CrazyBoards.org

Oh, definitely. My primary school life and much of my high school life was crippled by meltdowns and by just looking strange. I was put in special needs when I started high school, had an aggressive hypo episode and became the terror of the rest of the unit because I looked down on their lower functioning. Eventually I joined the normal stream, in which I found that the other children were still less intelligent than me, or so I perceived, and terrorised them, too! They terrorised me back when I had my first high school meltdown. And then the psychosis hit. But that's a story more germane to another thread.

ARFID, as a direct result of my autism, has also been the bane of my life. I've never been able to eat properly. I probably ate better in my AN years, the only break I've ever had from ARFID, than I ever had before or have since. 

Nobody - nobody - with my level of "functioning" would ever choose to keep their autism. Nobody but the most hair-shirted of masochists.

immediately. The vast majority of people diagnosed with autism were diagnosed young and given help. Amongst the old, only those who end up with severe psychiatric symptoms etc end up getting diagnosed. If you're fifty and autism has ruined your life, of course you hate it and it's too late to start over in almost any area. (If your life went great, why would you end up in a mental hospital being diagnosed?!) I reserve the right to hate it and say i do, i'm sick of being told that i should love something that's ruined my life. It's not remotely the same as being a child who gets lots of help to counteract it and always knows what's wrong and what to do about it throughout their life.

Edited by maiamaia

my initial thought was, No

however, after reading the through the replies my response refined

if the "cure" was temporary, it would be interesting to try it.  Especially if it helped harden the ego

I really don't think its the autistic people who need to be cured. I understand that my oldest daughter looks different and people assume she is retarded and all she can do is push a broom. I understand normal people want to exploit her and treat her like they treated blacks or whoever society decided it was okay to dehumanize. For the most part, the autistic people I know are morally and ethically superior to the so called normal people. The world will loose something very valuable if they go away. Who else expects fairness and justice and can be honest and unbiased enough to scream out to the world the Emperor Has No Clothes when everyone else is being politically correct for better or worse. The world may hate some truths but they are no less true. If you cure it, the normal people will be stumbling around blindly in the dark even more so than usual. We have blind spots but normal people turn a blind eye, a far worse crime. Our place in the world may suck, but the world is better with us in it.