CrazyBoards.org

crtclms

Anyone With Migraine Want to Share?

But if you get migraines a lot, most tension headaches will probably turn into migraines.

I completely agree with this.  Happens 100% of the time with me ... tension headache leads to a migraine if I let it go for long enough.

15 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

I haven't, to be honest.  It's one of those time things where because I was seeing him for multiple issues, I wasn't sure I'd have time to get into the weeds.  But now that some of the other issues have been ruled out/resolved (for example, I don't have carpal tunnel), I might be able to squish it in.  That's a good point.

I hope you are able to ask.  I know what you mean when you read stuff on-line, only to find it was the wrong thing.  Plus for me I hate the not knowing what it is I have.  Idk if this happens to you, but there are people in my life who need to know a diagnosis to believe I have it. 

I just had a horrible migraine. I just woke up from my migraine coma. It was so bad there was nothing I could do but sleep. I took 4 Motrin, an Imitrex, and some promethezine then preceded to take a 4 hour nap. It was hell. I feel like my "migraine prevention" medicine makes me have more migraines.

I think if you take the migraine prevention meds too often (if you do) you might build a tolerance to them, and need higher dose to help the pain stop.

This is what a friend told me:  Her pdoc prescribes some meds, and says to take them a couple days, then skip a couple of days, etc, because your body can get used to the med/s fast.  She wasn't on migraine meds, but that is what her pdoc told her so she didn't develop a tolerance and keep needing more and more.

I'm not sure if this is how you take certain meds, but thought I'd add it in anyway, just in case.

• Like 1

It *is* possible for you to have a response that is the opposite of what you are expecting, it's called the paradoxical effect.

If you've been on the same prophylaxis for a while, it might be worth discussing with your ndoc. If it is new, you might want to see if the side effect goes away. FYI, it is common to have more headaches as you get used to a new med. My dad used to say the new med was "shaking out" migraines.

• Like 1

I am very fortunate right now.  I warded off a migraine in a couple of hours.  I caught it right when I felt it coming on and immediately took some muscle relaxers and a propranolol, then laid down trying to relax my body.  It worked for the most part, enough that I can go and do stuff ... just resting now and still in no lights other than the computer.  I don't want to hear the phone ring either but I know it will be soon. (I did cover up the phone so hopefully when it rings it won't be too loud).

I have to be somewhere around 11:30 AM and I couldn't do it with a migraine.  So fortunately it is going away.  The only thing I am really dealing with is the nausea.  I hate this. I took a zofran that hasn't helped (I have the ODT kind so it should work instantly), so maybe another one is in order. 

I'm glad you were mostly able to ward it off...I hope it continues to go away.

I am currently knocking on wood because since I started my reduced schedule, I haven't had any migraines.  I guess because of the reduced stress level perhaps?  I'm hoping that that continues, though apparently all I need is a really bad weather day for them to kick back into gear.

7 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

I'm glad you were mostly able to ward it off...I hope it continues to go away.

I am currently knocking on wood because since I started my reduced schedule, I haven't had any migraines.  I guess because of the reduced stress level perhaps?  I'm hoping that that continues, though apparently all I need is a really bad weather day for them to kick back into gear.

Thank you.  I was able to ward it off the rest of the day.

I'm glad you are able to work without getting a migraine *knocks on wood with you*.  I think it could be stress that triggers it, among other things ... ie, lack of sleep, not eating "right," or healthfully, etc.  I hope you continue to be without migraines while working also.  I hope the weather stays ok to give you a long break from having them.

I am on the 9th day out of 10 with a migraine. My neuronurse better not end my disability. At least I slept somewhat well.

3 hours ago, crtclms said:

I am on the 9th day out of 10 with a migraine. My neuronurse better not end my disability. At least I slept somewhat well.

Sorry to hear that you've been having a migraine for so long!  Glad you could get some sleep.  Why would your neuro nurse end your disability?

Her PA told me that she never gave SSDI for migraine. I'm hoping that doesn't include Chronic Daily Migraine. I'll be seeing my neuronurse at the end of the month. I'm hoping her PA is full of shit.

I hope she is full of shit also.  So she has authorization to cut SSDI because of migraines?  For some reason I thought a DR had to sign off on the SSDI papers.

THIS stuff works!!! And under 45 seconds.  I've tried it 3 times and it worked every time.

http://smile.amazon.com/UrgentRx-Headache-Relief-Powder-Count/dp/B00U0DH708?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

71QwfAavKFL._SY679_.jpg

Edited by melissaw72

Glad it works for you Mel!

Apparently the only ingredients in it is 650mg of Aspirin with 60mg of caffeine. That's the highest recommended dose of Aspirin for adults and 20mg more caffeine per dosage than Fioricet.

It doesn't seem like a medication that should be taken often. Even if you can buy it off a shelf, please be weary what you use for long-term headache treatment.

42 minutes ago, Sloane said:

Glad it works for you Mel!

Apparently the only ingredients in it is 650mg of Aspirin with 60mg of caffeine. That's the highest recommended dose of Aspirin for adults and 20mg more caffeine per dosage than Fioricet.

