CrazyBoards.org

A genuine issue.

For me, while there are definite traits and aspects about my Asperger's I would be happy to lose, I'd say no if it also meant losing other aspects of my spiky ability profile which are also generally considered as AS features or traits.

It's made me what I am.  It is part of ME even if it does not define me.

If the world could take a cure for its narrowness of understanding and tolerance, while I might ethically have some hesitation about ramming it down the world's throat by force, I can't see what adverse side effects would result from it being taken voluntarily.  

Yes, for those more severely affected by autism, the balance and decision might be different.

But to have to take a "cure" because other people are insufficiently informed and understanding...

...Me, I'd want to explore some other options first.

Such as finding the right (peculiar if necessary) niche where I am a better fit and/or better understood.

And making sure I did have *my* mental toolkit for acceptance and understanding and feeling good as good as I could get it.

My first take,

Chris

I don't have autism, but was curious about the question so I wanted to chime in on a different level. 

I'm honestly not sure. The only thing I could see taking the "cure" for would be my day-to-day physical pain; otherwise I'm okay. I am happy the way I am. It'd be weird to adapt to being someone different. I don't know.

I am curious to see what others say to this.

No, I wouldn't.

If my bipolar could be cured once and for all I would be all over that. Being bipolar has brought me nothing but grief and destruction.

But my Autism is part of who I am. And I believe that the world could be made a better place for Autistic people if only NTs could be bothered to learn about us.

I would rather advocate for the rights of Autistics and educate people about us than cease to be one.

My first take...

Normally I'd say no. But right now I'm depressed and autistic and I'm struggling. On a non depressed day I'd be fine it has it's challenges and limitations but I'll live. When I'm depressed I freaking hate being autistic. It makes everything just way more difficult. Granted in the long run, yes I wouldn't mind not being autistic. I can't feel empathy and I would love to be a pdoc or a tdoc. But having a career where I have to fake empathy all day every day sounds like torture therefore I'm just staying in research with a PhD in psychology. Like I said, it has it's limitations but in the long run I'll live. 

"A paradox, a paradox, a most ingenious paradox"

"One of the major problems with neurotypicals is that they have a remarkable intolerance of difference and expect everyone to accept the same culture and conventions, yet, as humans, we have always progressed by being different."

Professor Tony Attwood.       (Personal communication, but with permission to quote)

The paradox or oddity is that those of us *recognised* as having less in the way of intrinsic and instinctive social skills and flexibility are the ones expected to make the change and adapt to fit in, rather than those in the range of "normal" who are supposed to be better-supplied in the same area.

Personally I suspect that for many that this "social awareness" amounts to little more than expecting others to think, react and feel as you do.
That works quite well as a shortcut technique if the the individual is well settled into the local majority culture.  It will have a high success rate.

But it won't work if the individual is relocated to a foreign society and culture, or is faced with an atypical individual.
That's when any real social skills, awareness and adaptability will be differentially made manifest.

Chris.

My autism is not a pathology to be "cured".  I do not consider myself ill, merely different, and different in ways that I frankly value.  The lack of social interaction with the majority is an unfortunate downside, but I have taught myself to adapt.  I prefer to think of myself as a (slightly) different species of human.  The idea of "curing" Asperger's or High-Functioning Autism is largely a neurotypical-driven notion.  It is how my brain works, and it works perfectly well.  The problem is not so much in me as in the ability of neurotypicals to understand and relate to me.  If I lack certain intrinsic social skills, then I adapt to simulate them, and have managed to function tolerably well - though by no means perfectly - in general society.  But presented with a choice between considering myself defective or finding fault in the tolerance of others, I'll take the latter option every time.

Normally I'd say no. But right now I'm depressed and autistic and I'm struggling. On a non depressed day I'd be fine it has it's challenges and limitations but I'll live. When I'm depressed I freaking hate being autistic. It makes everything just way more difficult. Granted in the long run, yes I wouldn't mind not being autistic. I can't feel empathy and I would love to be a pdoc or a tdoc. But having a career where I have to fake empathy all day every day sounds like torture therefore I'm just staying in research with a PhD in psychology. Like I said, it has it's limitations but in the long run I'll live. 

