LetMeEatCake!

Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

1561 posts in this topic

I am new here but have been a lurker for several years. I was just describe this new antidepressant today also.

20mg isnt giving any side effects other than increased gas. I don't know if it is doing anything for me yet.

I am adding 50mg zinc taken at the same time as vortioxetine, tolerable upper intake for zinc is about 40mg/day. Starting today. I am impatient.

Edited by Casting Couch Hobbit

I have bipolar disorder I and have to take a hefty dose of Lithium to prevent the onset of Mania. Before the introduction of Lithium, all antidepressants eventually threw me into a manic state. The worst offender was Parnate, an MAOI inhibitor. Parnate worked well, but I'm sensitive to Tyramine-containing foods, all of which cause very scary hypertensive crises. After three of them, I decided that the antidepressant benefit wasn't worth the ER visits.  

As others on the board have mentioned, Zoloft poops out on me. This is why I started Brintellix around four weeks ago. Thus far, I have mild depression from time to time, but it never lasts very long. I also have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Brintellix, thus far, has not been as effective there. I'm going to try another month on 20 mg, then meet with the psychiatrist and see where it goes from there. The only issue I had with Brintellix was the initial adjustment period. It has not been as powerful as I had anticipated. 

I am so thrilled that I found this board and this topic!! I am currently taking Pristiq and am wanting to get off of that due to the excessive sweating. I can't take that anymore and just feel so gross! Yuck! So after talking to my psychiatrist, we have decided to try Brintellix. I am currently taking 100mg of Pristiq, will cut down to 50 mg for a week and 50 mg every other day for a week. Once that is done I will start the Brintellix. While reading this thread it seems there has been more success with this drug than fails. I usually have no trouble starting a new med so I am hoping the same with this one. Looking forward to more discussion on this topic!!

I do have one question right now, what is this talk about zinc? What dies it affect and how does it work?

I am so thrilled that I found this board and this topic!! I am currently taking Pristiq and am wanting to get off of that due to the excessive sweating. I can't take that anymore and just feel so gross! Yuck! So after talking to my psychiatrist, we have decided to try Brintellix. I am currently taking 100mg of Pristiq, will cut down to 50 mg for a week and 50 mg every other day for a week. Once that is done I will start the Brintellix. While reading this thread it seems there has been more success with this drug than fails. I usually have no trouble starting a new med so I am hoping the same with this one. Looking forward to more discussion on this topic!!

I do have one question right now, what is this talk about zinc? What dies it affect and how does it work?

It is speculative based on a few studies found in Pubmed where zinc was used to augment SSRIs, somewhat like lithium, thyroid hormone and bupropion. Sort of like how the STAR*D that got us stuck with nothing but SSRIs in the pipeline. Not to bash SSRIs.

Cant say if it works but probably have to give a few weeks. I really wouldn't bother w/it unless your psych recommends. I've pretty much taken my own treatment into my own hands since I started getting more success on my own than under a shrinks thumb. This approach isnt recommended.

Thank you for your reply Hobbit! 

It is speculative based on a few studies found in Pubmed where zinc was used to augment SSRIs, somewhat like lithium, thyroid hormone and bupropion. Sort of like how the STAR*D that got us stuck with nothing but SSRIs in the pipeline. Not to bash SSRIs.

Cant say if it works but probably have to give a few weeks. I really wouldn't bother w/it unless your psych recommends. I've pretty much taken my own treatment into my own hands since I started getting more success on my own than under a shrinks thumb. This approach isnt recommended.

brintellix has been for me perhaps the most side-effect free medication I've tried (minus the adjustment periods).

It is second/third only to agomelatine and nicotine... which are my primary antidepressants since 2008. Before then I would get morbidly acute bouts of depression.

Perhaps this is why it is harder for me to notice Brintellix's benefits since I am already essentially on at least 1 AD. In my book nicotine also counts too but psychiatry (minus a handful of studies) disagrees.

I am waking up a bit more forcefully in the morning, kind of like more energy forcing me out of bed. Brintellix is the opposite of anticholinergic compared to older drugs. It definitely has some mild pro-cognitive effects, although this sort of thing doesn't always benefit depression.

As is I am pretty happy with Brintellix, I do hope the benefit of being on it increases over time. I find I am less aggressive towards psychiatrists, and those that dislike midgets and furry creatures.

I think the key to getting anything positive from Brintellix is excessive patience, which I got little of.

1 person likes this

My psychiatrist doesn't want to prescribe Brintellix beyond 20 mg per day, though I've read about patients who take upwards of 75 mg. The manufacturers don't want to go beyond 20 mg. Thus far, this drug has been a little underwhelming for me. I have periods of mild depression and constant free-floating anxiety. Clomipramine is the next step for me. It's one of the most powerful antidepressant around and has been around forever. It's an old-school tricyclic antidepressant.

Speaking of side effects, Brintellix reminds me in some ways of SSNRIs like Effexor and Cymbalta, especially because both of them cause jitters and nausea. My fear is that it's simply not strong enough for people with severe depression and/or an anxiety disorder like me.  

Please note that everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, responds to medications and combinations of medication in very different ways. If what I've shared helps you, I'm glad. If it doesn't speak to your symptoms and diagnosis, feel free to ignore it.

Edited by cabaretic

I noticed that too how everyone responds differently to the same AD.. I noticed that when agomelatine first came out. For about 10% of the people agomelatine was completely awesome, then for about half it didn't do quite enough, then for the remainder it either didn't help or made them worse. Ago is great for ppl with messed up circadian rhythms. I wouldnt trade it for any drug currently in existence.

