CrazyBoards.org

Is Seroquel more sedating at lower or higher dose?

It is more sedating as you take more upto certain dose, then it is less sedating?

I was on Seroquel 100 for sleep but had to be keep increasing upto 200 now. 

Does this have to stop at some point?

My sleep problem is that, sometimes I do stupid things by staying up when the drowsiness hits. I miss that drowsiness for any reason, then I'm upto 4 am taking other different desperately to fall asleep.

Anyone else use Seroquel for sleep?

anything under >200 is more sedating, If you take as well more than 800 which you shouldn't can be very sedating too. Is it normal release? Seroquel for sleep, never heard of that though...

Edited by StJimmy9151

Taking immediate release for sure. XR would never give me drowsiness. I basically use this because no other meds work on me.

So would 250 be more sedating than 200? This is not like Remeron, right? Where it's more sedating at lower dose.

anything under >200 is more sedating, If you take as well more than 800 which you shouldn't can be very sedating too. Is it normal release? Seroquel for sleep, never heard of that though...

Seroquel at lower doses is used for sleep all the time. I took the xr version and got up to 150mgs and it worked too well. I would sleep 12-14 hours a day and be groggy for the following 3 when I woke up. So it effectively made me useless for 17 hours a day.

Seroquel is more sedating at lower doses, under 200mg, similar to Remeron. If you're just taking it for sleep, you risk side effects if you increase your dose on your own.

Taking immediate release for sure. XR would never give me drowsiness. I basically use this because no other meds work on me.

So would 250 be more sedating than 200? This is not like Remeron, right? Where it's more sedating at lower dose.

Yeah it is, I take it for my bipolar, anything under 250 is given to schizophrenics as well because it's sedating, it's unfortunate that your doctor had to resort to seroquel, its a nasty drug, I hate it. It represents all the corruption of the pharmaceutical world, doctors literally give it to anyone....when it's strictly for schizophrenia and bipolar or any psychosis related illness...but if it works then yeah, although if you ever come off it you might get psychosis so be cautious. 

Edited by StJimmy9151

I am on 500 mg, it does help with sleep, I have no day time drowsyness. I use it primarily for mood stabilization.

Yea I basically have no other meds that work on me. Hypnotics all don't work. Melatonin Rozerem either.

But wonderful thing is that I managed to lose weight through Seroquel. But it's been a challenge.

I was hoping Belsomra would be better, but it doesn't really do anything.

So everyone, is 150 more sedating than 200?

Yea I basically have no other meds that work on me. Hypnotics all don't work. Melatonin Rozerem either.

But wonderful thing is that I managed to lose weight through Seroquel. But it's been a challenge.

I was hoping Belsomra would be better, but it doesn't really do anything.

So everyone, is 150 more sedating than 200?

same i think

StJimmy9151, you are out of line. 

First of all, doses under 250mg are used in insomnia. Schizophrenia usually requires maintenance doses of 600-900mg. Please stop talking about something you clearly know nothing about. 

Second, Seroquel is not a "nasty drug" that "represents all the corruption of the pharmaceutical world." Seroquel is an excellent medication that provides millions of people with relief from insomnia, depression, bipolar disorder, and psychosis. I can guarantee that doctors do not just give it to anyone...and if you have that little respect for doctors, maybe you'd be better off getting treated by some shaman or medicine man in a hut somewhere. That's the level of scientific literacy you possess, apparently.

StJimmy9151, you are out of line. 

First of all, doses under 250mg are used in insomnia. Schizophrenia usually requires maintenance doses of 600-900mg. Please stop talking about something you clearly know nothing about. 

Second, Seroquel is not a "nasty drug" that "represents all the corruption of the pharmaceutical world." Seroquel is an excellent medication that provides millions of people with relief from insomnia, depression, bipolar disorder, and psychosis. I can guarantee that doctors do not just give it to anyone...and if you have that little respect for doctors, maybe you'd be better off getting treated by some shaman or medicine man in a hut somewhere. That's the level of scientific literacy you possess, apparently.

don't know what I'm talking about???please

I've taken it for two years

You can't take more than 800mg that is the limit, that's the max adult dose....

+

my leaflet says that anything around 200 is used for skitzophrenia....except if you are talking about xr?

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/quetiapine

"Quetiapine is used to relieve the symptoms of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and other similar mental health problems."

Edited by StJimmy9151

Plenty of people here take up to 1200 mg. For psychosis. Which requires higher doses. 

200mg is barely high enough to help with depression. I promise you it does next to nothing for schizophrenia. You are not properly comprehending what you are reading.

Edited by larkspur

1200 mg.....that is suicide....My doctor is freaking out because it's 800mg which is the max dose for regular dose..

Efficacy in schizophrenia has been reported with doses ranging from 150 to 750 mg/day. Maximum clinical effect has been reported at 300 mg/day.

According to drugs.com

http://www1.astrazeneca-us.com/pi/seroquel.pdf    leaflet

Edited by StJimmy9151

You didn't even know that seroquel was prescribed for sleep! Give me a break! And yeah, just check some signatures around here, I've seen 1200, 1000 and so on.

