Justbeingme

brintellix... questions!

24 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am soo glad that I found this board and some informations about that new drug! I am from Montreal, Quebec and brintellix is call Trintellix here. It is brand new and was just approve 4 months ago.

I have GAD and have been on a few drug in the past. I was on zoloft the past 3yrs until a week ago. The last year, I had more anxiety so my doc increased it at 125 and in january at 150. Didnt work and even made my blood pressure rise a bit( never had that in my life before). 

So a week ago, she prescribed my brintellix 10 mg. I switch from zoloft 150 to that brint the next morning.

Had nausea the first hour but nothing else. Never really had side effects like I had with other meds in the padt but... The only thing that really bothers me is that I have extrasystoles EVERYDAY since! Like my hearth miss a beat or jump. It increase through the day. It is quit exhausting!

I saw the doctor at the beginning of this week and she wasnt worry at all and could not answer if it was due to the fact that I stopped zoloft or to the new drug! Pharmacist could not answer also.

I remember that effexor and pristiq did gave me that, so I dont knoe if brintelix is acting the same on my body!?

Should I quit and go on another drug? What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot...

Hi again!

Even if nobody replied my last post I will give an update.

Im on my 11th day of brintellix. The extrasystoles have almost all subsides ( yeah!) since 3 days. I think it eas probably due to the switch of xoloft.

The nausea is gone but I eat breakfast before taking my med so I think that does the trick.

I am still tired and feel little lighthead... I dont know why but wish it will go away soon. If anyone can tell me about about that, I would appreciate.

So I continue taking 10 mg and will see my doctir in two weeks...

Day 7 and I'm definitely tired. I have no energy or motivation to move for the last two days and before that it wasn't much better. Now I'm noticing a lot of itching. I hate this but I know I need to push on.

Justbeingme....

Have you experienced any itching at all? It's been ridiculous today! I won't last long on this med if this continues.

Still really out of it. So tired, head aches and I can't seem to move from the couch to get anything done. This is beyond annoying. Curious about how your day has gone.

Danjen...

No itching in particularly or not enough to have noticed it.

But my vision seems blurred and I fell tired!

My anxiety is also present but not as bad as ive experienced it.

Maybe the tiredness, anxiety , lighthead felling and blurred vision are just from the fact that we just started the med and that it is not doing his full job yet... Hope so!

We have to hang in there!!!

Maybe you can take some benadryl for the itching...just ask the pharmacist!

I've been using the Benadryl lotion but it's not touching it. Having hubby bring me oral Benedryl at lunch today but I don't know if I will even last that long. It's severe since 3am. That, upset stomach with running to bathroom, huge fatigue. I really wanted this to work. I'm so sick of trying different meds. Day 8 and miserable!!

Called the doc. Stopping B immediately, take oral Benedryl and seeing him tomorrow morning. Now if I can only last until the hubby arrives in an hour. I will let you know what the doc says tomorrow.

I would love to know of positive results myself.  Today is day 7 on 5mgs & the nausea has yet to subside.  Was supposed to increase to 10mgs today but told to stay at 5 & hang in there.  I'm willing to do that if I know eventually, sooner than later, side effects will go.  Nothing positive so report so far.  I also started Deplin along with & stopped that in hopes it would eleviate my issues.  I have been taking it at bedtime to sleep through the nausea but was up vomiting last night.  Anyone have similar issues and came out successful.  I was so hopeful & still trying to be so but its very difficult feeling so ill.  Any suggestions much appreciated. : )

Wish I had good news. 3 weeks in and officially off this med. 2 weeks at 5 mg and 8 days at 10 mg. Did not expect mood to improve by this early stage, but also did not expect the side effects to leave me feeling 10 x worse. Headaches subsided, nausea manageable, but the insomnia and flushing, compounded by a huge increase in anxiety has made this an unbearable drug. Bye Bye Brintellix :(

I'm on my fifth week of brintellix (10 mg), and so far I'd say it's mostly good, with just one significant drawback: vomiting.  During week 1 I felt queasy off and on a lot but didn't actually get sick, then the queasiness stopped but every week since then I have thrown up two or three times per week.

I actually feel physically fine except for those brief instances; I don't feel nauseous either before or afterwards. I find I can reduce the frequency of it if I eat a couple of saltines every hour, and don't let myself get either very hungry or very full.  I've found that physical exertion and overheating can trigger vomiing whether I have eaten recently or not. So, with all the snow we've had in the past month, I've been throwing up outside while shoveling if I stay out there too long.

My doctor had warned me of potential weight gain, but I've lost seven pounds (from 128 down to 121) due to this.

I haven't had any of the other potential side effects: no headache, dry mouth, constipation, itching, trouble sleeping, blurred vision, tiredness, dizziness, etc.  In fact, my mood and my general outlook / frame of mind have been really great - enough so that I'm willing to stay on this for a while longer and hope that this one bad side effect eventually subsides.

It may be getting worse rather than better though -- yesterday was the first time that I was sick twice in one day (about 10 hours apart), and then it happened again this afternoon while shoveling yet more snow. That is what actually prompted me to search for other people taking this drug -- wondering if anyone else has gone through four or more weeks of occasional vomiting and then having it eventually stop.

