Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

1438 posts in this topic

Posted

LetMeEatCake, I'm so glad to see you sounding so happy, and enjoying your babies so much! :-).

I had a hard time getting my RX filled. The big chain pharmacy I took it to didn't have it, and said they would order it and it would arrive the next day. Well, it didn't come - their supplier said it was out of stock. She checked with all of their other stores and the only one that had any was 50 miles away and only had 30 of the 10 mgs. I needed 30 of the 20 mgs. She said they could keep trying to order it for me, but in the meantime I had doubled up on my 10 mgs so only had a couple of days' worth left. I called another pharmacy, and they said they had 1 bottle only - 30 of the 20 mgs. Yay! So they were great and called the original pharmacy for me and got it transferred over. I asked the pharmacist if there would be any issues with getting refills and he said it will always be a special order, so to give them about a week's notice. I am not used to this with RXs, and I'm wondering why there is such a supply issue? I think at my next follow up appt If this is still working for me will ask for a 90 day RX and do my insurance plan's mail order pharmacy. Hopefully that will save me some $ too. But if it's so hard to get, I wonder if they will be able to get their hands on 90 pills?

In the meantime, I am now noticing a happier mood, find myself singing along with the radio, running up the stairs at work, playing with my dog, etc. i also think I've seen a slight improvement in my anxiety. But then I don't know if that's due to the brintellix, or the valium, haha! My only complaint now is the ongoing constipation. Still eating more fiber, whole grains, fruits and veggies, and benefiber. But the only result I'm getting from that so far is a bigger tummy!

Posted

I decided to try the Brintellix also and will pick mine up tomorrow. I was surprised that my small, independently-owned pharmacy had it stocked in the right dosage, but I actually had to wait for the Nortriptyline dose I needed. I noticed when I was on Abilify that my pharmacy always seemed to stay just ahead of my order, or would not quite have enough or would have to order it all. I got the feeling it was about their not wanting to stock it unnecessarily, because it's so expensive, so maybe that's part of the issue with Brintellix? But I would think that wouldn't be an issue with the economy of scale of a chain pharmacy, so who knows. Anyway, I don't think I'm making sense, but glad it still seems like it's helping.

Posted

Unstrung Harp, glad to hear there will now be at least 3 of us to compare experiences, and also that we are all starting it around the same time. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Posted (edited)

?

I decided to try the Brintellix also and will pick mine up tomorrow. I was surprised that my small, independently-owned pharmacy had it stocked in the right dosage, but I actually had to wait for the Nortriptyline dose I needed. I noticed when I was on Abilify that my pharmacy always seemed to stay just ahead of my order, or would not quite have enough or would have to order it all. I got the feeling it was about their not wanting to stock it unnecessarily, because it's so expensive, so maybe that's part of the issue with Brintellix? But I would think that wouldn't be an issue with the economy of scale of a chain pharmacy, so who knows. Anyway, I don't think I'm making sense, but glad it still seems like it's helping.

?

Updates?

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit

Posted

I've been on the 20mg for 6 days now, so almost 3 weeks total on Brintellix. My constipation is now gone - yay! So no more GI issues for me. I've noticed I've felt a bit more anxious the last couple of days, and my sleep hasn't been too good. I'm not sure if this is due to the increase of the Brintellix dosage or my continued tapering off of the diazepam. I really don't think the Lunesta is helping my sleep at all. I had built up a big tolerance to Ambien, and I think that has made me tolerant to the Lunesta as well.

I am continuing with the blue light 30-45 min each morning, my exercise (running) has been consistent, and I need to be more consistent with the relaxation/meditation exercises (I've been skipping a day here and there).

So overall, I am going to continue with this regimen and see how things go.

How is everyone else doing?

Posted

I'll be interested in reading your updates as I'm considering Brintellix after so many other failed meds. Good luck 

Posted

I've been on the 20mg for 6 days now, so almost 3 weeks total on Brintellix. My constipation is now gone - yay! So no more GI issues for me. I've noticed I've felt a bit more anxious the last couple of days, and my sleep hasn't been too good. I'm not sure if this is due to the increase of the Brintellix dosage or my continued tapering off of the diazepam. I really don't think the Lunesta is helping my sleep at all. I had built up a big tolerance to Ambien, and I think that has made me tolerant to the Lunesta as well.

I am continuing with the blue light 30-45 min each morning, my exercise (running) has been consistent, and I need to be more consistent with the relaxation/meditation exercises (I've been skipping a day here and there).

So overall, I am going to continue with this regimen and see how things go.

