LetMeEatCake!

Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

1544 posts in this topic

The Brintellix seems to be majorly upsetting my stomach. I take it with my largest meal, usually at dinner. Have others experienced this too? 

Yes, this was my biggest problem. If you can work through it, It should subside within 3-7 days. It did for me and has not recurred.

The Brintellix seems to be majorly upsetting my stomach. I take it with my largest meal, usually at dinner. Have others experienced this too? 

Yes, this was my biggest problem. If you can work through it, It should subside within 3-7 days. It did for me and has not recurred.

Lucky! I'm not sure why my nausea keeps reoccurring? Called my psych office again and once again got the voicemail. It's a good thing I saved the supervisor assistant's number because I called her and told her I needed some samples, ASAP due to my situation. She agreed to meet me at the office and give me some. I'm off to pick them up soon.

Hey, everybody!

I was disgusted with my last post as I feel like I sounded weirdly pretentious but stupid. I was admittedly plastered on 2,100mg. (I ate two of the 50mg. sample packs that contain 21 capsules each, so I munched upon forty-two 50mg. capsules) of Lyrica (pregabalin) which really effected my cognitive skills and personality more so than a 12 pack of Bud Light plus some shots would have (I'm guessing). I even started something on Facebook that I should not have gotten into! It is the craziest drug out there for me as it impairs my judgement more than anything else. The only reason why I do it is because it is my favorite substance to abuse (I've tried them all, trust me) because it is so much fun. I actually do not have much of a substance abuse problem; I solely abuse Lyrica these days (not wild anymore, just want to let my meds work). Usually, I abuse Lyrica once a week, twice if there is a cool sports/concert event (really fun at these) because I don't want it to interfere with my gabapentin tolerance (which it does). Just think of an alcoholic. They usually just drink alcohol and do nothing else, right? I don't like the taste of alcohol, but I can eat Lyrica. It's like that. 

In my last post, I really messed up a description of Brintellix's activation. I want to go ahead and recap it here:

"This morning, I was driving to work with my girlfriend (we carpool) on this dreary day, which is yet again a paradigmatic trigger for an onset of a depressive episode. You know, another very ashy and wintry day, but the sun peeked out again! It once again illuminated my girl's precious eyes (her eyes are so amazing!), auroral, and I felt love that was palpable. We were approaching the bridge to drive on; I could tell she was very depressed about an antagonistic coworker. She seemed more depressed than I get in my episodes. I told her, "Stop living this lie that you have to be stuck depressed and be miserable all the time. Look at what we're doing right now. Did you know that we can make anything fun? Life is like a movie. You dream it, you live it. You don't let people who are not about that life get under your skin." She looked at me as the sun was starting to obscure behind an oyster cloud. The peppered cloud accelerated and as it started to disguise the sun, she said, "I just think about falling off this bridge." I patted her on the back, and I tried to hug her; for once, I was the happy one. Sui generis."

Also, I get the impression that my writing style is perhaps too formal and makes me come off as a douche; therefore, I'm going to go for a more casual style from here on out. 

Keep in mind, I earned an English minor at my university, and I place a lot of emphasis on proper writing. It's the style I write in for my job all day. I'm going to stray from that because I don't want to seem so pretentious anymore. I'm here to give advice, give information, and interact with people on Brintellix therapy. I have no malice towards anyone. 

Update:  feel very satisfied with this med.   The weird moments of anxiety, the tiredness, the nausea have all been temporary and not too severe.  They have all pretty much passed now, I think.   I'm feeling better than I have on SSRIs and SNRIs.   Feel more energetic and calm, less racing thoughts, more focused.  I have been able to joke around more with people the last couple of days.    So thumbs up so far. 

Wow, I am so happy for you, Blue Toad. This makes my day for real. I think I'm gonna respond like this too. I think. I hope things continue to get better, bud!

The severe nausea is back for me and I haven't even started on 20mg yet. Still having problems getting it fyi. No luck yet. 

Aww, I'm so sorry you're so sensitive to medication. And you're in such a shitty situation! You must live in BFE. I am really sorry, and if you ever want to PM me, please feel free to do so. 

