Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

1435 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if people have noticed any weight gain on Brintellix. I've gained massive amounts of weight, even on so-called "weight-neutral" drugs. I think I'm one of those that's always in that 1% group that gains.

I'm glad to hear it's been helpful to people. I'm really...tired of meds.

Posted

I noticed immediately dry mouth and a sort of metallic taste similar to what I had with Wellbutrin. My Dr prescribed this over the phone (well gave samples for my husband to pick up) as she was closing early due to a snow storm. So she just gave me a brief blurb about no weight gain, no sexual dysfunction, etc.  She started me at 10mg, but it comes in 5mg which surprises me she didn't start me at the lowest dose. Thank goodness my office is next to a Culligan Machine, UGH.

Posted

Hi Momofone,

My doc started me on 10 mg too, and i went up to 20 mg in 2 weeks. He also gave me samples for the 10 mg. maybe they don't get samples for the 5 mg? I have not noticed any metallic taste or dry mouth, but have had constipation, so be sure to eat lots of fruits and veggies so that doesn't happen to you. I don't think I've had any weight gain - I'll get on the scale tomorrow to make sure. This drug was really easy to start on compared to any other ADs I have tried, so hopefully you will do well on it. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Posted

Hi all!  I have been on Brintellix for a week now and things are going pretty well.  I haven't had a crying jag in about a week's time, I feel hopeful,, less edgy, and the little things (like taking the dog out) are getting easier.  Have even been making it to the gym.  I dont have as much energy as I did on the Fetzima but it made me feel so terrible I would gladly trade it for feeling more like myself.  

Hope everyone is having a good week! :)

Carly, that is awesome! When I went off Lexapro in August, I was crying all the time! I've been on Brintellix 5 weeks now and haven't cried at all. Of course, the Lexapro made me not cry for like 2 years either, so not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing! Glad to hear you've been making it to the gym. My running has been great on the Brintellix too. It's like I "want" to do it, instead of making myself do it.

Posted

Very interested how this works out for you guys. i'm thinking about Brintellix for myself, maybe.

Posted

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if people have noticed any weight gain on Brintellix. I've gained massive amounts of weight, even on so-called "weight-neutral" drugs. I think I'm one of those that's always in that 1% group that gains.

I checked this morning and no weight gain for me after 5 weeks on Brintellix.  :)

Posted

I checked this morning and no weight gain for me after 5 weeks on Brintellix. :)

Thanks for the info. Have you had any weight gain issues in the past?

Posted

I checked this morning and no weight gain for me after 5 weeks on Brintellix. :)

Thanks for the info. Have you had any weight gain issues in the past?

No. I lost weight on Wellbutrin, but haven't gained weight on any others. I am pretty active though, and try to eat healthy as much as I can.

Posted

Hi, new here. I've been treated for severe depression/anxiety and some hypo mania for 9 years now. I've been in my longest downward spiral since having my second child- almost been a year. Nothing is working. I started Brintellix today, been searching google like crazy and can't find any one else who is taking this. Am I the only one? If you have taken it, how did you like it? Switching from Effexor... I'm down from 300 mg to 150.

After 13 and a half years on Effexor XR it is not working for me anymore. I have gone through menopause in that time so that may have changed my chemistry.  I read that you should not take it with another antidepressant in the SSRI class.  I am on 150 mg now but my doctor wants to gradually reduce the dose and completely take me off the Effexor before starting Brintellix.  So now I am confused and unsure.   I have tried to get off Effexor about a year ago and felt like I was going to end up in the looney bin.

I am wondering if I should ask my doc about this?  Oh heck, I will ask her.  :huh:

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply, Katygirl.

It sounds so superficial, but I'm so tired of the yoyo. Gain the weught, lose it, change drugs, gain it back. I don't want to try a drug anymore if I know it's going to cause weight gain.

I've gained weight on everything except for Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. I'm back on the former currently, but it isn't doing anything and my depression is pretty bad right now. I think I lost weight on Cymbalta because I was vomiting on an almost-daily basis.

Pristiq and Viibyrd were the worst for me. Effexor sucked as well. Celexa too. And Prozac. And...well, you get the idea. I went from 126 to 165 in about 4 months on Pristiq. Nothing in my eating or activity patterns had changed. I tried exercising more but the weight wouldn't budge. (I've also had 5 knee surgeries in 9 years. High school injury. Strenuous exercise is difficult due to the pain. I did walk a lot though.) I graduated from college at that point and started working a job with killer hours, often 17hr/day, 7 days a week. I changed drugs and did Medifast and went down to 146 before I had to stop MF due to hair loss and other issues. My weight stayed the same for 4 months.