How is everyone else doing?

Awesome, seems like you really got it together.

Also, isn't Ambien the drug that killed Heath Ledger?

Posted

I believe it was ambien plus a mix of other sleeping and/or benzo drugs that did Heath in. I think he was so sleep deprived and nothing was working so he just kept adding to his cocktail. I have been a major insomniac forever, and Ambien was one of the very few drugs that have ever really helped. I'm bummed it stopped working for me.

Posted

?

I decided to try the Brintellix also and will pick mine up tomorrow.

Okay then. So tonight will be my 4th night on Brintellix. My pdoc has started me on a tiny 5mg dose for the first week. I'm also slowly titrating down on the nortriptyline, so far just from 150 to 125 mg, since our experiment going down to 100 a few weeks ago went badly, and I had to return to the 150. I've also been off the lithium for 17 days, and I'm still trying to sort out how I'm feeling with that. My mood was low a week ago, then improved throughout the week, and was actually elevated before I started the Britellix on Friday. I would probably call the mood "ebullient." I'm still in an elevated mood space, but doubt that I can attribute that to the tiny bit of Brintellix I just started. As for side effects, any nausea Brintellix has caused is hard to say since I've been taking it with the nortriptyline, which is pretty hard to choke down and nauseates me unless I take it with food. Only other thing of note is that about mid way through Saturday I started feeling extremely and uncomfortably speedy, to the extent that I almost felt like i was vibrating. I forced myself to take a nap to reset (a contradiction it would seem, but I can almost always sleep), and I slept really deeply for two or three hours, and had a really hard time rousing myself. I was pretty much fine when I finally woke up, though. The whole thing could just be part of my crazy, and have nothing at all to do with the Brintellix, and again, my mood was already on the rise by the time I started the Brintellix.

Posted

Sunday marked 3 weeks on Brintellix for me and things are going well!! I've been at 20 mg for 2 weeks tomorrow I believe. My whole perspective on life has changed in just a few short weeks.

I'm enjoying being around my friends again, and actually looking for ways to fill my day. Less than a month ago I was waking up and forcing myself to do the basics for my kids wishing bedtime would come so I could breathe, sleep and repeat. Not anymore !

I have been wearing sweatpants and tshirts almost everyday. This weekend I've been getting dressed with jewelry, makeup, etc.

I'm talking and laughing, reading, planning parties, baking. I have cooked dinner every night this week! (I haven't cooked in about 8 months at least).

I am in love with this medication and hoping eventually it will be the only one I take!!!

Oh, my anxiety was always super high, I took .5 mg Xanax up to 4 times a day. Now I take one at 8 am as always and 6 pm rolls around and I will just then start to notice a little chest tightness, so I'm down to 2 a day! Amazing!

Posted (edited)

I'm enjoying being around my friends again, and actually looking for ways to fill my day. Less than a month ago I was waking up and forcing myself to do the basics for my kids wishing bedtime would come so I could breathe, sleep and repeat. Not anymore !

I have been wearing sweatpants and tshirts almost everyday. This weekend I've been getting dressed with jewelry, makeup, etc. 

I'm talking and laughing, reading, planning parties, baking. I have cooked dinner every night this week! (I haven't cooked in about 8 months at least). 

This sounds all too familiar. Do you mind telling what other meds you had tried before? I've tried so many but if I see any improvement at all, it's marginal at best.  I'm very happy Brintellix is working for you. It fills me with hope. Keep us posted. Good luck and God bless.

Edited by ihatedrugs

Posted (edited)

Vortioxetine is not a typical SSRI. I've been wondering what effect vortioxetine's around the clock 5-ht7 antagonism has. I find it strange that it is able to function as both a 5-ht1a agonist as well as a 5-ht7 antagonist since 5-ht7 and 5-ht1a receptors are homologous. I like that it has 5-ht1b partial agonism, I wish there were more selective 1b agonists available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortioxetine#Pharmacology

It is not exactly a 5-ht3 receptor antagonist but only at the 5-ht3a subunit.

I'm currently on a 2c antagonist that has a short half life. Vortioxetine is my last ditch option after trying out a few more ideas that I have.

Posted

Does anyone here using Brintellix also smoke or use nicotine products? I am curious as to what effects vortioxetine has on your subjective nicotine experience. Does vortioxetine abolish or reduce nicotine's hedonic effects?

