Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

1422 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi, new here. I've been treated for severe depression/anxiety and some hypo mania for 9 years now. I've been in my longest downward spiral since having my second child- almost been a year. Nothing is working. I started Brintellix today, been searching google like crazy and can't find any one else who is taking this. Am I the only one? If you have taken it, how did you like it? Switching from Effexor... I'm down from 300 mg to 150.

Posted · Report post

It has apparently just come on the market so finding someone that has taken it is a long shot. Please let us know how it works for you. I'm sure others will be interested as well.  

Posted · Report post

I am certainly interested in how you get on with it.

Posted · Report post

I had never heard of it until now. Sounds promising, though. I hope it works for you! 

Posted · Report post

Thanks, I will keep you updated. It is insanely expensive but I'm at the point now where any price is worth getting my life back. I have two babies to take care and have hardly functioned for a year. In the meantime, if anyone else is taking it please let me know how it's working for you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wanted to update this for anyone who is keeping up with it. Today is my 5th day on Brintellix; along with 150 mg effexor (decreased from 300 initial- 225 mg 6 days ago), .5 mg Xanax as needed (up to 4x/day), 300 mg topamax, 200 mg seroquel xr.

Biggest changes I have noticed are increased desire to clean. Increased energy, although still tired. At times smiling *just because* and feeling positive!!! <---- a first in years! Not as annoyed by people and noise, interacting more with people and my kids. Was taking 3-4 Xanax a day now 2-3.

However, this is not all the time. I still have lows, but I'm also coming off the cymbalta. I am so hopeful for brintellix! Sometimes I worry that I feel a little too good when I do feel good, but it's been so long I don't know what a true happy is.

Edited by LetMeEatCake!

Posted · Report post

It is definitely worth following your thread, SSRIs have improved dramatically over the years.

Posted · Report post

I wanted to update this for anyone who is keeping up with it. Today is my 5th day on Brintellix; along with 150 mg effexor (decreased from 300 initial- 225 mg 6 days ago), .5 mg Xanax as needed (up to 4x/day), 300 mg topamax, 200 mg seroquel xr.

Biggest changes I have noticed are increased desire to clean. Increased energy, although still tired. At times smiling *just because* and feeling positive!!! <---- a first in years! Not as annoyed by people and noise, interacting more with people and my kids. Was taking 3-4 Xanax a day now 2-3.

However, this is not all the time. I still have lows, but I'm also coming off the cymbalta. I am so hopeful for brintellix! Sometimes I worry that I feel a little too good when I do feel good, but it's been so long I don't know what a true happy is.

That is very encouraging. 

Posted · Report post

LetMeEatCake!

You may be the first person reporting their Brintellix experience online... so your experience reports are on the same priority level as that of Sputnik or the first monkey launched into space.

Any chance for weekly Brintellix updates on how you are doing? Glad to see it has made someone happy.

Posted · Report post

Yesterday marked 1 week on Brintellix. Yesterday and today haven't been as good as the past week, not as much energy and less of that outright happy feeling. I've been searching to find what the expected time frame is for Brintellix to show its maximum benefit but haven't been able to find anything yet.

Going up to 20 mg tomorrow and down to 75 mg of the Effexor. I will keep reporting back.

Sometimes, an SSRI can initially be activating, then the anxiolytic/calming effects kick in. Maybe that's what the current adjustment is?

SOme of the new SSRI's can work as soon as the first week, vilazodone was that way for me by about week 1.5

Since you are tapering off of other drugs you may also get some discontinuation effects so be careful not to mistake those for the effect that Brintellix is having. It may take some time.

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit

Posted · Report post

I see nothing to suggest that the old adage that you have to give it six weeks doesn't apply here. The initial good feeling could be a result of decreasing the Effexor. I always get a couple of EXCELLENT days when I come off an antidepressant. Unfortunately it doesn't last.

Posted · Report post

I see nothing to suggest that the old adage that you have to give it six weeks doesn't apply here. The initial good feeling could be a result of decreasing the Effexor. I always get a couple of EXCELLENT days when I come off an antidepressant. Unfortunately it doesn't last.

What this guy^ says.

Although vortioxetine hits many of the same receptors as vilazodone so it could theoretically be a fast acting SSRI. But it's also true that it may not act rapidly just bc it's a newer SSRI. Polypharma is always confusing.

Posted · Report post

My pdoc and I are considering my going on Brintellix. I'm curious, LetMeEatCake if your insurance covers it? i know you mentioned it's expensive.

Try Brintellix, at the very least it likely won't make you stupid.