Day 4 for me and nothing much to report as far as side effects. By far the most benign AD I've ever started..........so far. I have felt a little happier the last couple of days but that could coincidence.

Basically, this is my report for today. Please continue to update, quiet storm. Thanks.

Hi all, 

I'm brand spankin new here. I actually just signed up because I found this post to be so helpful, as I just started taking Brintellix and have been googling like mad trying to find out if I'm the only one with certain side effects, etc. 

I was on 10 mg for about a week and was so very nauseous the first few days, but it slowly went away. When the nausea went away, I actually realized that my mood was so much better! I just have a better attitude about life. I bumped it up to 20mg 2 days ago, and ughhhhhh the nausea is back and worse than ever. I haven't thrown up....Just a bunch of dry heaving (TMI? Sorry).

I'm just lying in bed today hoping the nausea goes away like it did after a few days on 10 mg...because I know this medicine if FINALLY helping my depression. It feels good to feel good emotionally after testing so many different other anti-depressants (including Fetzima, Effexor, Prozac, and Zoloft). 

So, not sure what my point was. Just sharing my experience on this. And hoping the nausea goes away. And thanking y'all for the information y'all have provided about this drug because it is so hard to find stuff on the internet because it's so new!

If the nausea doesn't subside, 10mg. therapy is still effective. 

Managed to get two weeks worth of samples! She also told me she's going to call the sales rep and see what's going on.

Tigers,

I'm a writer, too.  I noticed your language was rather formal at times, but don't worry about it.  We're here to share and help each other.  Use what feels most natural.  

On another note: I'm concerned you are taking too many meds that might be adversely affecting your cognition -- especially the pregabalin and the topiramate.   Are you taking the nuvigal and adderall to offset the cognition problems from those meds?    If so, I think you should consider the possibility that some of your meds may just be canceling each other out.   Taking that many meds at once is also bound to be hard on your liver, pancreas and kidneys, especially your liver.   Do you think you could get by with just one mood stabilizer, one stimulant, and one AD?

Best,

BT

Edited by Blue Toad

Today I started 5mg vortioxetine. I am also on 25mg agomelatine.

I plan to continue 5mg for 1mo, then move to 10mg the next mo, 15mg the 3rd mo, then maybe 20mg the 4th mo - depending on how I respond.

I will report 5mg results back at the end of mo1. I will probably also use 15-30mg zinc to augment once I have reached my final stable upper dose.

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit

I plan to continue 5mg for 1mo, then move to 10mg the next mo, 15mg the 3rd mo, then maybe 20mg the 4th mo - depending on how I respond.

I will report 5mg results back at the end of mo1. I will probably also use 15-30mg zinc to augment once I have reached my final stable upper dose.

Good luck, Couch Hobbit! :)

Just curious. Why zinc?

Just curious. Why zinc?

Because zinc augments SSRI efficacy according to a dozen plus studies, And I dont like to use the other alternative which is lithium or thyroid hormone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23602205

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19150479

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14730113

In some studies up to 60mg zinc sulfate was used to augment SSRIs.

There is currently no 'best' form of zinc proven to enhance SSRI response. Something to try at your own discretion. The 15-30mg range is pretty safe.

1 person likes this

The problem with zinc is a lot of foods, especially grains, block its absorption in the digestive tract. There is product called Zytaze that helps; it combines zinc citrate with the enzyme phytase.

www.zytaze.com.

Edited by Blue Toad

Neat.

The problem with zinc is a lot of foods, especially grains, block its absorption in the digestive tract. There is product called Zytaze that helps; it combines zinc citrate with the enzyme phytase.
www.zytaze.com.

Neat.

You'd have to search pubmed "zinc" + each SSRI by chemical name to find all the studies. You do not have to use zinc sulfate, whatever form of zinc you are most comfortable with will probably work if these studies are correct.

Just curious. Why zinc?

Because zinc augments SSRI efficacy according to a dozen plus studies, And I dont like to use the other alternative which is lithium or thyroid hormone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23602205

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19150479

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14730113

In some studies up to 60mg zinc sulfate was used to augment SSRIs.