Then I was put on Viibryd. My weight shot up to 175. I steadily gained about 10 pounds each month. I've always had pretty solid self-control when it came to my diet. But it was the first time I CRAVED sweets with such intensity. This was the first time I felt a change in my diet, because if I wanted a cupcake, I was getting a damn cupcake.

I've had a stomach illness for about a year now. After I stopped Viibyrd I started to lose weight. I weighed myself this morning and clocked in at 138. I've lost just shy of 40 pounds in a year. I should be happy, but with the pain I don't really care at this point. I can barely eat anything and have no appetite. And I can't eat anything without experiencing pain or nausea. Now I feel guilty because I have expensive new clothes from when I was bigger and I can't fit into any of them.

My depression has gotten to the point where I'm considering trying Brintellix because I feel like garbage. I can't stop crying. I have a lot of stress right now (the latest thing being my parents trying to set up an arranged marriage) and I just cannot handle this. I just can't.

Oh jeez that was long. Sorry for the novel.

Edited by hexadecimal

Posted

Hi all - I'm new this site and today started taking Brintellix. For me it's to help with GAD. I've been on all different SRI drugs but my stomach hasn't been able to tolerate them. The latest I'm getting off of is Escitalopram. Though Brintellix does have impact on SRI as well, my doctor thought that since it has multiple avenues of affect maybe it won't be so hard on my system. But, I took 10 mg this morning and already I have some stomach upset and gas (sorry don't mean to be gross). I'm hoping this goes away. Has anyone who's taking this drug seen the stomach issues go away? I'm really starting to lose hope that I can take anything as I seem to be chaging drugs left and right as I can't tolerate anything. :(

Posted

Anyone experiencing any sexual side effects? I am starting to experience some similar to what I experienced on the SSRIs. My doctor seemed surprised. I read something that said initially they thought 35% of people experienced sexual side effects, but now they think it's more like 50%.

Curious where you read that, as everything I've read and heard suggests significantly lower percentages of sexual side effects relative to placebo, and I recall my pdoc noting the same, particularly at the lower doses (I'm not seeing your dose here). Am I misreading? Either way, not something I'm noticing in particular.

I took 10 mg for 2 weeks, and have been on 20 mg for about 2.5 weeks.

I'm unable to post a link, but if you go to voices.yahoo.com, the post is called "Vortioxetine (Brintellix) for Depression: Pros and Cons", by Clara Auty, MD. I am not vouching for reliability of the sources here, just noting that I saw it.

I wrote a response to this the other day but my computer ate it  :wall:  , but I did want to respond to this. The author you cited wrote,"The package insert reports a rate of sexual dysfunction of around 34% or less for males and females taking various doses. However, another study with more participants reported higher rates of dysfunction (up to 51%) with fairly low doses with fairly similar rates of dysfunction compared to duloxetine." What the author doesn't mention that you can note if you go to the study abstract she links to is that 33.3% of patients who received the placebo complained of sexual side effects. And sexual dysfunction is also pretty common just in depression alone. Meaning that when you take that into account the incidences of sexual side effects that can be attributed to the Brintellix (at 2.5 mg) are much fewer (more like 17.7% if I'm calculating correctly). Here's what the study abstract says -- "Rates of sexual dysfunction (ASEX) were 51.0%, 37.5%, 46.9%, and 33.3% in the vortioxetine 2.5 mg, vortioxetine 5 mg, duloxetine, and placebo groups, respectively." That also means that according to the study only something like 4.2% of the sexual side effects reported by people who got the 5mg of Brintellix can be attributed to the drug when placebo is accounted for. Which is also weird considering that side effects tend to be dose related, so the substantially higher percentage for the lower dose makes me curious if something else is amiss in the study, but I don't know the answer to that.

And we get a little information here too, if the study is to be trusted, about how Brintellix stacks up against 60mg of Cymbalta (duloxetine), with there being a very small difference in sexual side effects between Cymbalta and 2.5 mg Brintellix, and the incidences of sexual side effects with the 5 mg Brintellix (37.5%) are actually significantly better than with the Cymbalta (46.9%).

If you are anything like me your eyes just glazed over while readiing that, and I wouldn't put 100% stock in my mathematical conclusions (though I did sanity check this with my husband, a.k.a. "pharma guy"). But my points are threefold. First, based on this study alone, I think the likely actual incidences of sexual side effects are much, much lower than the 35% and 50% suggested in the article. This is probably why your pdoc seemed surprised. Second, just because the reported instances are relatively low doesn't mean you are not experiencing sexual side effects, because clearly some people have reported them. And as my pdoc once said, "anything can do anything." You are still relatively new to Brintellix, though, so with any luck any sexual side effects you are experiencing will diminish with time. Sexual side effects are a total drag, for sure. 