"

Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2013 Apr;105:41-50. doi: 10.1016/j.pbb.2013.01.019. Epub 2013 Feb 1.
Vortioxetine (Lu AA21004), a novel multimodal antidepressant, enhances memory in rats.
Mørk A, Montezinho LP, Miller S, Trippodi-Murphy C, Plath N, Li Y, Gulinello M, Sanchez C.
Author information
Abstract

The serotonergic system plays an important role in cognitive functions via various 5-HT receptors. Vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) in development as a novel multimodal antidepressant is a 5-HT3, 5-HT7 and 5-HT1D receptor antagonist, a 5-HT1B receptor partial agonist, a 5-HT1A receptor agonist and a 5-HT transporter (5-HTT) inhibitor in vitro. Preclinical studies suggest that 5-HT3 and 5-HT7 receptor antagonism as well as 5-HT1A receptor agonism may have a positive impact on cognitive functions including memory. Thus vortioxetine may potentially enhance memory. We investigated preclinical effects of vortioxetine (1-10mg/kg administered subcutaneously [s.c.]) on memory in behavioral tests, and on cortical neurotransmitter levels considered important in rat memory function. Contextual fear conditioning and novel object recognition tests were applied to assess memory in rats. Microdialysis studies were conducted to measure extracellular neurotransmitter levels in the rat medial prefrontal cortex. Vortioxetine administered 1h before or immediately after acquisition of contextual fear conditioning led to an increase in freezing time during the retention test. This mnemonic effect was not related to changes in pain sensitivity as measured in the hotplate test. Rats treated with vortioxetine 1h before training spent more time exploring the novel object in the novel object recognition test. In microdialysis studies of the rat medial prefrontal cortex, vortioxetine increased extracellular levels of acetylcholine and histamine. In conclusion, vortioxetine enhanced contextual and episodic memory in rat behavioral models. Further demonstration of its potential effect on memory functions in clinical settings is warranted.

Copyright © 2013 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

"

Posted · Report post

Well, today was my second day on 20 mg Brintellix. 3rd day down to 75 mg of Effexor. I waited a day to go up on the Brintellix because I didn't want to waste a half pill.

I believe that coming off the Effexor is becoming more difficult for me. My anxiety is increasing when it was decreasing and I'm becoming more impatient and easy to anger. That said, I've also had a sick baby who needs my attention every second of every day the past few weeks and it's wearing on me. Anyone with mood stabilization issues will tell you that adequate sleep and time to take care of yourself are both necessities and I've been missing out on both of them.

Its hard to tell at this point what is caused by the Brintellix increase, Effexor decrease, and mothering a 3 yo and sick almost 1 yo. I've been getting hot flashes some which I think is from coming off the Effexor, I got them a lot when I started it. Some numbness in fingers and toes-- Brintellix?

Unstrung Harp- My insurance covers 0% but doesn't cover any prescription that isn't generic.

Also wanted to put out there that of all AD I've been on, Viibryd worked the best for me. Staying hopeful for Brintellix!

Hi LetMeEatCake!

I am new here too, and I am also taking Brintellix. I took my first one on Dec 30th. So far I am liking it - no real complaints. This is by far the easiest AD I have ever started on. Usually I get the worst side effects when starting new ADs, but I really think my body does not like SSRIs.

I was on Lexapro for 2.5 yrs, but stopped in August. I've only been taking benzos and sleeping pills since then to deal with anxiety and insomnia, but I was building up tolerance to them and they weren't working so well anymore. The anxiety and insomnia were causing/worsening my depression. My new doc suggested I give brintellix a try because it is also thought to be good for anxiety. I am also tapering off the benzos. So far so good! I go back next week for a follow up. I have no idea what this drug is going to cost me - right now I am on samples from the doc. I am scared to find out how much it will be. But if it works, it will be worth it!

I read that it takes 2 weeks to begin to feel the positive effects, and 4 weeks to really feel a difference. Right now I am on 10 mg. I believe full doage is 20mg. Maybe I'll get bumped up next week at my follow up appt.

Please me posted on how you are doing, and I will continue to do the same.

Edited by Katygirl

Posted · Report post

Awesome posts!

Katygirl, also thanks for joining in! Now we got awesome 2 ppl taking this new drug..

Keep it up and hang in there! Transitioning between drugs can always be difficult, in the clinical trials I've read vortioxetine seems worth the wait.

Posted · Report post

Any updates?

Posted · Report post

Katygirl- so excited to have someone else around taking Brintellix! It will be nice to hear your experience on it, especially since we started around the same time. I agree, it has been the easiest medication I have taken by far side effect wise. I have experienced some of the nausea I was warned about on the 20 mg (didn't on the 10 mg) but only in the morning after taking it and it usually subsides by the time I eat lunch. I think if you eat a large breakfast with it, that would help the nausea, but I'm usually just grabbing little things to snack on while tending to my kids. Other than that I wouldn't even be able to tell I am taking it and I am also the type of person that tends to get every single side effect.

