CrazyBoards.org

The only side effect that I noticed was the extreme fatigue .... I would take it and then within 2 hours couldnt keep my eyes open. This has gotten alot better after being on the medication for a little bit of time.

I was,on 80mg for quite a while. I don't have a bad experience I would say. I had zero side effects, no sleepiness, nothing at all. It just plain old didn't control my psychosis. So I was taken off of it. Too bad. I had such high hopes for this med.

I've taken it for over 2 years now and I LOVE it! At first, it made me fall asleep as soon as I took it, so I had to take it at bedtime. Now, it takes a couple of hours, so I take it with dinner. The first month I took it, I did have a stiff neck after taking it, but it went away after a month. It does cause me SEVERE heartburn, but prilosec takes care of that, so I'm fine with it.

Best psychotropic I've ever taken. I decided to changeover from Abilify (aripiprazole) to lurasidone because of reciprocative weight gain (lurasidone, for me, has been weight neutral; however, we did augment Topamax [topiramate] 100mg. when it was prescribed) and pharmacological reasons (5HT-7 action of lurasidone improves cognition) My bipolar depression is in complete remission after taking this medicine. 

Side Effects (very mild):

Nausea (gone for the most part)

Heartburn (protein pump inhibitor will work)

Early Awakening (can go back to sleep)

No fatigue noted. I take it at bedtime with food.

I took it with Abilify for approximately a week before discontinuation of it. One important note: I did experience a period of anxiety for two weeks: I believe it was withdrawal from aripiprazole. I thought I wouldn't have to taper since I was I was replace it with another AAP. Wrong. The discontinuation syndrome of Abilify lasted two weeks. But, it could have been the Latuda that caused this period of anxiety, I'm not sure.

The 40mg. dose of lurasidone was equivalent to the Abilify after two weeks. I switched to 80mg. to see if I could get better results. Absolutely changed my outlook on life. I no longer get "negative thought patterns". My parents and PDOC both said that I'm like a completely new person since being on the Latuda. I don't want to lay in bed all day, I want to live life now; it is definitely due to lurasidone. I want to take the lowest dose I can for tolerance and weight gain so I went for 60mg. which is equipotent to the 80mg. dose for me. I am on a maintenance dose of 60mg. now.

Latuda is amazing for me, but your mileage may vary. 

I too take 60mg and I am obsessed with this med. Latuda is the best thing that has ever happened for my life. I have managed to wean myself off social security, get a job, and have greatly reduced symptoms. My GAF score is probably a solid 40 points higher than it was. It is my miracle med.

The only side effect I get is that if I eat it with too little food or the wrong kind of food (generally it needs protein) it gives me some wicked nausea. But then I fall asleep, so it's a relatively short window of discomfort...and I just increased my dose a month or so ago, so I'm thinking the nausea will probably be a distant memory in a few months.

I have more energy, I'm less trapped in negative thought patterns, and I feel cognitively sharper. 

I'm interested to hear if anyone switched to Latuda from Geodon, and how they might compare. Geodon isn't really working for me, but my pdoc was hesitant to switch to Latuda. He preferred I try a higher dose of Geodon instead.

The only side affect I get from Latuda is some sedation early the next morning (I take it at bedtime).

Mister:

I switched from Geodon to Latuda and had much less side affects. I felt "drugged" on the equivalent dose of Geodon (120mg) and slept 13hrs a day..

Edited by dnautics

I was fine on 20 mgs, bumped up to 40 by my NP and akathisia started kicking my ass! It makes me feel so awful and I can't stop moving! I was put on Propranolol to help get rid of it and it was just adjusted to a higher dose today. I have lost 16 pounds so far on Latuda, so I am not ready to give it up yet!