Posted

Ihatedrugs- I can understand, I have been on some form of medication since 2006 and never felt truly stable with the exception of a short period between recovering from postpartum with my daughter and getting pregnant with #2. At that point I was taking Viibryd and topamax, seeing a very good therapist, on a great exercise routine, diet, taking care of myself, socializing properly- all things I think are equally as important as the right medication; however, impossible to put into place unless you feel good enough to get on track.

The following is a list of medications I have taken at least once, maybe twice or more, since 2006. Maybe alone or in combination with another. I. Definitely treatment resistant and have been diagnosed depressed, with anxiety, bipolar, schizoaffective. My most recent diagnosis is just a depression with anxiety.

Adderall, Wellbutrin, Xanax, klonopin, Valium, Ativan, lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, tegretol, topamax, neurontin, gabapentin, lamictal, depakote, lithium, ability, seroquel, geodon, risperdal, invega, atenolol, pristiq, Effexor, Viibryd, lunesta, ambien, symbyax

I hope that's somewhat helpful, that's all I can think of. Brintellix has by far had the most noticeable positive affect and also in the fastest time frame. I hope it doesn't putter out like I've had happen with a lot of Antidepressants.

Posted

Does anyone here using Brintellix also smoke or use nicotine products? I am curious as to what effects vortioxetine has on your subjective nicotine experience. Does vortioxetine abolish or reduce nicotine's hedonic effects?

Not me.

Posted

Casting couch- the pharmacology aspect is a little over my head but I've never been a smoker so I can't help you out there, sorry!

Posted

Casting Couch - non smoker here too.

Posted

K, thanks.

Posted

Whaat?  This is actually an antidepressant I haven't heard of until know.  It sounds promising...please keep us posted.

Posted

Dont feel bad, there are many AD's that practically no one has heard of.

Posted

It only recently got approval and was released in the U.S. WSJ article yesterday said it was now available in U.S. Pharmacies. Hopefully this will make it easier to get RXs filled!

Posted (edited)

Some interesting 5-ht7 related abstracts. Apparently 5-ht7 antagonism combined with 5-ht1a agonism likely plays a major role in Vort's AD efficacy by altering 'emotional memory'.

5-HT1A and 5-HT7 receptor crosstalk in the regulation of emotional memory: implications for effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Eriksson TM, Holst S, Stan TL, Hager T, Sjögren B, Ogren SÖ, Svenningsson P, Stiedl O.
Author information
Abstract

This study utilized pharmacological manipulations to analyze the role of direct and indirect activation of 5-HT(7) receptors (5-HT(7)Rs) in passive avoidance learning by assessing emotional memory in male C57BL/6J mice. Additionally, 5-HT(7)R binding affinity and 5-HT(7)R-mediated protein phosphorylation of downstream signaling targets were determined. Elevation of 5-HT by the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluoxetine had no effect by itself, but facilitated emotional memory performance when combined with the 5-HT(1A)R antagonist NAD-299. This facilitation was blocked by the selective 5-HT(7)R antagonist SB269970, revealing excitatory effects of the SSRI via 5-HT(7)Rs. The enhanced memory retention by NAD-299 was blocked by SB269970, indicating that reduced activation of 5-HT(1A)Rs results in enhanced 5-HT stimulation of 5-HT(7)Rs. The putative 5-HT(7)R agonists LP-44 when administered systemically and AS19 when administered both systemically and into the dorsal hippocampus failed to facilitate memory. This finding is consistent with the low efficacy of LP-44 and AS19 to stimulate protein phosphorylation of 5-HT(7)R-activated signaling cascades. In contrast, increasing doses of the dual 5-HT(1A)R/5-HT(7)R agonist 8-OH-DPAT impaired memory, while co-administration with NAD-299 facilitated of emotional memory in a dose-dependent manner. This facilitation was blocked by SB269970 indicating 5-HT(7)R activation by 8-OH-DPAT. Dorsohippocampal infusion of 8-OH-DPAT impaired passive avoidance retention through hippocampal 5-HT(1A)R activation, while 5-HT(7)Rs appear to facilitate memory processes in a broader cortico-limbic network and not the hippocampus alone.