Finally, and I'll try to say this in the nicest way possible, so I'll put a little smiley here so you know I come in peace :) , I'd be very careful about citing vague statistics from unevaluated sources here. You're not doing yourself any favors by assuming that just because somebody has an MD behind her name that she has fully and accurately explained things, and you're doing a disservice to the people who find their way here via google med searches who see something like "51% of people on this drug may experience sexual side effects" (I'm paraphrasing here, not quoting you). Those people might decide to try a different drug based on that information (yes, they too should be evaluating the sources, but still). And generally, because people on CB take this stuff very seriously, someone will come along and demand for you to show a peer-reviewed scientific article to substantiate a claim or speculation, and sometimes those people will be less diplomatic than I have tried to be here. Certainly if I've screwed up on the interpretation here, someone is likely to come along and correct me. Anyway, I'm not trying to chastise you, but didn't want to leave the percentage unquestioned. I hope what I've said makes sense, that the Brintellix continues to be a good drug for you, and that whatever side effects you have will improve.

Posted

Unstrung Harp, thanks for the interpretation of the article, and the additional words of wisdom.  No offense taken, and I understand completely what you are saying about other people  basing decisions off of that.  :)   I am still happy with Brintellix, and this week I am finally sleeping better and feeling a reduction in my GAD.  The drug did have a quicker effect on my depression.  I am hopeful that the sexual side effects will pass quickly.  :)

CTE 1866 - Did you take the Brintellix with a lot of food?  I know the instructions say you can take it with or without food, but my pdoc advised me to take it with my largest meal in order to reduce/avoid stomach issues.  I did do this, and after a few weeks was able to start taking it in the morning instead, as stomach issues do subside with time for most people.  I still eat a decent sized breakfast though, and would not take this on an empty stomach.  I have had a few bouts with constipation, which is another side effect, so I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies and cereal with fiber, which seem to be helping, although yes, it does increase gas.  I was thinking of maybe taking a probiotic again that I had taken in the past, Align, but I will give this a little more time before I add anything else to my regimen.

Posted

Thanks for the info Katygirl. I did eat breakfast with the pill but it must not have been enough food. I guess it will be an excuse to eat more! LOL

Yes, I've been reading about the constipation issues a few people have reported. Good to know. 

At any rate, I'll be posting my journey with this new drug and hope it helps others as well to see how it works (if at all). My doc was really excited about it so I hope it will help me. 

Posted

Are you guys finding insurance will pay for Brintellix?

Posted

Are you guys finding insurance will pay for Brintellix?

Codeman -- mine does, though I have a $50 copay as opposed to something like a $30 copay for brand specific drugs. And some of that may be that my copay went up this year and i wasn't paying attention, since this is the first brand drug I've filled in a long while.

Posted

It's been 3 nights now of taking the full 20mg of Brintellix. My mood and anxiety for the past few days has been a bit spotty, but I also just titrated down further on my nortriptyline to only 25mg, and I suspect that is causing some of the bumpiness. Also juggling many things I have to get done, and am stressed about that. More GI effects this past week --- transient nausea at random times, some constipation/IBS symptoms (I'm trying to manage that with diet). My overall impression is that I have more energy, survive on less sleep, have less daytime sleepiness and more mental clarity on the Brintellx relative to the nortriptyline (though the nortiptyline definitely affected my mental clarity, so I can't assume it's all the Brintellix).

Posted

I've taken 10mg for Brintellix for 3 days now and don't feel much of a difference. I had to take a half a pill of Clonazepam today as my anxiety levels are up due to a project I'm working on. I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll start to feel something. I'm having a bit of stomach upset but trying to see if it goes away after awhile. No constipation to report.  

Posted

I've taken 10mg for Brintellix for 3 days now and don't feel much of a difference. I had to take a half a pill of Clonazepam today as my anxiety levels are up due to a project I'm working on. I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll start to feel something. I'm having a bit of stomach upset but trying to see if it goes away after awhile. No constipation to report.  

I would give it a while before you'd expect to feel a difference.