There is currently no 'best' form of zinc proven to enhance SSRI response. Something to try at your own discretion. The 15-30mg range is pretty safe. I understand. Just be careful. I've studied some about supplements and minerals myself. 15-30 seems like a safe range. Just don't overdo it. Zinc can have undesirable effects at higher dosages.

One mineral I've found indispensable. Magnesium. Try that if you haven't already. Responsible for a lot of processes in our body and a lot of folks are deficient. Some forms are better to take than others because of bioavailability and it causes diarrhea if you take too much. I take magnesium citrate. It's known as calming. A lot of people take it at nighttime. Very beneficial.

Edited by quiet storm

Managed to get two weeks worth of samples! She also told me she's going to call the sales rep and see what's going on.

Yeah! Re the nausea - are you taking it with food? Maybe try eating some saltines when you feel nausea. I found myself eating more at first, but now that has stopped. How are you feeling?

casting Couch and Quiet Storm- Re the zinc and magnesium- can you explain further? Is it supposed to enhance the effect of Brintellix, and if so, for what diagnosis? I have anxiety and supposedly depression, also insomnia, but no bipolar. Would zinc or magnesium help me?

Today is now Day 6 of Brintellix therapy, and I must say that I think I like it so far. There is a poster that mentioned they felt anxiolytic results this early in medicating, I believe.

I feel that I may be experiencing an induced hypomanic response; in other words, an antidepressant response for most persons. I cannot say if my swing to hypomania from my recent depressive episode is elicited by vortioxetine. I am awake QAM, and I actually want to participate in activities "outside my window" in the real world.

If you want to call this mania, that's fine. But, I'd say my depression levels have been reduced with Brintellix.

Now, I don't want to solely exist inside the phony, yet well-developed, inner reality in my head. I was discussing with my girlfriend whether or not she preferred the external world or the internal world inside her head (and the things associated with it). I told her that I would have to pick my internal world which comprises my dreamscape and creativity. She told me that this choice wasn't typical and that most people, especially those who are underprivileged, do not have the luxury to develop a luscious internal world because they have too many external obligations. This really made me realize that I should attempt to exteriorize myself more.

I do not have a divination that my mania will be bombastic. The feeling that I've acquired from vortioxetine administration is subtle yet potent. I would describe my response compatibly to my initial responses to the atypical antipsychotics Abilify (aripiprazole) and Latuda (lurasidone). I didn't experience any physical side effects from these, but I did get agile mental effects in terms of altering the way I ruminate about life. You dream it, you live it.

Side effects, there are none to report. I cannot attribute any symptoms to vortioxetine.

I hope everyone is on Brintellix is OK! 

casting Couch and Quiet Storm- Re the zinc and magnesium- can you explain further? Is it supposed to enhance the effect of Brintellix, and if so, for what diagnosis? I have anxiety and supposedly depression, also insomnia, but no bipolar. Would zinc or magnesium help me?

Zinc. But I am not referring to it as a nutritive supplement, as it appears to augment the efficacy of SSRIs (sort of like lithium).

I have read no such studies combining Magnesium with SSRIs. I have nothing against magnesium, it probably wouldnt hurt to use both, but I am referring to the use of zinc as a means of antidepressant augmentation when specifically combined with an SSRI.

Horsediva, that happened to me too. Not sure where you live, but I tried Rite Aid first and they told me that their supplier was out of it, and they didn't know when they would get any. They called all the Rite Aids around and one 50 miles away had 1 bottle of 10 mgs, but I needed 20 mgs. I called Savon right down the street, and they had a bottle of 20 mg in stock so I got it there. So try a few more local pharmacies and see if they have it. In the meantime, maybe your doc can get you some more samples, and if he is out, maybe the rep can fedex some.

This is one more reason for switching to mail order, which I did after the above incident. I now have 90 days supply at a time.

