CrazyBoards.org

I know it says it in most of our signatures, but I was wondering if we could get a thread going of what antipsychotic(s) we are taking regardless of diagnosis, what dose, how well it/each work on a scale from 1-10, and its side effect(s) + any good side effects:

I take:

antipsychotic:  risperidone
dose:  3mg
performance:  6 out of 10 effectiveness
effects:  I have a large appetite and its hard to keep the pounds off and I sleep 10-12 hours. It keeps my symptoms under my control. I am wondering if there is something better.

AP: Haldol

Effectiveness: 8/10

SE: slight tongue tremor now that I've gone up in dose (to one whole milligram..wheee, ugh), GI upset at the start, kicks my ass sleep-wise if I take 1 mg at once, possible low-level tiredness overall since starting it.

All that aside, it made my head SO quiet. It was wonderful. Then I got manic and now I'm hoping to get back to where I was. The past day or so has been pretty quiet.

invega sustenna - invega is the active form of risperdal so you don't get all the nasty side effects from risperdal

It doesn't make me tired or hungry

when it worked it worked great it was a 8, but meds poop out on me after 3mos so it isn't working for me at the moment

i'm on the max dose of the injectable which is 234mg a month i don't know what that translates to in oral pills

I would reccomend invega.

I've had a lot of med changes in the past year. My sig is no longer accurate. I take Latuda. 40 mg. I just recently got off Haldol. So the effectiveness of the Latuda is about a 7/10. I believe I am gaining weight on it because it gave me water retention. My hallucinations are not as bad. I still believe in my so called "delusions" though. But nothing that bad. My wandering is less, now I wander and in a trance a couple times a day instead of 20 times a day. 

1. AP

2. Dose

3. Performance

4. Side Effects

1. Seroquel

2. 200mg

3. 7/10

4. It makes me sleepy but it still takes hours to fall asleep. Weight gain when I was on a higher dose (didn't realize it til the dose was lowered).

1. Abilify

2. 30mg

3. 8/10

4. Helps my mood a lot. No side effects that I'm aware of.

1. Latuda

2. 80mg

3. 6/10

4. Helps voices and psychotic thinking. Again no known side effects.

Abilify

30 mg, but hopefully soon tapering down to a lower dose. 

I would give it a 9/10. I very seldom still have visual hallucinations, but very seldom. 30 mg seems to be the magic dose to get rid of my psychosis.

Helps literally everything. It acts as my mood stabilizer (one hypomania squeaked through), it takes care of all my positive symptoms, and I have no negative symptoms. 

Side effects: Weight gain - I've gained 30 lbs. I am now a healthy weight though. I also sleep at least 12 hours a day. Sometimes up to 15 hours. Some acne. 

The main reasons I want to taper off are because the weight gain just won't stop, and I can't keep sleeping 12 hours a day once I go back to school. So, I'm going to approach my doctor about lowering my dose, possibly back to 15 mg or 12 mg. 15 mg was when the sleeping problem started, so I'm thinking if I can get under 15 mg and still be okay, I'll stop sleeping so much.  We can only hope. I'll report back during the taper. 

abilify for me.  about 9/10; I still have hallucinations but rarely now (only when I am tired and stressed in any way) or else it would be a 10.  45 mg split 15/30 is the dose I am on.  It definitely minimizes the hallucinations.  Without it I am screwed.

Abilfy5 will be stopping it because of weight gain Then I will just take Loxapine5mg and Lexapro20mg.Abilify worked well for me except I got tired of putting on the pounds that's the reason I am stopping it overall a good drug maybe not for me anymore but for other people it may not cause any side effects were all different in that aspect.

Seroquel 1100mg

8/10

Very happy but can't drop any pounds, still have insomnia :o

I'm tapering up on Amisulpride right now (Don't think it's available in a lot of countries) and I'd give it a 6/10 so far. My head is definitely a lot quieter. The main issue has been daytime drowsiness, but I'm hoping that wears off.

Geodon

9/10

Makes a huge difference for me. Without it I would be unable to function. Very few side effects except for occasional akathisia early on and a very fine tremor in my hands. It seems to become less effective if I am under a lot of stress, however.

Latuda

8/10

I've only ever taken it while taking Geodon, and my doctor has not changed the dose of Geodon while I've been on Latuda. When I started it I was very irritable but that has evened out over time. My therapist says that since I've been on it I've become much more engaging to talk to.

I think the combination of meds is working great, but my doctor wants me to consider adding a low dose of something like Haldol to help with some residual paranoia I still get. Another advantage of this combo is that I have no increased appetite/weight gain and have been losing the weight that I gained from Seroquel, Zoloft, and other drugs I've tried in the past that didn't work out.

I do get paranoid in social situations and about the news occasionally, but so long as I avoid reading the news too often and have an out in social situations I tend to do better.

Here are a few ratings of ones I've been on in the past:

Seroquel

2/10

It got rid of paranoia, but made me extremely silly to the point of embarassment. I think it may have actually made things worse. It also caused me to gain about 60 pounds.

Risperdal

Can't rate

It caused my heart rate to skyrocket. I'm told (because I can't remember anything from this time) that in the hospital they were doing an EKG on me every day because of it. Obviously not the right one for me.

Invega

7/10

Unlike Risperdal, it only caused my heart rate to increase by a little bit. I was on it for several months. Slight increase in appetite, but was highly functional while i was on it.

Abilify

Can't fairly rate, I'm kind of allergic to it, but if I had to, 6/10

It made my mouth swell up, I was drooling and talking funny. It also made me unable to urinate. Worst side effect I've ever had. Despite this, it improved my psychosis to the point that I was able to be discharged (while still having all the side effects and an allergic reaction) only to be readmitted a few days later because of the reaction.

