CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
werehorse

Elyn Saks - The Center Cannot Hold

That is awesome. Wish I had known about that before I bought it a couple of years ago. But it's definitely a must-read. She is brilliant. 

I really liked that book.

I listened to it  a couple of years ago.

Thanks!  I haven't read it yet, but read the first few pages and it really caught my attention/kept my interest, so I will probably read it all.

Thanks for posting this link here. I spent all of yesterday reading it. Wow, I don't envy her the SZ but I am envious of her success when I am living such a scrap of a life.

I just spent all day today reading this book and loved it ... thank you for posting this link!

Just wanted to add that I give her a lot of credit for going as far as she has in her career in life.  She really did an awesome job and a lot of hard work to get where she is today.  Hard to do and get through, but a great accomplishment.

thanks! I put it on my kindle (had to convert it) but I haven't had a chance to read it in yet, I've been wanting to for awhile now.

It is definitely worth the read!  I rarely read books because my mind wanders.  It didn't wander one time while reading this.

So, for those of you that have read the book - how do you feel about it vis-a-vis your own life with MI? Does it inspire you and encourage you to go out and achieve? Or does it make you feel inadequate, as in "If she can do it, so can I" but somehow that just doesn't happen and I remain crippled by my MI?

I give her all the credit she richly deserves, especially as she admits that she hasn't recovered, she just has developed ways to cope in spite of the psychosis. But I do not have the strength of will that she has. And the book makes me feel like I just have to try harder, because that's what she did. I know I should try harder and I'd be better. I'd be more functional if I overcame my anxiety and lack of self-worth and engineered myself a job. The book seemed to say "don't accept your limitations"`but I'm don't feel strong enough to fight them. I let them stop me.

I know I am in a depressive episode but I should just try harder like she did despite her SZ, and I don't. I have lost the will. :~( What happened was that the book triggered me. I have been crying all day.

I'm sorry the book triggered you.

When I read it, I was reading about HER life, and what she accomplished etc.  I didn't even once think about comparing it to mine (in terms of having to do better or should try harder) because everyone's MI is different.  She just happened to have the will to go through all the schooling etc that she did, and I remember thinking 'I could never have done that.' 

It doesn't inspire me to go out and achieve, or make me think I should try harder, because I know for a fact I couldn't handle what she did (law school and everything else in her life), and I am fine with that.  For me, there is no comparison there.  The only comparison that kind of came to mind was the part when she wrote about how ending college and the lack of structure started a lot of what happened.

For me, I tend to look at it like a lot of people without mental illness couldn't have done all that she has, for whatever reasons, so it doesn't really make me feel inadequate or anything, because everyone is different. Some people with MI can become doctors and such, some can't, just like some people without MI can become doctors and such, and some can't. "Success" is a very, very subjective thing, and we can all be hugely successful in our own ways within our own lives and capabilities, and it's no less of an accomplishment. It's just another overcoming-enormous-adversity story, which I find uplifting regardless of the issues at hand, but I don't feel it reflects on my own abilities or life struggles. I definitely understand how it could make you feel that way, though, and I'm sorry it had such a negative impact on you. 

I have to say that I was so out of it when I listened to that book that I didn't even connect until JUST recently that she's the person who gave the TED talk about her MI.

At that point in my life, I was trying desperately to hold on to the truth that I knew about myself and not let MI become the ONLY story of my life. Hearing stories of recovery helped me to keep fighting for the quality of life that I knew was possible for me, even when my care providers told me I should give up trying to work and just accept that this was going to be my life.

I don't think it was so much about comparing her life to mine as it was having reminders of what is possible when we don't ever give up on ourselves. I deeply appreciated that at the time.

Thanks for your support. I had a really bad day. I'm more together today. And it was a good book.

Glad you're feeling better, Luna, even if it is just a little bit. I hope it keeps up!