CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
saddest

serious vs non serious mental illness

Idk what to say about that really.  All MI are serious, IMO.  They put anxiety in non-serious, ie, and that can get serious, depending on the person.  I know I have bad anxiety (on 3 meds specifically for it), so I see that as serious.  But maybe they are taking other factors into consideration, Idk.

Lol, DID is a non-serious diagnosis??? Since when?? In my country this is definitely not true. I know that both did & most personality disorders are considered severe in my country, at least according to filing for disability from the state. Major depression is hard to get disability from where i live though, because its bot considered severe enough.

Personally i think its bullshit. I know "low functioning" people with only anxiety and i know "high functioning" people with bipolar 1. Its not just about diagnosis. Hierarchies of mental illness are so silly.

That non-serious illness list is... really something. 

Personality disorders and DID are not considered serious? I mean, what? 

This really irritates me. Not only do I have a disorder on the "non-serious" list but you don't have to be an expert to know that there are extenuating circumstances that can make any disorder/ disease/ illness serious, such as the time between the first symptoms and treatment intervention. For example, if you leave a sinus infection untreated for too long it can develop into bronchitis and bronchitis can then turn into pneumonia. 

Anything given time can become dangerous or life-threatening. 

The fact that anybody would take the time to decide what illnesses are serious vs non-serious based off of a label and not off of actual present symptoms is beyond me. 

Even NAMI considers some of the ones listed as non-serious to be serious http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=about_mental_illness

Edited by Angeni Mai

This list is crazier than me:

Yes, the person writing that would appear to have a serious disorder: a lack of awareness of being a human being rather than object to be categorised, for a start.

"Depression in childhood and adolescence"

This one's good. So as you become an adult your chronic depressive illness becomes naturally and automatically less serious. Really?

The list is an attempt to codify something that cannot be neatly or safely be thus tidied up and compartmentalised.

There's nothing here for the seriousness of "just getting too weary" of the same "non-serious" illness dragging on and on.

Or the seriousness of the "last straw effect" where one trivial extra load or stress can take someone from managing to fracturing.

Or for the "small but critical" condition.  Like the autistic person who is highly intelligent and many ways competent and skilful, but has that little trait of having absolutely no sense of danger.

Would I like to know the "thinking" that went behind the development of this page and list?  In some ways I would,., but I suspect I'd be disgusted and horrified.

Chris

One scary thing of this list is that it is from an insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield), so they are the ones playing God and making the decisions, not the DRs.

Oh, yes, severe trauma, beeing depressed all the day for years, having troubles with one's behaviour, being unable to maintain relationships, suffering from a horrible anxiety...is not serious. Is OK and perfectly normal.

*Sarcasm inside*

I wonder....anxiety without a specific origin is better than anxiety with a specific origin? Eh?

That's really fucking stupid shit.

I know people (myself included) who have any anxiety disorder and are pretty much housebound and even the home is a miserable place because of it. I've seen people with personality disorders, trauma, whatever....EVERYTHING ON THOSE LISTS MAKES PEOPLE SUFFER!!! Every item there is fucking miserable.

Fucking insurance companies. What the fuck?

Are they putting them in categories like, what has to be treated with meds and what doesn't "have" to? Because a LOT of people (like melissa up there) have to take meds for anxiety.

Also- I shouldn't have read that. Every fucking time someone or a list or a doctor refers to me as "very seriously ill" I get pissed because I PERSONALLY do not feel like I am severely ill.

Those people can suck it. Everyone with a mental illness should be treated with meds if need be. Good god.

/rant.

Heehee, this sets up a funny scenario: when my eating disorder or my ptsd are trying to kill me either through restriction, purging, or suicidal behaviour - that's serious. But when the DID could kill me by accident (someone here eats what is essentially poison, or is suicidal) that's not serious.

The idea that someone can make the distinction is ludicrous. Who are these people who wrote this? Do we want to be taking them seriously and increasing their page hit count? They seem like a bunch of ignorant misinformation peddlers.

I wonder if BCBS takes a person's info and covers only certain MIs based on that list.  That would be insane.

Oh, well now that I see that it's an Insurance company it makes sense: they aren't paying for therapy, just things that meds have been approved for. It all makes sense now :)

I have a different insurance company but they used to cover "serious mi" and others differently. They changed their policy and now the co pays are the same. I never saw a list

If you look at what the site says, it says "as defined by law".

This means the issue is really with the state of Illinois.

As messed up as it is, generally distinctions between "serious" or "serious and persistent" mental illness are made based on access to resources as a way to help define who gets to have what programs available to them (supported housing, supported employment, case management, peer support, drop-in center, etc).

This is what happens when mental health is low on the budget priority list.

That sucks.

I've been diagnosed with three of the "serious" disorders, but the "non-serious" mental illness - social anxiety disorder - has been easily the most damaging in my life. During my teens and twenties it incapacitated me in all social situations, and it's one of the major reasons I'm still so isolated even now in my 40s. It is also a major reason I'm near the bottom socioeconomically even at this age.

That sucks.

I have never ever understood why mental health is always such a low priority.

That sucks.

I have never ever understood why mental health is always such a low priority.

The issue is that it's not physical and can't be seen. Only the symptoms are present but most people take the symptoms to be that of a lazy or attitudinally challenged person. If people saw us with hands wrapped around our necks or bruises all over, they would take MI more seriously.

Hm.  Surprised to see that come from BCBS.

That's BCBS listing disorders as classified according to legal definition ["The law defines the following conditions as a serious mental illness:"]

I had trouble finding legal definition [on BCBS or generally]  but I have seen the terms elsewhere.  Looking over the list, it appears that the classification may be made [at least in part] by how much/how many/how intensive/how costly typical interventions can be for each given disorder.

That sucks. I have never ever understood why mental health is always such a low priority.

The issue is that it's not physical and can't be seen. Only the symptoms are present but most people take the symptoms to be that of a lazy or attitudinally challenged person. If people saw us with hands wrapped around our necks or bruises all over, they would take MI more seriously.

Mmmmm, sadly my husband sometimes has this view. I would hate to see what I look like if my outward appearance reflected how I felt, lol.

Mental illness can still be life threatening. Suicide?

Homicide?

Edited by happy2beyoung