Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teacup

What happens when you call the cops after your husband hits you?

35 posts in this topic

Thanks for telling us about it, teacup.  I think it was a major achievement to make that connection.  I hope you can find the funds to pay your aunt for more babysitting so you can continue on your journey.

olga

Generally they don't ask you to make a plan the first time you see them because as you know, people who are abused tend to be very empathetic people who are worried about their abuser.  She doesn't know that you have a great resource like CB encouraging you to get out so she wanted to start slowly.  If I were you, I might say that I wanted to get things planned out as quickly as possible because every time you leave the house it is pretty expensive for you in terms of effort and money.

I also want you to know that saying "if you call the police, they'll never believe you because you're crazy" is exactly what my abuser said too, and I've spent the last decade of my life wishing I had just called them.  I'm so so so glad you're making this effort, and I know how hard it is.  Good for you.

...Keep us updated, and good on you for taking these steps.

Just wanted to update. I never followed through on pressing further charges on my husband. I had long stopped going to the domestic abuse counseling. I still see the same blessed Tdoc regularly. 

Things are worse because now he is hitting and threatening to the children. So I have resumed domestic abuse counseling once again. I have also shared what is going on with a trusted family member, who wants me to call the police and have husband arrested next time it happens.

I keep making excuses as to why I can't take action now. But it shouldn't really matter..because when it's time to make that call, there will always be a holiday, a birthday, some special event, work being done on the house, or a commitment I've made and some reasonable explanation why now isn't a good time. 

I am starting to feel tired of making excuses.

What about me? Why do I try to rate and value all these up and coming occasions as being more important than me and the children? 

I do feel bad about my sis-in-law. She lives with us. She is finishing college, her parents are both dead and she has no where else to go. I enjoy her presence very much here, and it hurts me to do this to her. Also, I worry she will think I'm crazy for doing this, because my husband does not show the full extent of his violence in front of her. 

I still need to make myself and my kids priority, though.  

I hate how I don't trust my own instincts for making the right decisions. And that I believe I'm the one who's selfish and behaving irrationally. 

I will continue to update.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:27 PM, Teacup said:

Things are worse because now he is hitting and threatening to the children.

Oh Teacup. I am so sorry.

You  have GOT to tell the police now. Do it now.

YOu are the priority here. And your children are getting hurt. They do not deserve a life like this.
You do not deserve a life like this. NO ONE does.

Thinking about what to do is MUCH MUCH harder then it will be when you finally do it. You will wonder why in the world you never did before.

Grab your relative, tell the authorities.  Protect your children. Do it for them. 

Teacup, get out of there before something happens that you can't rationalize.

1 person likes this

Teacup, I keep re-reading your post.

You are making excuses for NOT keeping your kids alive and safe and happy.

Turn off your mind and get out.

Posted (edited)

@Teacup, I speak from sad personal experience from being with an abuser in the past.......Your husband is escalating dangerously.

If one of your kids tells a teacher or counselor about this at school, or if a teacher or school nurse sees any suspicious looking bruises or injuries on your kids, they are legally REQUIRED to report this kind of thing to Child Protective Services (CPS).

And then, CPS CAN remove your children from you, unless you:

1) get out of there immediately with your kids, or

2) file charges against him, and get a protective order to remove him from your home.

This is the cold, hard, truth.....CPS COULD step in if you don't take some action, and they could take your kids.

What I ended up doing was filing charges and getting a protective order, to have him removed from the house, because at the time, the house we were living in, was in my name.

I still got my child support, and sole custody--I had my child support garnished from his wages, so I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

Was this easy?--Hell no....But I didn't want my daughter growing up in this kind of toxic environment....Fortunately she doesn't remember any of the incidents, since she was still a toddler when I finally had his butt kicked out.

His welfare is no longer any of your concern--don't feel sorry for him.

Don't delay...........Get out NOW with your kids, or have him removed from your home NOW by filing charges and getting a protective order.....Even if you're not thinking of yourself, think of your children.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Teacup, get out now! This is not going to get better. You owe it to your kids to protect them even if you don't want to protect yourself. Kids should have the right to be kids without having to deal live in fear all the time. And you too deserve to live a better life.

If you don't want to file criminal charges then fine, but get out. There just isn't any other option.

1 person likes this