DX - Bipolar, anxiety, PTSD

RX - Latuda 40 mgs, Paxil 10 mgs, Buspar 5 mgs, Propranolol 20 mgs

Edited by kittnclaw

It made me feel really paranoid for some reason. I have no idea why. And nauseous but I don't know if that was because it made my blood sugar go high. The akathisia was pretty bad too. However, I won't say "don't take this med" because it's supposed to have the best side effect profile.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Joey77
      I was taking latuda 80mg and it worked well with the depression and worthless feelings also got rid of the rapid mind cycling and music playing but wow did it make me angry. Is there any other option that doesn’t make you so angry for Bipolar 1 as Seroquel XR is not working well as an alternative.
    • By Candy6544
      So I just started Latuda and I am an avid user of alcohol and marijuana (its legal in my state)
      I currently take geodon, lamictal, and lithium but I just added latuda
      everything seemed like it was actually working great with Latuda but after I used "weed" and alcohol my brain is in bad shape and slowly getting better 
      It really left my mind foggy and inattentative in the morning because of  combining the marijuana and alcohol with it.
      at first it was going great but mixing those things with it really left my mind not all there  
      moral of the story if you take other bipolar/schizophrenia meds alongside Latuda DO NOT do any marijuana as well it'll ruin your brain over time trust me. Other antipsychotics can cause this effect too
      i hope this helps those who are struggling with substance abuse alongside any of these meds because they can help you greatly but marijuana will fry with your brain with them overtime mixing them
    • By Stars
      I have been taking Latuda 20mg for about 3 yrs. I wasn't deeply depressed any longer but I just had no motivation and it was hard to get up many days. I generally just watched TV and looked at the net. Recently I suggested to new pdoc to increase the Latuda to 40mg. The reason it hadn't been done before this is that I have EPS from taking Stelazine for 18 yrs. So the doc increased it and the first week or so it caused insomnia and it was stressful. Now things seem to have settled down and for about a week now I have felt--Happy. I hardly remember what it feels like. I actually cleaned my fridge today. May not seem earth shaking but huge for me. The only problem I am having that I am aware of is some breast discharge. I know this can be very normal and does happen with some AP. Anyone else ever had this happen?
      I am bipolar 2 mostly depressed and a very long term psych patient. 
      stars
    • By SheltieUnderdog
      Speech in general has always been a little bit of an issue for me. I did see a speech pathologist in the past but I was about 12 and didn't care much to benefit from it then. Just for the record, I have always noticed that my speech is much sharper when I'm not taking antipsychotic medications. Strangely enough, I seem to speak the most clearly right before I have a relapse and I am becoming manic. Almost every antipsychotic I have taken has had a negative reaction on my speech but never as much as the most recent, Fanapt. I was recently switched from Latuda 20mg to Fanapt 6mg (once daily) to suppress akathisia. At first everything seemed fine and the akathisia which was a longtime battle of mine was tapering down just slightly on the Fanapt. Then a few weeks settle in and I start feeling like I've been hit by an 18-wheeler upon waking up and just overall sedated and "spaced out". I am forgetting things, mostly short-term memory loss. A few days ago I went into a retail pharmacy to buy a few specific things, walked inside the sliding doors and completely forgot what I walked inside for a few second, although I did ultimately remember a few minutes later. Not just this but I also seem to have developed blurred vision and can absolutely not drive or operate a vehicle on this medication.
      Additionally my speech is completely shot and disorganized almost half the time. My speech patterns at times are almost like someone who is borderline cognitively impaired yet my IQ is in the 101-109 range (I am average). I'm forgetting words that once came easily to me and have to scan my brain hard for them, sometimes for over 10 minutes. Usually I know what I want to say but it either doesn't come out right or I just can't get it out in words. It's extremely frustrating and it's causing depression and I've threatened suicide to family and friends yet backed off that is how bad its become. I just want my ability to speak normally to be returned to me. I am coming off the Fanapt but would like to be given some suggestions as to what steps I should take to rehabilitate my speech and what medications are not disabling for someone's speech or what medications could counteract disorganized speech. My current psychiatrist is unsympathetic and doesn't care. And my initial question is can Fanapt cause a speech impediment?
    • By Hernam
      I started taking latuda about three weeks ago I stopped becasie I was having jaw dystonia. My pdoc suggested that I take Benadryl with the latuda. It helps a little bit, but I still have it during the day. I causes tightness in my jaw to the point I am constantly clinching. It seems to be the only side affect I have. My pdoc told me there is another medicine he can prescribe for dystonia if needed. My question is of anyone has had this side effect and if it goes away after some time?  Thank you for any input.