A little concerned reading these comments that people are having trouble getting the Brintellix. I'm not due for a refill for a week or so, but now I'm curious if that will be a problem that I need to anticipate. So far I have had zero issues filling the prescriptions, which was actually surprising given that it's new and I go to a small independently owned pharmacy that doesn't tend to overstock expensive meds. I will say that I switched to that pharmacy years ago because of the full-on incompetency I experienced over several years at various locations of the chain you mention. Husband and I would literally make bets before going in as to whether there would be a verbal altercation going on at the counter between the pharmacist/techs and customers that they had screwed over, because it was so common. The final straw was when they told my SIL that the manufacturer of one of her prescriptions had had a fire and the plant burned down, nobody had the med and there would be no more of that med available. So she went to the little independent shop and found out that yes, there had been a fire, it had slowed production for a day or so, but they were able to get it in almost immediately.You would think with their buying power that a big chain like that would have a more seamless pipeline, but apparently not. But as they have driven the smaller operations out of business, I know most people don't have a choice. Anyway, sorry, my little rant about R*te A*d). Here's hoping that the availability issue is just a little blip that will resolve soon.

I had dropped off my written prescription at Rite Aid and they told me they would order it and it would be in the next day. I think I waited 2 days and then called to make sure they had received it. You would think they would have called me when they found out it was unavailable. Anyway, when I asked the tech how the distributor could be out, she told me that the manufacturer was probably out of an ingredient and had to stop production. Yeah, right, this drug had only been released for 2 mos in the U.S., I highly doubt they would have to stop production!

So when Savontold me they had it in stock, the pharmacist tried to call Rite Aid to get the RX transferred. They actually told him they were too busy and to call back later. He finally got it transferred the next day and was able to fill it. But he did tell me that when I needed refills to give them a few days notice so he could order it if needed. I guess it is not something They keep more than 1 bottle of, probably in part due to the cost, but maybe also because not too many people were using it. Hopefully now that it is becoming more popular, more pharmacies and distributors will keep it on hand. So yeah, I hate Rite Aid too.

thanks for the heads up about this. Stopped into my pharmacy for my migraine med and asked them about the Brintellix, and though their wholesaler has been short they were able to get me some for Monday. Glad I didn't wait til next week to try.

So far these have helped for my Brintellix headaches:

Loratidine

Migrafew (feverfew) been on this for a week in anticipation to possible Brintellix sfx of headache,  as I can't tolerate headaches very well

500mg acetaminophen as needed

Oddly enough, the loratidine seems to be the most effective in stopping that dull persistent headache I woke up with this morning (day 2 of 5mg Vort, for me). Otherwise I feel oddly better than normal in spite of it being rather early as I have told myself not to expect anything until at least week 4. I want to take this one slowly bc I'd love for it to work. I got more done today than usual. This is not SSRI activation or anything, I don't feel activated or overly energetic as I often do when starting an SSRI, I just feel like the 'on switch' to my brain is working better than yesterday and the days before yesterday. Have my fingers crossed. WIll proceed SLOWLY with patience.

I start 20mg of Brintellix tonight with my samples. I feel like it's definitely going to murder my stomach. 

Morning Y'all,

Happy(?) Monday! I am happy to report that I am GI issue free after just under a month on Brintellix. I know we are all different but hopefully those of you with continuing issues can make it past the threshold. The anxiety issues are still intense so we are upping the mgs on my Clonazepam. I'm hoping this will help. Yesterday I had 3 mgs. + 1 mg of Xanax (I was desperate for some immediate relief) and basically felt no abatement. There's always a lump in my throat. There's always some way that my mind will twist the most mundane of interactions/happenings into the harbinger for the end of the world! I'm just trying to work through it. I look forward to the 6 week mark to see if there has been some efficacy for the anxiety.

I think the best thing for me has truly been the calmness that Brintellix has given me. I was a little irritable this morning (let's attribute it to the time change, shall we?) but I have been soooooo much more even-keeled lately. This is especially welcome in my life. We have adopted a blind dog and just discovered it has heartworms. Our kitchen and living room are currently gutted, and we have had about 6 weddings/babies enter our lives. And I've made it through without treating my husband or myself like crap. I sort of feel like the person I'm supposed to be. This is by far the best medication I have taken yet. I hope that it continues to be and that things improve further.

Horsediva, I'm thinking of you girl!!