Edited by arglebargle

I'm four months in on brintellix. For the first five weeks I experienced extreme nausea and occasional vomiting (2-3 times a week). As I hit week six the nausea wasnt nearly as severe and by week seven it was gone. I havent experienced it since. The past two and a half months have been great for me. Good energy levels for the most part. I felt sluggish in the beginning but that started to improve around the same time the nausea did. For the first month I felt like I had a mild stomach bug. I considered giving up on the brintellix once or twice, myself. Im glad I didnt now. I take it in combination with geodon for BP and after the inital misery it has helped me to be the most even keeled I can remember ever feeling. It also makes me feel a more genuine happy, If that makes any sense.

Edited by Pashers

Hi, I started on B around 8 days ago, but am sensitive to meds, so I took 1/3 of 10 mg most days. When I tried 10mg one time felt spacey and like I had the flu. Yesterday I started to feel like my old motivated self with more pleasure in life. I'm happy to say that it feels like this is working for me and hope it keeps up. The secret for me is doing it very gradually. I hope this information helps someone and also that you all find what works to get your vitality back. Good Luck all and don't give up. I have felt like giving up many times in the last 3 years about getting the old me back, but I'm hoping that my persistence might be paying off now. GOD BLESS and keep the faith.

Edited by brintelhope

Thank you for sharing your experiences  My Doctor just gave me a script for this today and I  have not started it yet as I was concerned about the unknown and have had good and bad experiences with antidepressants in the past.  I have not been taking one for awhile and my depression has returned.  I really want and need to feel better but am afraid I won't be able to work with the side effects.  Reading the posts its so clear each person reacts differently to these meds.  I suppose the best thing to do is give them a chance.  It beats the alternative ~

Good luck and please update progress...

Good luck with the Brintellix. Today I felt some anxiety which I haven't felt in a long time and yesterday some itching. It wasn't too bad and is gone right now. Just need to hang in there and hope for the best. Good luck everyone and please stay in touch!

Hello, I am about to start Brintellix next week.  I am trying to think positive that this antidepressant is going to be "the one"...the only other antidepressant that has helped me is Nardil but I developed "burning mouth syndrome" so had to stop it.  I have just been going through life coping and trying to keep it together and taking whatever antidepressant had the most tolerable side effects.  When my Psychiatrist told me we now had access to Brintellix i was very excited.  I am currently reducing my Prozac and I am not feeling the best so I am just holding onto the hope that Brintellix will work for me.

Hi Everyone, Brintellix making me feel worse and worse as more gets into my system. It's been almost 6 weeks and most days have been spent in bed and currently I'm having headaches, increased anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, increased arthritis pain and no motivation. Was up to 7.5 mg and Pdoc told me to take 5mg for 1 day, 2.5 for 1 day then stop. Hope this helps someone. If you're doing well on it, congrats, good luck and continued success! If feeling worse, contact your Pdoc. Good luck and God bless! Happy Easter, if you celebrate it! If not, take care and enjoy what makes you feel good!

I hope those of you having side effects are feeling better!

The only side effect for me is headaches. 

I've been on this around 6 weeks now but it's not the miracle pill, I was hoping for.  I'm better but still not me. 

Even though I've been sleeping well, I wake up feeling like crap in the morning: depressed and anxious.  It slowly wears off, as the day goes by.

However, I plan on staying on it for a while and adding additional meds.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by Fluffypinkbunny

I've been on this med for a couple of weeks at 10 mg and it has helped with some of my depression issues in a good way. No nausea or itching. But, (and there's always one of those, isn't there?) it has increased my tendency to be irritable and restless, and less able to concentrate. I don't want to sit still, at work, at home, anywhere. I can barely stand to sit through a lecture, sermon, anything like that. Has anyone else experienced this? It is quite disconcerting. I feel like a two-year-old that needs snacks and picture books to get through sitting still anywhere. Heaven forbid I try to read. Maybe I'm getting ADD?

I'm on it for Panic disorder/GAD, I've been on it for exactly a month today, started at 5mg for 7 days and then to 10 mg. I am seeing some results but anxiety is still there just not as bad. Still having to take an average of 1 mg of Xanax a day.

I've been on Brintellix for just about six weeks. I started at 5 mg for ten days and then went to 10 mg.

At first I had some pretty textbook side effects: crazy dreams, nausea, mild headaches, general spaciness. After about a week at the 10 mg I realized I was experiencing the nausea for a shorter period of time every day. Which is great, because my coworkers were starting to think I was pregnant! The headaches aren't as frequent either.

I take Brintellix along with Wellbutrin, Ritalin, and Topamax for BP and migraine prophylaxis. The addition of the Brintellix worked really well to bring me out of a terrible depressive episode, but is not so elevating that I feel manic.

Hope I am in the place,,,Zoloft stopped working this year..Shrink upped to 150mg...was on that for 3 months...did nothing...Morbidly depressed...all year.

started on Trintellix, 5mg, October 2...I eat dry toast with water, then take it...side-effects are mild headaches (nothing works)...worse is the irritability...

Must take Ambien (sleeping pill)at night.

Also, I have clonzapam and depakote together every 4  hours

Very worried This Trintellix may not work...Zoloft was the only AD I could take.