Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starship_subaru

manic, and...sleepy?

32 posts in this topic

I always tend to sleep 2-3 hours a night for 3 nights, and then crash on the 4th day, and sleep for like 13 hours. My pdoc told me that was a "normal" pattern for mania, but I don't get severe manias. When I am mixed I sleep more than when I am manic.

This is pretty much the same for me too.

Unless I am mixed- then it is struggling to get to sleep. I may get 3-5 hr sleep (my normal sleep is 7-10hr) but it's a struggle with the agitation keeping me awake, or the thoughts or the constant buzz/whirl of energy and I just can't sleep but I can't move either as my thoughts are crazy ones and yeah....

It can make me even crazier to start trying to line up my symptoms with all of the "rules" and "criteria". Bipolar existed before the DSM. They are just trying to force a template down over it which is important and helpful but it also makes us disqualify ourselves from certain things because we don't fit the criteria perfectly. Every single one of us has a different and individual form of bipolar even though there are many strong similarities. If it feels like your hypomania to you even though you are sleeping than it seems like it is probably a hypomania with sleepiness. Stranger things have happened.

I was batshit manic for four months and slept well though I had a newborn but the whole time I was like well I can't be manic because I am tired and sleeping well. Well dude I was receiving important messages from spirits and all kinds of shit like that. Um yeah. That is mania for me. I don't just do shit like that normally tho I am spiritual. There is a line! Right.

Oh and your description of how you feel right now with the spirituality and the emotion and all of that. I totally relate.

Many times when I am hypo/manic I tend to go to bed early. It's not that I'm sleepy though; it's out of excitement. I get so into my project and know that I work best between 9am and 2pm, so I work then and revise my work and plan the next day's work for the rest of the day and go to bed around 8pm excited to start my work the next day. Whatever I am working on is going to be so great and change my life and maybe, the world! I know the body needs sleep to function, so I force myself to bed early so I can 'work better.' Eventually, I fall asleep around 9:30 or 10pm.

I view night as an unfortunate inconvenience in the way of my activity. I think, "The earlier I go to bed, the quicker morning will come." It's like a child waiting for Santa... if you don't go to bed, he won't come.

The sleep is very disrupted, waking up every 1 - 2 hours ready to go. Realizing it's only 11pm, I have to force myself back to sleep, only to wake up again at 12am, 1am and so on. Finally waking up around 2  or 3am and just saying, "fuck it" and getting up to exercise and plan the day's work. Many times I don't even fall all the way asleep, I call it the "half-sleep" (I'm sure you guys know this all too well). Of course, this is all for the 'fun' hypo/mania.

My sleep is just generally sucky when it's agitated. Same type of disruptions, only I go to bed later. I am typically sleepy in these, just exhausted, you know? I want to sleep, but can't. In agitated states, I don't want to start my day at 2:30am, I am forced to due to the sleep disruptions and stuff.

As for the mixed episodes - I hate them... so very, very much. I experience these a lot. I am not too trusting of the DSM and their definitions. My mixed episodes are never made up of full mania or major depression. They are more agitated hypomania and less extreme depression. Not that that makes them any less sucky for me, I can't get anything done and feel like such a worthless piece of shit. I do have a tendency to get really paranoid when I'm all mixed up - and it doesn't help that I'm a 'runner.'

My partner is bipolar and has had difficulty sleeping his entire life. He does not sleep well, ever - EXCEPT when he's manic. Then, he seems to sleep like a baby, although there was one episode I recall where he didn't sleep much for about 3 weeks while pretending he was Ron Jeremy (hypersexual is always how it manifests) but that was long before we suspected bipolar. It was a big question whether he was bipolar at all because he lacked this one particular criteria that seemed to define manic episodes. During the last one, which lasted several months, he went off the rails chasing a woman who was not interested in him sexually or romantically, got incredibly hung up on her and incredibly irritated with me for no apparent reason. I was unaware any of it was happening until it became blatantly obvious. However, I was aware that something was desperately wrong and started having issues sleeping myself, up thinking about why things were so messed up, and I am absolutely sure he was sleeping soundly because I wasn't and it was by far the worst and most delusional manic episode he's had. 

The fact that his sleep changes during a manic phase - even if it goes in the opposite way that it does for most, it's still changes in sleep.

It's not required to not sleep while manic, though from what I've seen it's definitely one of the more common ones and therefore I can definitely see why you're confused. And honestly, if it wasn't part of your past manic episodes then it's possible that lack of sleep just isn't one of your symptoms.

I know for me, sleep is a huge thing. I can go on 3-5 hours a night when hypo and 0-4 hours a night when manic and be absolutely fine. But that's just me. I also have sleep disruption when depressed, but I can go 10-13 hours if I have the time once I get going. It's more trouble falling asleep and not really staying asleep then.

Edited by jacques

My sleep is normally out of whack but I don't notice much change when I am manic. Also, if you are being really active, mania can wear you out.

(I didn't realize this post was sooo old)

Edited by confused

I agree with whomever said it could be a mixed state. You can feel manic but still sleep a lot and have low energy...