Morning Y'all,

Happy(?) Monday! I am happy to report that I am GI issue free after just under a month on Brintellix. I know we are all different but hopefully those of you with continuing issues can make it past the threshold. The anxiety issues are still intense so we are upping the mgs on my Clonazepam. I'm hoping this will help. Yesterday I had 3 mgs. + 1 mg of Xanax (I was desperate for some immediate relief) and basically felt no abatement. There's always a lump in my throat. There's always some way that my mind will twist the most mundane of interactions/happenings into the harbinger for the end of the world! I'm just trying to work through it. I look forward to the 6 week mark to see if there has been some efficacy for the anxiety.

I think the best thing for me has truly been the calmness that Brintellix has given me. I was a little irritable this morning (let's attribute it to the time change, shall we?) but I have been soooooo much more even-keeled lately. This is especially welcome in my life. We have adopted a blind dog and just discovered it has heartworms. Our kitchen and living room are currently gutted, and we have had about 6 weddings/babies enter our lives. And I've made it through without treating my husband or myself like crap. I sort of feel like the person I'm supposed to be. This is by far the best medication I have taken yet. I hope that it continues to be and that things improve further.

So the Brintellix nausea potentially resolves itself?

I hope so, last night my stomach felt so queasy. Taking it at night just keeps me awake longer resisting the urge to puke... and I'm only on 5mg.

This may be a lousy idea, but I wonder if ginger could potentially ease the nausea, has anyone tried using a ginger supplement 10min before taking their Brintellix? I doubt it would work, but it could be worth a try. So far this is the only chronic issue I have with Brintellix, I hope it will be worth suffering a couple weeks of nausea for the results.

Morning Y'all,

I hope so, last night my stomach felt so queasy. Taking it at night just keeps me awake longer resisting the urge to puke... and I'm only on 5mg.

This may be a lousy idea, but I wonder if ginger could potentially ease the nausea, has anyone tried using a ginger supplement 10min before taking their Brintellix? I doubt it would work, but it could be worth a try. So far this is the only chronic issue I have with Brintellix, I hope it will be worth suffering a couple weeks of nausea for the results.

Couch Hobbit, I used to take ginger supplements a few months ago when I had severe nausea out of the blue. They definitely helped for me, and it was much better than taking Zofran every single day only for it to be hit or miss. I would definitely recommend ginger! I have not tried it with the Brintellix because I cannot afford it at the moment. 

MP, jealous, jealous, jealous! Took my first dose of 20mg Brintellix last night. I was so paranoid that I immediately took Zofran. I didn't get severe nausea (which I am attributing to the Zofran, lol). However, woke up this morning feeling very exhausted and my stomach is pretty upset. 

Morning Y'all,

Couch Hobbit, I used to take ginger supplements a few months ago when I had severe nausea out of the blue. They definitely helped for me, and it was much better than taking Zofran every single day only for it to be hit or miss. I would definitely recommend ginger! I have not tried it with the Brintellix because I cannot afford it at the moment. 

MP, jealous, jealous, jealous! Took my first dose of 20mg Brintellix last night. I was so paranoid that I immediately took Zofran. I didn't get severe nausea (which I am attributing to the Zofran, lol). However, woke up this morning feeling very exhausted and my stomach is pretty upset. 

Sounds like you are getting the stomach upset/nausea too =(

It would be a godsend if a good ginger supplement could kick it. I'm kind of in the same boat as paying for Brintellix is a major pain. They should rename vortioxetine, !!!$$$$$$!!!Brintellix!!!$$$$$$!!!

Have you guys heard of scopoderm/scopolamine? It's normally used for motion sickness, but they're doing a study on it for depression at NIMH now. It is supposed to work fast. Might be a good adjunct for brintellix. It would treat the nausea and have an antidepressant effect.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/2010/rapid-antidepressant-action-of-common-medication-confirmed-by-repeat-trial.shtml

Edited by Blue Toad

Hello,

Just wondering how you are doing, Carly. I had a similar reaction to Fetzima - it was horrible. Will be starting Brintellix 10 mg tomorrow. I am nervous about it after what I went through on the Fetzima but have to try something.

As far as insurance goes, mine will cover it, but I have to pay the highest tier copay on it. I pay less than $10 for most of my meds but this will be $75/month. Well worth it if I can get out of this funk and get out of bed.

Good luck to everyone, I'll be curious to see how it works out.