I feel exactly the same way. In an ideal world, the world would adapt to my ASD. However I'm outnumbered and it's a neurotypical world. I tried fighting but I keep coming up short. I'd rather cure this for good so that I don't have to struggle anymore.

It's a myth that we can't feel empathy.  Getting there is just more complicated and we don't always recognize it when we see it.  

Guess that's true. I felt empathy for a calf who's mother died. Humans are the hard part. If I wasn't so grossed out my blood and surgeries I totally would've been a vet. 

I think I would say no I wouldn't take a "cure" for autism.  I'd maybe lessen some of the effects though like my obsessions not having such a huge hold on me that I am unable to think of anything else.  I'd also like to be able to feel confident while holding a conversation, but I think that will just take some practice.

It's a myth that we can't feel empathy.  Getting there is just more complicated and we don't always recognize it when we see it.  

I feel as if I've written about this somewhere else recently, but our empathy also doesn't necessarily take the same forms as NT empathy.

I can't even imagine what a cured "me" would look like. My therapist is trying to get me to imagine what I would be like, what my life would be like, if I woke up and all my issues were cured, and it's like asking me "What if you woke up and you were someone else?"

Actually, working with my therapist for many years, and after a series of extremely emotion-wrenching life events, I began to be able to understand my own emotional states and get a sense of those of others.  I don't like the change, and I don't recommend it.  It hurts.  I think I was much better off working my way through the emotional world by observation and deduction than by actually feeling it.  I take it as evidence that I was meant to be an Aspie.  Ignorance was (relative) bliss.  If this is the "cure", no thank you indeed.

I know what you mean,Cerberus. I know the computer operating system is a metaphor that's been beaten to death, but that's probably because it was a good one to start. I am simply different. I process the world differently; my reactions are different; my relationship with myself is built around different principals. And if the world at large could find it in its collective heart to leave me alone, to let me simply be as I am, it would spare me such misery.

There's nothing here to cure. All I need is room to function optimally.

I, for one, would hate to be cured of my partial neurotypicality or partial HFA-spectrum personality, for that matter.

The only illness I would change is my insomnia, and that's because it physically affects me. I wouldn't be where I am now without my illnesses, so although I'd like them to tone down a bit, they form my personality.

• Like 1

Dunno what it would do to me. I only got diagnosed with this like a couple months ago and I still can't really understand how the disorder affects me. If being cured would get rid of my social weirdness then I'd do it in a second, but if it would mess with how I actually think then I'd be like fuck off.

I would not want to be "cured."

Autism is a part of who I am -- it is a PERVASIVE developmental disorder, after all. On a good day, I can kind of like who I am as a person. I don't know what sorts of things being "cured" would change, but I would worry it would change or take away the things that I like about myself, like the way I think about the world or my passion for my "special interest" (i.e., art).

This doesn't really figure into the idea of a "cure" being offered at my current state, but more of a "what if you had never been autistic"-type scenario.... But I also worry that if I had developed like a neurotypical person that I wouldn't like the way I came out. I've thought about it before, and I worry that I might not have as much empathy for people who are different or who are struggling with one thing or another in life. I feel like having my own struggles (whether it's with autism or with any of my mental illnesses) has made me a better person, one who is more compassionate and understanding than I might otherwise have been.

Anyway, that's long enough of a ramble, and I agree with some of what previous opponents to the "cure" have said, so I'll end there.

Since i started on this site i have learned a tremendous amount. I will still talk with my doctor but i don't think i have anything that relates to the autism spectrum so the previously stated answer i posted on this thread may not be 100% applicable. I will say this though that this site is a great resource for people.

No.

Not Autism.

I wouldn't recognize myself.

Depression? Fuck yes. Actual symptom control for things like executive dysfunction? That actually worked?  Hell yeah, give it to me straight. Would it be nice to be "normal" and have like- had lots of friends in highschool or like chit chat? Maybe. I guess. But not really I mean I would be a completely different person. I wouldn't be me at all. But autism doesn't cripple me, it makes me. Fuck depression. That's the real challenge in my life. But ASD isn't something I can separate from myself so easily.

I think it's hindered my maturity and progress to adulthood but I think it adds flavour to me, my personality. If it was a pill I took to temporarily remove it so I could get some stuff done then yes, I'd take it for a time. I'd probably be pressured into being cured, honestly.