Posted

CTE,

I agree with Unstrung Harp - it will probably take longer than a few days to notice a difference.  For me, I saw a reduction in depression within 2 weeks, but that wasn't my major complaint.  Like you, I have GAD, and my pdoc told me it generally takes longer to see improvement in anxiety.  I saw a slight improvement at 4 weeks (I had increased to 20 mg at 2 weeks), and last week, which was 5 weeks, I finally started seeing a more noticeable improvement.  But again, I'm still tapering off of benzos with valium, so I experience a few days of increased edginess whenever I cut the dose.

Posted

Hello All. Thought I'd share my results with Brintellix so far.  I've been on many medications over the last 25 years.  So far on 10 mg of Brintellix for 12 days I've had no gastro issues and I can happily report no sexual disfunction.  In the past I had no gastro issues on any ssri so I'm sure I'm just lucky in that aspect.  I was expecting to have sexual disfunction due to the ssri component of the med but none as of yet.  My mind is less foggy and calmer but as of yet no increase in motivation.  So it's working somewhat.  I'll update with progress or the lack of as much as possible.  

Posted (edited)

I just started at 5mg six days ago. Almost immediate huge improvement of depression. No major nausea. I had horrible nausea on Pristiq. I really felt good quickly on Viibryd but couldn't sleep. I have been sleeping decent on Brintellix. No sexual side effects. My panic and anxiety were much improved before I started but my eternal tormented mind was off the charts. Those feelings are gone now. I went through episodes of depersonalization and there is a little bit of that and comparing myself to others, especially self made, talented, educated, disciplined people. I'm so hoping this med helps with ADD as I am off the charts. I've never been a very happy person so even though I'm feeling better I still have a lot of work to do with my personality. I hope happiness is not elusive and I can put forth an effort. I have other challenges in life I'm working through that have proven to be very serious to my mental health. I hope I can change and find happiness. The Brintellix is a step in the right direction so far. I wish I didn't need meds but each time I stopped a med I would go right back into a depressed state. I have tried Celexa, Paxil, Viibryd, Pristiq, Xanax as needed, sleep aids like Halcion and even Benadryl.

If anyone has pointers on developing a happy, positive, energetic personality, I'm all ears.

I forgot, the last med I was on was Lexapro and I couldn't take the foggy brain, inability to function, trance like effect it had on me.

Edited by evolvingmind

Posted

Wow I am so thrilled to hear of so much success on Brintellix!!! So I have been on Brintellix now for 6 weeks and 3 days- 20 mg for 5 weeks and 3 days. For the most part I am doing really well! Especially considering where I started!

Mommy Sue- oh I know how hard it is coming off the Effexor! I was at 300 mg if you've been following this. I started the Brintellix when I got down to 150 mg. I don't think I would have survived coming off the Effexor anymore without Brintellix! I am now taking 37.5 every other day. Then will drop to every 3 days. Then hopefully off soon! Right now when it gets close to 48 hours without it I can feel extreme panic/irritation and anger coming on.

After I've finished my taper off Effexor I will begin the seroquel taper. I've experienced weight gain but I'm almost positive it's from the seroquel and not the Brintellix. At night after I take the seroquel I get all dazed and start craving those sweets! So I'm definitely looking forward to being off of it!

This is by far the best medication I have been on! Constipation is really the only side effect I experience besides some minor nausea in the morning if I don't eat enough with it. It also gives me a lot of hope for what is to come in the future!

Am I becoming one of those annoyingly happy people that uses the exclamation point entirely too often?!

Posted

I've reached my 6-week mark on Brintellix - 2 weeks at 10 mg and 4 weeks at 20 mg. I am thrilled to report that I have finally noticed a remarkable decrease in my anxiety, and I suppose my depression too, even though I didn't think I was depressed! I started feeling a noticeable difference in anxiety at 5 weeks, but this past week it has become even more apparent. I'm feeling more social, doing more things with friends, feeling less stressed at work, and enjoying my time with my husband a lot more. Previously I was just going through the motions, and trying to be alone as much as I could so I could de-stress.

I am also at 5 mg of valium, down from 12 mg, and am taking about 7.5 mg of elavil for sleep. I plan to continue to decrease the valium, and am hoping the elavil will only be need for a short term as well.

Posted

Been a little over four weeks on Brintellix and two on the full 20mg dose. My anxiety in general is way better, with some periods of breakthrough anxiety, but not as bad as previously. In general, I am needing less sleep and have a bit more energy. I have also been able to write more. I've had a few instances of feeling like I was talking a lot and quickly, like in a speedy kind of way, but I haven't made up my mind about whether I'm imagining that, or if it's a cyclical thing for me, or a mood lift. Nobody's said anything to me about it. Anyway, overall it's positive. Still working out the relatively tolerable GI effects.