The effects of combining serotonin reuptake inhibition and 5-HT7 receptor blockade on circadian rhythm regulation in rodents.
Westrich L, Sprouse J, Sánchez C.
Author information
Abstract

Disruption of circadian rhythms may lead to mood disorders. The present study investigated the potential therapeutic utility of combining a 5-HT7 antagonist with a selective serotonin (5-HT) reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), the standard of care in depression, on circadian rhythm regulation. In tissue explants of the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) from PER2::LUC mice genetically modified to report changes in the expression of a key clock protein, the period length of PER2 bioluminescence was shortened in the presence of AS19, a 5-HT7 partial agonist. This reduction was blocked by SB269970, a selective 5-HT7 antagonist. The SSRI, escitalopram, had no effect alone on period length, but a combination with SB269970, yielded significant increases. Dosed in vivo, escitalopram had little impact on the occurrence of activity onsets in rats given access to running wheels, whether the drug was given acutely or sub-chronically. However, preceding the escitalopram treatment with a single acute dose of SB269970 produced robust phase delays, in keeping with the in vitro explant data. Taken together, these findings suggest that the combination of an SSRI and a 5-HT7 receptor antagonist has a greater impact on circadian rhythms than that observed with either agent alone, and that such a multimodal approach may be of therapeutic value in treating patients with poor clock function.
~                                                                        ~                                                                                                                                     ~                                                                                   
~                                                                        ~                                                                                                                                     ~                                                                                    
5-HT7 receptor inhibition and inactivation induce antidepressantlike behavior and sleep pattern.
Hedlund PB, Huitron-Resendiz S, Henriksen SJ, Sutcliffe JG.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

The 5-hydroxytryptamine7 receptor (5-HT7) is implicated in circadian rhythm phase resetting, and 5-HT7 receptor-selective antagonists alter rapid eye movement (REM) sleep parameters in a pattern opposite from those in patients with clinical depression.
METHODS:

As sleep, circadian rhythm, and mood regulation are related, we examined 5-HT7 receptor knockout mice in two behavioral models of depression. The forced swim and tail suspension tests are highly predictive for antidepressant drug activity.
RESULTS:

Unmedicated 5-HT7-/- mice showed decreased immobility in both tests, consistent with an antidepressantlike behavior. The selective 5-HT7 receptor antagonist SB-269970 also decreased immobility. The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor citalopram, a widely used antidepressant, decreased immobility in both 5-HT7+/+ and 5-HT7-/- mice in the tail suspension test, suggesting that it utilizes an independent mechanism. The 5-HT7-/- mice spent less time in and had less frequent episodes of REM sleep, also consistent with an antidepressantlike state.
CONCLUSIONS:

The 5-HT7 receptor might have a role in mood disorders and antagonists might have therapeutic value as antidepressants.

5-ht7 antagonism may play a role in reducing intestinal inflammation, as may also 5-ht3 antagonism.

5-ht7 antagonism seems more likely to 'help' rather than 'harm' circadian rhythms. I suppose this is a good thing.

Posted

That's interesting. I have a lot of problems with emotional memory. My mind can move on to other things, but a bad emotion tends to persist. 

Posted

Shift from negative thinking patterns to more positive. Positive/negative affect and the things people dwell on have a physiological basis as well as environmental. Who knows? I dont want to.

Posted

Ihatedrugs- I can understand, I have been on some form of medication since 2006 and never felt truly stable with the exception of a short period between recovering from postpartum with my daughter and getting pregnant with #2. At that point I was taking Viibryd and topamax, seeing a very good therapist, on a great exercise routine, diet, taking care of myself, socializing properly- all things I think are equally as important as the right medication; however, impossible to put into place unless you feel good enough to get on track.

The following is a list of medications I have taken at least once, maybe twice or more, since 2006. Maybe alone or in combination with another. I. Definitely treatment resistant and have been diagnosed depressed, with anxiety, bipolar, schizoaffective. My most recent diagnosis is just a depression with anxiety.

Adderall, Wellbutrin, Xanax, klonopin, Valium, Ativan, lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, tegretol, topamax, neurontin, gabapentin, lamictal, depakote, lithium, ability, seroquel, geodon, risperdal, invega, atenolol, pristiq, Effexor, Viibryd, lunesta, ambien, symbyax

I hope that's somewhat helpful, that's all I can think of. Brintellix has by far had the most noticeable positive affect and also in the fastest time frame. I hope it doesn't putter out like I've had happen with a lot of Antidepressants.

Thanks LetMeEatCake. I've tried most of the meds you listed and a few more. I went to the doctor and she is not too familiarized with Brintellix and put me on a new one called Fetzima which is very similar to Savella. I didn't do well while on Savella; it made me angry and too edgy. But my energy levels have since then plummeted and perhaps something activating is what I need. My worry is that it may worsen my insomnia. But you can't ever tell how these meds will perform unless you try them. So i figured I would try this until the doctor gets up to speed with Brintellix. I hope you are still doing well on Brintellix. I will keep you posted on how Fetzima pans out.