It doesn't seem like a medication that should be taken often. Even if you can buy it off a shelf, please be weary what you use for long-term headache treatment.

Thank you :)

Yes, you can buy it off the shelf, but not in boxes.  They sell individually.  Got them at CVS. 

I don't use these packets often.  I save them for the worst times, and take Excedrin/use ice packs for the other times.  They are really handy though when you don't have water to swallow pills.

Other similar medications are brands BC Powder, and Goodys (which has acetaminophen alongside Aspirin and caffeine) which both sell in stores.

I'm having headaches every day at the moment. I think part of it is I'm tapering off Xanax, which is really hard and uncomfortable. But any headache I get, however small, can turn into a migraine.

It's going to take me several more months to taper all the way off. I hope things get easier.

4 hours ago, crtclms said:

I'm having headaches every day at the moment. I think part of it is I'm tapering off Xanax, which is really hard and uncomfortable. But any headache I get, however small, can turn into a migraine.

It's going to take me several more months to taper all the way off. I hope things get easier.

I just got over a 2-day migraine.  I can relate to however small the headache is, it can turn into a migraine (for me if I don't head it off with Excedrin first and flexeril ... right before falling asleep.  If I take flexeril without sleeping right after taking it, it can make any headache worse for me.

I'm sorry you've had them every day.

Ever since having a migraine about 2 weeks ago (it was one that came on so fast that I didn't have time to take pills or even get an ice pack).  And ever since that migraine I have had mini-headaches every day.  Neuro is being a prick as I've been writing about in other threads, and I am hoping he emails back today with some good news ... that he found a med that he is willing to prescribe, and calls it into the pharmacy.

I have been away for 5 days, and surrounded by people, constantly talking.  Stuff that I am not used to doing. 

Would being in this environment give me more migraines because my head is not used to this?  I have gotten a migraine Saturday night, and then again last night.  And both times I've woken up with them in the middle of the night.

Any advice appreciated.  If I get a 3rd one I'll call/email neuro, but if I can take care of it myself, I'd like to do that first.

I'm sorry but I don't know enough to say if the changed environment would increase frequency.  I've been meaning to get a migraines for dummies sort of book.

i also meant to post when I got one two weekends ago. The only seeming cause I can come up with is the sun....I was exercising with my dad outside and my glasses are only partially tinted, not full sunglasses.  Next thing I know it, one started.  The migraine went away with imitrex reasonably quickly, but I wasn't sure if sunlight was a known cause?

9 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

i also meant to post when I got one two weekends ago. The only seeming cause I can come up with is the sun....I was exercising with my dad outside and my glasses are only partially tinted, not full sunglasses.  Next thing I know it, one started.  The migraine went away with imitrex reasonably quickly, but I wasn't sure if sunlight was a known cause?

The sun can do it for me/can make one worse.  I'm not surprised that the sun would give you a migraine.

I've read that a typical migraine with aura affects the vision of both eyes. When I get migraine "auras" it usually starts in my left field of vision and may travel to the right, or it will start off as dimmed vision in both eyes. The scintillating scotoma always starts in my left eye. Often I don't have a headache which is good, but losing vision is kind of scary.

My vision in my left eye is poorer than my right.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/retinal-migraine/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I think being out in the bright sun might have caused me my weird eye thing today while wearing new glasses, and getting overheated a little. Silly me. I am seeing a neuro soon about it. I have had eye appointments that have not found anything wrong with the blood vessels in my eye. I often get these auras when I have finished exercising or had a long day at work.

It seems minor but it's a little weird.

9 hours ago, wookie said:

I've read that a typical migraine with aura affects the vision of both eyes. When I get migraine "auras" it usually starts in my left field of vision and may travel to the right, or it will start off as dimmed vision in both eyes. The scintillating scotoma always starts in my left eye. Often I don't have a headache which is good, but losing vision is kind of scary.

My vision in my left eye is poorer than my right.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/retinal-migraine/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I think being out in the bright sun might have caused me my weird eye thing today while wearing new glasses, and getting overheated a little. Silly me. I am seeing a neuro soon about it. I have had eye appointments that have not found anything wrong with the blood vessels in my eye. I often get these auras when I have finished exercising or had a long day at work.

It seems minor but it's a little weird.

(in bold) It can, but not everyone has that symptom.  My father gets so he can't see.  My eyes get slightly blurry.  But not everyone I know has their vision affected.

I'm not surprised you got the auras when you finished exercising (you might have exercised too much and stressed your body out, causing tension) or had a long day at work (maybe stressful too, tension). 

These things ... the stress, tension parts, will cause a migraine for me if the stressful things happen more than once.  I can usually handle the stress, but some is inevitable.  I was just away out of my own environment for 5 days, and the stress, tension, and lack of sleep of not being home all came together and I got 2 migraines while I was there.  Came home and they stopped.  Also there was a ton of talking and interaction with people, something I am not used to.

So I think all the symptoms you talk about are real, and could cause a migraine, IMO.  I'm glad you are seeing a neuro soon.  And FWIW ... I do not see these things as being weird.  I don't think they are not minor when they all come together and cause a migraine.