On and off Zofran still with returning bouts of nausea.. seem to be having weird bouts of vertigo, too but cannot say if they are related to Brintellix.. 

I get the nausea only when I take Brintellix at the same time as agomelatine. I don't think it combines well with other drugs at the same time in the stomach. Taking it with fiber/meals seems to help GI nausea. Na Butyrate  helps too (I think.

I'll fill in my own medication cocktail.

**Dx: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder**

**Current Rx: 20mg Brintellix, 1 mg Klonopin, 2100 mg Lithium, 1200 mg Seroquel**

**Past Rx: Wellbutrin, Effexor XR, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Celexa, Lexapro, Abilify, Geogon, Lamictal, Restoril, Ambien CR, Lunesta, Xanax, Ativan, Adderall, Parnate, Buspar, Tegretol, Neurontin, Depakote, Trazedone, Elavil, Remeron, *Anafranil, risperdal, Zyprexa*

I'm feeling jittery and nauseated, which reminds me of Effexor and Cymbalta. 

I took my third pill,10mg, at bedtime and it definitely helped with nausea. But I have a question for the experienced SSRI users - can I not take Advil with this medicine? I have taken at least 2 a day for years due to a back injury, but the Brintellix insert says NSAIDS greatly increase the potential for GI bleeding etc. Hmmm, this is not good news! Would taking Prevacid or other PPI help with that? Thanks for any info.    

I took my third pill,10mg, at bedtime and it definitely helped with nausea. But I have a question for the experienced SSRI users - can I not take Advil with this medicine? I have taken at least 2 a day for years due to a back injury, but the Brintellix insert says NSAIDS greatly increase the potential for GI bleeding etc. Hmmm, this is not good news! Would taking Prevacid or other PPI help with that? Thanks for any info.    

Guinea pig mode! :D

Prevacid or something might lower the chances but I wouldn't take it just for that. You start taking ppi's and you might not be able to get off so easy. I've been taking prilosec for years and every time I've tried to stop the rebound acid is so bad I end up going back on it. It's a real phenomenon called acid rebound hyper secretion. If you've been NSAIDs for years and haven't had any bleeding yet I'd say you'll probably be ok. Just make sure you take any NSAID with meals which I'm guessing you do. Never take them on an empty stomach.

Oops, I usually take the Advil when I get up or shortly afterwards. I will make sure to take with food especially now, thanks. 

Hobbit, guinea pigs, eh! :o

Aaand here comes the Cymbalta withdrawals. At least I hope that's what it is!  :huh: Yesterday morning I noticed a weird reaction to just a little amount of caffeine. Then I had the chills most of the morning & a raging headache that 4 Aleve's didn't cure. Went to work, zombie-moded it to my lunch break where I just broke down crying. Tried to go back to work after my break and just went hysterical. I ended up in my manager's office hysterical & shaking & all that other fun stuff while she called my mom to come pick me up b/c she didn't want me driving. 

So I have no idea if the Brintellix is working or not. It's only been like, 4ish days? This just sucks. I'm going to try to stick it out though. Without getting locked up in the nuthouse again. heh. Klonopin is definitely helping me though. 

:violin:

Oops, I usually take the Advil when I get up or shortly afterwards. I will make sure to take with food especially now, thanks. 

Hobbit, guinea pigs, eh! :o

I got some horrid but funny guinea pig stories myself. I've learned the hard way it usually better to be on the safe side when entering guinea pig mode .

Prevacid or something might lower the chances but I wouldn't take it just for that. You start taking ppi's and you might not be able to get off so easy. I've been taking prilosec for years and every time I've tried to stop the rebound acid is so bad I end up going back on it. It's a real phenomenon called acid rebound hyper secretion. If you've been NSAIDs for years and haven't had any bleeding yet I'd say you'll probably be ok. Just make sure you take any NSAID with meals which I'm guessing you do. Never take them on an empty stomach.

elevate the head of your bed 8 inches, it is cheaper than the extra meds and about as effective. For daytime GERD it helps to figure out what foods bother you and avoid them.

So when did your life start sucking and you realized you had an actual problem that turned out to be depression, plague or whatever.

"Why don't u decide to not be depressed?"

lol. I'm sure most have heard that one before.

y? Bc a miserable hobbit stole my precious and unicorns dont fucking exist. lol

I'm so glad I found this forum. I was put on Fetzima and after two weeks I gave up on it because it made me feel worse. My doc then put me on Brintellix and Abilify. It has only been 3 days but I'm hopeful. The only side effect has been nausea. Hopefully that will fade.

It may be only all in my head but I think the zinc +Brintellix combines well. I'm not sure what's happening inside my thick skull or if there is still a brain in there.

Zinc ....for nausea or a booster? Oh, one other side effect, I'm ravenous.

Tomorrow i will have been on Brintellix for 14 weeks. I am still ravenous. I don't seem to get full unless I eat a lot, and I am super hungry, especially in the mornings. I eat about 3 times before lunch, then lunch, then about 3 snacks, then dinner. After dinner, my appetite slows down. I also don't wake up hungry, but it starts after i've had my first breakfast. This drug is supposed to be weight neutral according to the trials. I really haven't gained any weight except the 2-3 lbs I lost from anxiety right before I started on the Brintellix. I wonder why this is making so many of us so hungry? As I've mentioned previously, I have been more active, but the increase in my appetite just seems larger than my increase in activity. Could it be increasing our metabolisms, and that is why we are more hungry?