You didn't even know that seroquel was prescribed for sleep! Give me a break! And yeah, just check some signatures around here, I've seen 1200, 1000 and so on.

The leaflet says 800mg max dose...I don't understand :/

and yes I know that doctors give it for sleep, I just think it's over-prescriped for conditions that it is not intended for and the side-effects are horrendous. I'm still pro-med though...

Edited by StJimmy9151

Thank you...knew I was not the only one. 

I've had doses of up to 1600mg for schizophrenia, St Jimmy.

It's a wonder drug for me.

I don't get any upsetting side effects.

Stick to what you know about.

I've had doses of up to 1600mg for schizophrenia, St Jimmy.

It's a wonder drug for me.

I don't get any upsetting side effects.

Stick to what you know about.

If it does, good for you. If it helps good!

But I just don't like when people say I don't know what I'm talking about, when the leaflet  says the max dose 800 and my psychiatrist says the legal highest dose adult dose he can prescribe is 800mg. I know what I'm talking about and if 1600mg works for you, good!!

and yes I know that doctors give it for sleep, I just think it's over-prescriped for conditions that it is not intended for and the side-effects are horrendous. I'm still pro-med though...

you said the exact opposite just a few posts up. all meds can have horrendous side effects. seroquel is not especially toxic by any means. just because you've taken a med for a couple years and you can access information about the drug via google doesn't make you a pharmaceutical expert. people are not objecting to you relaying your personal experience with the drug - they're objecting to the misinformation you're spreading about it.  :rolleyes:

you said the exact opposite just a few posts up. all meds can have horrendous side effects. seroquel is not especially toxic by any means. just because you've taken a med for a couple years and you can access information about the drug via google doesn't make you a pharmaceutical expert. people are not objecting to you relaying your personal experience with the drug - they're objecting to the misinformation you're spreading about it.  :rolleyes:

it's not google, my leaflet on my medication box says it, and you are right I'm not a pharmacutical expert I just care about people and I want to advise to be careful that's all, my pdoc warned me too. Plus I agreed because i don't want to come across as anti-med because I'm not. I just read what my leaflet says on my box.

Edited by StJimmy9151

to the OP - sorry for the thread hijacking. in my experience, everyone has a different dose that is best for them for sleep. for some - 200 may be more sedating than 150 - and the opposite may be true for others. you can only find the best dose for you with trial and error. i've heard of 400 mgs being effective for insomnia and also 25 mgs. generally, the lower the dose, the more effective it is, but that does not mean that will be your experience.

i was on varying doses of seroquel for sleep for years and found it very helpful with minimal side effects. i went off of it because of a problem with fatigue which was being worsened by the seroquel (not caused by it, though). 

Edited by cosima

to the OP - sorry for the thread hijacking. in my experience, everyone has a different dose that is best for them for sleep. for some - 200 may be more sedating than 150 - and the opposite may be true for others. you can only find the best dose for you with trial and error. i've heard of 400 mgs being effective for insomnia and also 25 mgs. generally, the lower the dose, the more effective it is, but that does not mean that will be your experience.

All the previous nonsense in this thread aside (which I don't have the energy for), this is basically exactly the answer I would give to the original question.  Lower doses are generally more sedating, but this is not the case for everyone.  I may as well be popping sugar pills for any of the small doses.

I was also on 1000mg of the instant release for several years because that was what worked for me at the time.

eta I'm moving this to the Antipsychotics forum since the question really is about Seroquel.

Edited by MiaB

Yeah it is, I take it for my bipolar, anything under 250 is given to schizophrenics as well because it's sedating, it's unfortunate that your doctor had to resort to seroquel, its a nasty drug, I hate it. It represents all the corruption of the pharmaceutical world, doctors literally give it to anyone....when it's strictly for schizophrenia and bipolar or any psychosis related illness...but if it works then yeah, although if you ever come off it you might get psychosis so be cautious. 

Hey Jimmy, I'm going to write a script that automatically tells you to shut the fuck up every time you post so nobody else has to. 

At doses under 200mgs Seroquel is basically an antihistamine.  It blocks H2, the same as benadryl, and that's about it.  You won't start having a noticeable effect on other receptor sites until you get up around 400 or so.   If you're taking less than 400, you're getting overpriced benadryl.

As you get higher, the effect on norephenphrine can make it stimulating enough to counter the effect on H2, plus you begin to develop a tolerance to the sedative effect.   

you can tell me shut up, or someone could enlighten me and tell me why my leaflet says  different, I would actually like to know.  but you can be more polite about it. No need to swear at me. You are getting angry, not me. Don't swear at me. Thank you

Edited by StJimmy9151

The FDA max recommended dose is just that, a recommendation.   Physicians can prescribe ten times that if they think it will work without killing someone.

The max recommended dose is just the max dose on which extensive testing has been done, or the max dose people could take during testing before either higher doses were no longer effective or started to have bad side effects for a small minority.

That doesn't mean people can't take a higher dose or shouldn't take a higher dose.  All that number means is that you can't sue the drug company if you take a higher dose and turn into a frog.