Haldol

8/10

It worked at a time when Geodon stopped working for me because I was too stressed out. It was the only thing that worked, and I was on quite a high dose. It also seriously messed with my body and my sleep. I had some very strange half asleep half awake experiences where I felt like I was dying while on 10 mg of the stuff while in the hospital, but fortunately that went away with time. Also some akathisia and tremors, and my mouth kept moving like I was chewing gum.

Loxitane

9/10

Another typical, like Haldol. Very few side effects. I was also taking this one in combination with Geodon, so it is hard to tell how effective it would have been on its own. The combination worked quite well though. My outpatient psychiatrist changed me to this after I'd been on Haldol in the hospital and I had no discernable side effects from Loxitane.

And a side note about Cogentin and Inderal: I was on Cogentin to help with the akathisa and tremors and motions that haldol gave me at one point. It made my vision so blurry that I could not read even with my glasses on. Inderal is my med of choice if my antipsychotics start causing me too much akathisia or motor side effects.

Edited by chelly

My diagnosis is schizophrenia.

What I am on now:

antipsychotic:  Clozaril
dose:  400mg
performance:  8.5 out of 10 effectiveness
effects:  I sleep like 12+ hrs a night and have increased appetite.  I do find this med helps not only positive symptoms well but negative symptoms better than other antipsychotics

What I took before Clozaril:

antipsychotic:  Zyprexa

dose:  30mg
performance:  7 out of 10 effectiveness
effects:  I slept 12+ hrs a night and had significant increase in appetite and weight.

It helped the positive symptoms a lot but didn't really help the negative symptoms.

I'm tapered down to 20 mg of Abilify so far, and it's still a 9/10 for me. No return of psychosis so far. 

antipsychotic:  latuda

dose:  40mg

performance:  9 out of 10 effectiveness

effects:  Latuda causes sedation when I take it, which is at night.  Since switching from risperdal to latuda I've noticed that I'm going to bed much earlier, and waking up much much earlier in the morning.  Not only that, but when I do wake up I am not groggy like I would have been on risperdal.   I've noticed that I seem to be a little more energetic and confident on latuda.  I think it is more weight neutral than risperdal.  The only downside is that you have to take it with food, so I take it with dinner, and then can get sleepy a little earlier than I'd like (like 10:00 or 10:30 at night.)

• Like 1

AP: Invega

dose: 9mg

performance: 7/10

effects: Just started this while IP and so far not so bad. I still hear the voices though. It's nice to finally be on a drug that doesn't knock me out cold or make me gain a zillion pounds.

AP: Geodon

Dose: 200 mg (40 mg morning, 160 mg night)

Performance: 7/10

Effects: Somewhat sedating but weight neutral. It's been effective until the last month or so, when I've had some pretty bad breakthrough psychotic symptoms. My pdoc added Navane as a supplement which I'm still trying out.

80mg of Latuda

They also added 20 mg of Namenda because they've found it helps with some symptoms of psychosis

I'd give it a 10/10. I've been free of psychotic symptoms for 1.5 years. I'd been on Clozapine previously, which caused me to gain some weight, but I was severly under weight and needed to. Once I started the Latuda, the weight gain stopped, my weight leveled off at a healthy weight, and it has been stable for over a year. I know that the Latuda keeps me at a higher weight than what I used weigh, so I don't think Latuda is as weight neutral as they claim. But I'm so much happier now that I don't mind weighing a few pounds more.

The Latuda is a little sedating, so I found myself taking naps in the day. I also have ADD. Had taken a break from my Adderall for about 10 months, but once I went back on it, the Adderall took care of the sedation. No more naps. I still go to bed early and wake up early.

The Latuda and Namenda have completely changed my life.

• Like 1

AP:  Latuda

Dose:  40 mg

Performance:  7/10

I don't have many side effects from it at 40 mg but WOW, I will walk all over the Walmart at 80 mg.  I still have voices but I don't see anything so that's better.  If I could handle 80 mg I would do it.

• Like 1

AP: Latuda

Dose: 60mg

I still haven't found one that doesn't make me tired but this one doesn't make it so bad.

Risperidone 2mg works well but always hungry, I was on seroquel but it was wearing off each day afew hours early.

Is it possible to lose weight on APs? what happens if you got on a VLCD like 500 calories and exercise?

Well, you'd encounter the same problems that anyone who starves themselves does. You risk a heart attack, your hair falls out in chunks, your skin and nails get disgusting, you get the lack-of-potassium cramps, it really fucking hurts, you get insomnia, etc. Don't do that. Better to be healthy and sane.

Well, you'd encounter the same problems that anyone who starves themselves does. You risk a heart attack, your hair falls out in chunks, your skin and nails get disgusting, you get the lack-of-potassium cramps, it really fucking hurts, you get insomnia, etc. Don't do that. Better to be healthy and sane.

^THIS.

currently i'm only on two for maintenance (paranoid schizophrenia):

prolixin/fluphenazine depot injections (i'm not 100% of the dosage and obviously don't have it at home with me. i think i'm at 50mg every three weeks...but i know for sure they increased after last hospital stay..so it might be 62.5 or it was 37.5 and moved to fifty...) 

zyprexa dissolvables 10 mg

the combination works shockingly well. when i take it/present posterior for injection in timely fashion, etc. i'd give it a solid 9.5/10

probably my single best combination to date. 

the increase in injection size did result in cogentin needing to be switched out for propranolol *and* it's ever more imperative i take all the ativan i'm prescribed per day to combat the akathisia. but that, apart from the pain of the injections themselves (and one muscle tear situation), is my only noteworthy side effect. i've had it on most things for the past few years so ...that's just life at this point. i do have some amount of EPS that either presents as stiffening of muscles or akathisia pretty much always without some additional medication in the mix and titrated up.

Edited by mellifluous