manic?

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Edited by saoirse

Posted

I don't know.  It made me think of Jessie Spano.

Posted

I am sure it would mess up my brain.

Most people with BP 1 have to be very careful what we take.

Posted

I'd say it's possible. I have fueled my hypomania with caffeine before, to get even higher (stupid, I know). 

You seem to tip easily into mania. For that reason, I would be careful with/avoid stimulants. 

Posted

You also need to be careful with caffeine because caffeine will lower your lithium levels and thus it won't work properly

Posted

For me ? It starts by inducing hypo mania, then mania within 30 minutes .. spending money recklessly, laughing away serious problems etc. 

Next thing I know I enter full blown psychosis, many times with visual and auditory hallucinations. At best confusion, disorientation, and paranoia. It is not worth it for a quick pick me up any more lol ...

YMMV but I am VERY careful with caffeine consumption !! 

Posted

I agree that caffeine might induce mania.

Posted

I think it can absolutely. Way back before I was on meds or even knew what mania was, I would guzzle coffee all day and night to keep the natural high I felt going at full throttle. 

Posted

copious amounts of caffeine can keep you awake and up at night. which means............... lack of sleep!  Lack of sleep is more likely to contribute to mania than caffeine. probably not good for your heart rate if you are on a beta blocker or something like Xanax as well.

Posted

I'd say it's possible. I have fueled my hypomania with caffeine before, to get even higher (stupid, I know). 

You seem to tip easily into mania. For that reason, I would be careful with/avoid stimulants.

That's the funny thing... I always have told myself that I'm not easily tipped into mania, but whoa, I think that was denial on my part. Because in this past year alone I've been manic a handful of times. I was never really a "rapid cycler" before, I don't think. I wonder if my illness is getting worse.

I seem to have classic euphoric manias for the most part, other than that caffeine pill debacle. Maybe the fact that my manias always seem so enjoyable (at first) made me look away from the implications of it all. I used to become hypomanic/manic only very rarely.

Posted

I overdosed on caffeine pills once in college: I had a midterm that I was sooooo not prepared for, so I was trying to just get a couple of hours of sleep a day for a few days. But then I couldn't even take the midterm, because I had made myself sick on caffeine. The Dr. actually told me a lot of students came in at midterms and finals with caffeine overdoses. I was already fairly depressed, so I was definitely not tipping.

I can get away with normal caffeine consumption. In college I took pill after pill after pill, way more than what I drink per day.

Posted

copious amounts of caffeine can keep you awake and up at night. which means............... lack of sleep!  Lack of sleep is more likely to contribute to mania than caffeine. probably not good for your heart rate if you are on a beta blocker or something like Xanax as well.

I'd say something along these lines would be more accurate. IMO I don't really think a caffeine high is the same thing as mania. Although I know that they can feel very similar. Caffeine highs can feel just like mania or very similar too it. The hyperactivity, talking fast, fast heartbeat, not sleeping, feeling jittery or bouncy, doing a million things at once, energy to do anything and everything. I think caffeine OD or high can mimic mania to a point.

Posted (edited)

t

Edited by Furious George

Posted

Oh, I messed myself up on caffeine pills, but good, in college once, they were AWFUL...couldn't sleep, but couldn't function to stay up to study, just cried in bed till I had to go take my exam...I am BP2 fwiw, used to take "good" speed" to stay up after my bipolar/insomnia had played out (good for about 2 nights up) ran out of that stuff, so, I tried caffeine pills...ugh, it was AWFULL!!!!

Posted (edited)

I too say it's the lack of sleep that can kick off a hypo/mania, not so much being high on caffeine. That's not to say that caffeine pills can't make you wired. They can. Taking a lot of them sent my mind racing away but my skin crawled, too, which is a special wired on drugs feeling and not something that happens when hypo/manic.

Edited by AnneMarie

Posted

Lack of sleep tends to push me into mania if I'm on the edge of it. And I have had weird experiences with excessive caffeine-hallucinations for one. And dark thoughts and feeling out of control.

Posted (edited)

I always have to stay away from coffee and energy drinks when im hypomanic because they send me into a full blown psychosis. caffeine also makes me very unstable, however tea doesn't affect me much though its still probably not a good idea to drink it. i can start having full blown hallucinations after only a single cup of coffee.

Edited by Courage wolf