I have had a hard time coming off the Effexor, the beginning of this week I noticed a lot of increased anger, irritability, tiredness, etc. I think that going down from 150 mg to 75 mg on the Effexor has been the hardest drop yet. I am not at all looking forward to the next drop and fully expect to have another "downward" shift until I'm completely off of this medication.

That said, I think I've adjusted somewhat to the 75 mg effexor and the past two days have been doing really well on the Brintellix! Yesterday marked 2 weeks total since starting. My energy is definitely increased. During the week I average 5-6 hrs of sleep a night and usually drag. Today I have been full of energy, a happy engaged mother, I even made some homemade crafts with my daughter. I am planning on making some cupcakes with her tomorrow. I have been cleaning out our exercise room so that I can actually get to the exercise equipment to use! I went out to Target on my own just to get out- I rarely leave the house unless absolutely necessary. I made a meal plan and got groceries for the week- I haven't cooked in at least half a year!! I've also been itching for things to do for myself, and wanting to stay busy. I've been talking with friends on the phone and not in all out avoidance mode.

All good things here! Hoping it just gets better and better.

This is awesome. The nausea side effects are also possible to decrease over time.

Also, note if there are any cognitive gains such as improved memory, as vortioxetine has shown this in animal studies.

If vortioxetine causes any diarrhea (SSRI side effect, but not one common for vortioxetine) try adding the HDAC inhibitor known as sodium butyrate. http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-7231-american-biologics-butyri-plex-700-mg-90-capsules-formerly-omega-plex

Vortioxetine is likely to feel much cleaner than Effexor in terms of side effects, SSRIs have come a long way in terms of reduction of side-effects.

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

I went for my 2-week follow up today and all is still well. As my doc suggested, I take the brintellix with my largest meal, and that has helped avoid any nausea. Today I got bumped up from 10 mg to 20 mg, so we'll see if I stay nausea-free. The only other side effect I've had is constipation the last few days, so I'm adding more fiber to my diet and hopefully that will do the trick. My depression on the measurement scale has really improved in these 2 weeks. The anxiety is still there, but the doc said the meds take a bit longer to work on anxiety. I had to pay for my 20 mg RX today - holy cow is it expensive (I got the first 2 week as samples). But if it works, it will be worth it. Like LetMeEatcake, I am feeling much more productive, cleaning more(!), and more motivated. I do feel sharper at work, but that could also be the placebo effect.

My main reason for even going to the doc was anxiety and terrible insomnia. I am taking diazepam to taper off the other benzos I was taking for sleep that weren't working anymore anyway, and also taking Lunesta 3mg to sleep. So far the taper is going well. I've gone from 3-6 hrs of sleep per night, to around 6 hrs a night. Still not a lot - I'd rather have 7-8, but I feel so much more energized and less exhausted than I previously did on 6 hrs.

The other things he has me doing are 30-45 minutes of blue light each morning to regulate my sleep cycle, and relaxation/mindfulness meditation (i do about 10-15 minutes per day) with some itunes or ipad apps to help with my anxiety.

I am really hopeful, and looking forward to seeing what the 20 mg will do.

If anyone else starts taking this, please also chime in!

Posted · Report post

Today was even better than yesterday, and I was worried because I got even less sleep than the night before (approx 4 hrs). Also, my husband is in a bad mood today which normal rubs off on me and gets me down, today I am going strong and smiling, laughing. I made those cupcakes with my daughter and we had a blast. She has had so much fun with mommy the past few days and I can just see how she is loving the time with me, and it makes my heart happy.

For a short period today I just laid on the couch with my son and watched about 10 minutes of tv and my mind wasn't racing with all the things it should be doing. I'm typically constantly making lists and analyzing what I should be cleaning, cooking, planning, etc- then never actually accomplishing anything because I get so overwhelmed by all my thoughts. My anxiety is better, I feel calmer and have more concentration. I am really looking forward to more people starting this amazing medication and seeing how things develop on it!

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the updates, you guys. You are making me cautiously optimistic about possibly trying Brintellix.

Thanks for the updates. These posts also help you keep good records of how well this drug is or isn't working for you. It also helps out others.

I've noticed that light therapy is being discovered by the smart people. It actually works to entrain the circadian rhythm and beats Z-drugs. Melatonin or ramelteon sometimes helps certain people too.

Amla http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1031&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=33 is a pretty good semi-laxative herb for regulating the GI. I'm sure there are others as well. I wouldn't take them at the same time as taking my meds though.