MiaB

Understanding self injury, wound care and treatment options

1 post in this topic

If you've read the guidelines, you will know that this forum is focused on recovery and understanding the reasons behind self harm.

While we prefer to concentrate on the underlying urges that feed this behaviour and in finding alternatives, we recognise that many of our members still need detailed assistance in figuring out their own circumstances and options.  This includes what to do with (1) basic wound care, (2) judging whether or not to go to an ER or seek medical assistance, and (3) how to start the road to recovery and understand what's going on.

The links below have been vetted by our mod team, and each contains compassionate and practical information which we hope you will find helpful. We encourage you to read through them, and post on the forum itself if you still have questions.

A guide for those who self injure (excellent article with links which speak about reasons for self injury, treatment and recovery)

Self injury help, support and treatment (another excellent and up-to-date article which speaks about myths, facts and understanding)

Caring for self harm wounds (detailed information on caring for injuries)

Self injury treatment checklist (for use if you have to go the ER and don't feel able to speak in detail about your situation)

Signed,

The SI Mods

Edited by MiaB

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TearfulSolace
      I posted this in the depression board and no one was recalling finding it so I'm moving it here. 

"I don't have a lot of time to get the message out as I am currently hiding in the restroom at work.... I just need to get it out. 
      About 2 Or 3 weeks ago I started thinking about self harm. I have a pretty long past with it and always seem to turn to it. The problem is my husband gets so angry and blames himself when I do and then he babies me for months like I'm just gonna go jump off a bridge if he's not watching me 24/7. That's the only reason I don't. Because he gets annoying. 
      Well yesterday I was passed up for ANOTHER promotion by my partner who, although has worked for the company a tiny bit longer then me, she's actually only been at our store for like 5 months.... I needed that promotion... It was my ticket off night shift (which takes a huge toll on me, any over nighter can tell you) and a higher pay check which means I could've gotten meds or a tdoc. I hate my job so much I've called in 3 times this month just because I can't get myself out of bed to go.....
      I've been walking around with a rubber band on my wrist for these few weeks snapping the crap out a me and tonight I think I may have caused a blood blister....  :/ I'm not happy with this situation at all..... I just want to be happy again and like my work..."
    • By TearfulSolace
      I don't have a lot of time to get the message out as I am currently hiding in the restroom at work.... I just need to get it out. 
      About 2 Or 3 weeks ago I started thinking about self harm. I have a pretty long past with it and always seem to turn to it. The problem is my husband gets so angry and blames himself when I do and then he babies me for months like I'm just gonna go jump off a bridge if he's not watching me 24/7. That's the only reason I don't. Because he gets annoying. 
      Well yesterday I was passed up for ANOTHER promotion by my partner who, although has worked for the company a tiny bit longer then me, she's actually only been at our store for like 5 months.... I needed that promotion... It was my ticket off night shift (which takes a huge toll on me, any over nighter can tell you) and a higher pay check which means I could've gotten meds or a tdoc. I hate my job so much I've called in 3 times this month just because I can't get myself out of bed to go.....
      I've been walking around with a rubber band on my wrist for these few weeks snapping the crap out a me and tonight I think I may have caused a blood blister....  :/ I'm not happy with this situation at all..... I just want to be happy again and like my work...
    • By Poem
       Possible trigger 
      I've relapsed after a long stretch. Luckily I don't have any "tools" anymore...but I ended up using whatever I could find.
      Anyway, the point of this post is this. Are there others who just "scratch" themselves instead of deeply cut? By scratching I mean using some thin and sharp like a razor to just cut deep enough to see blood. I have cut slightly deeper before when really angry. When I SI I want to see blood. Also, I find shallow cuts (think paper cut) hurt enough for me, especially when I press on them after bandaging everything up.  My recent experience was different because I "cut" the top of my wrist. That made it noticeable (I don't have many long sleeved garments.) No one has said anything and right now it has healed up a lot to the point that you wouldn't really notice it unless the light hit it a certain way. What do you say if someone notices? I can't wear most tank tops because they reveal more of your chest and I do have some scars there. So I wear them at home.
      Anyway, does anyone do the same thing? I also press on bruises to make them larger, hit myself (slap my face until it is swollen), bite myself until it hurts (never broke the skin), use my nails to scratch my face....Sorry. I just feel alone and like I screwed up again. Doesn't help that I was going through two relationship fails at once (not romantic.)
      Also, does anyone else find the "clean up" process soothing? I find that when I disinfect and bandage up my cuts it is almost like self-soothing. Like I am doing something nice for myself. Sick, right? 
      I guess I just needed to let this out. I don't want to feel alone in this fight, but I don't wish it on anyone either. I just feel like one twisted puppy.
      Poem
    • By TeaLovingMess
      I feel like sometimes everything just seems to happen at once, or at the worst time possible. I haven't been able to afford my medication, and so haven't taken it in over a week, and on the weekend my partner and his dad got in a massive argument over our room being untidy (we live with his parents until we can afford our own place), which resulted in me hurting myself, which I'd so far managed to avoid doing for months. On that evening I got a call from my mum telling my my Grandad had passed away, and though I knew it was coming, I wasn't expecting it so soon. I just feel like everything is piling up around me and there's nothing I can do. Because I work full time I can't see the outreach worker I only just got off the waiting list for, and the only decent therapist I've had has a massive waiting list too. I honestly just feel quite lost.