The Right Honourable Jimmy

"I'm a Satanist" ... or anti-religious, maybe?

34 posts in this topic

The devil and Satan are very different things.

The idea of a devil exists in most religions but Satan is exclusively for Christianity

Honestly I don't understand Satanism, there is nothing wrong with people who are ant-religious but if you are a satanist, sure you are worshipping evil ideologies .
A Satanist technically should not see what is wrong with murder, rape ect. because if Satan represents all 'sin' then you are worshipping a deity that condones murder, pain and suffering.

This is different though if you believe in the idea of god being evil himself and Lucifer being a misunderstood and wrongly be depicted as evil.

Life should be about being peaceful and compassionate to one another. You can believe whatever you want, as long as those beliefs don't condone violence or other malicious acts towards others.

Honestly, I wouldn't have a faith if it [with absolutely no doubt] represented evil ideologies. You could argue that most religions do, there is doubt though. To me is a bit of pick and choosing. I don't care about that bible verse for example that talks about homosexuality ect. because I honestly just ignore it and try and focus at being peaceful and compassionate (for selfish reasons sometimes though but who cares...)

I could be wrong though...

Edited by StJimmy9151

Modern Satanism isn't what you think.  These are taken directly from the wiki page, and I feel like they pretty much describe what these people believe as it stands.  It's more about self-preservation and personal moral hedonism than it is an evil ideology.  One of my good friends has been a Satanist for years, and she frequently quotes Anton LaVey in saying 'The cardinal sin in Satanism is stupidity.  It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.'  I'm not a Satanist myself, but I appreciate that tenet especially.

The Nine Satanic Statements
  1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.
  2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.
  3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit.
  4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.
  5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.
  6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires.
  7. Satan represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development", has become the most vicious animal of all.
  8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.
  9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years.
The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
  1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
  2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
  3. When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.
  4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
  5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
  7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
  8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  9. Do not harm little children.
  10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
  11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
The Nine Satanic Sins
  1. Stupidity
  2. Pretentiousness
  3. Solipsism
  4. Self-deceit
  5. Herd Conformity
  6. Lack of Perspective
  7. Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
  8. Counterproductive Pride
  9. Lack of Aesthetics
2 people like this

Thanks, I was wandering about that.

I suppose I'll blame fox news for my views lol

Edited by StJimmy9151

StJimmy - You're not wrong. There are satanists who believe in a horned beast and worship "evil'. Its mostly in undereducated metal-head crowds. Kinda bugs me though, I mean, if you think what the christianity/catholicism is doing is wrong/evil then why don't you just go worship the christianity/catholicism. I often wonder why "Satanism" was chosen for the name, it's kinda symbolic to me. Like the creator was just like "I hate christianity, the devil is cooler, I'm going to coin my beliefs this way so it's spookier"

Modern Satanism is just very selfish compared to a lot of religions. It doesn't bode well with me. I prefer many of the paganist belief sets over satanism 10fold. Not to knock anyone down but even those three passages are well... kinda lame to me. . Most Christian people adhere to a lot of these things anyways, very few people are monastic and completely selfless followers of any faith. I see no reason to celebrate or endorse selfcentered behaviour, there's already enough of it in this world.

I did find this one funny- "If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy."

Why not be a decent human and just say "Leave"...Who says the word "lair" anyways, its like straight out of Diablo II (video game) or something.

Or the paradox here -"When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there". yet, "Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.". So go ahead and steal, as long as its not in someone elses "Lair" it's all good. Roads, parking lots, and front porches are fair game. But if you jack someones car and they come up in your lair and annoy you, oh dear its fair to treat them cruelly and without mercy, they should know to do that outside.

Then the biggest paradox of them all - "Herd Conformity" but... in order to be a satanist here are rules to be herded by.

Then this one - Lack of Aesthetics, I mean come on. Does anyone actually lack aesthetic? Everyone has their own thing. Or is there a certain aesthetic to adhere too. I guess I'd rather not know.

I guess I'll end this post, with the Wiccan Rede - "An it harm none, do as thou wilt". It's not my cup of tea, maybe it works for someone else.

Edited by RoadToRecovery

I just think it makes for poor opinions to look at things are good or bad. Everything exists on a spectrum of grey and it's your own perspective and position that moves things around. A lot of ignorance comes from that binary mentality state.

Edited by Southern Discomfort

Btw, 

not "turning the other cheek" doesn't  represent strength

Being vengeful is a sign of weakness, revenge gets you nowhere in life. All it does is make you lonely and corrupt. 

I just think it makes for poor opinions to look at things are good or bad. Everything exists on a spectrum of grey and it's your own perspective and position that moves things around. A lot of ignorance comes from that binary mentality state.

absolutely!

The world is never black and white,

Grey, turquoise, yellow, cobalt blue.

No person, place, thing or belief can exist in only two states.

That works very well for 0's and 1's.  

In other words, computers.

Which we, thank gawd, are not.

Couldn't agree more. Dualism is a huge social problem. I actually wrote about it in the bisexual women and mental health thread a few days ago (http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/74914-bisexual-women-mental-health/#entry856583).

Its not the easiest path to walk in life because most peoples knee jerk reaction seems to be to view anything as black or white when really there are always infinite shades of grey inbetween.

I only used it in the above example because I felt like modern satanism was made as a direct result of dualistic thinking. As if there were no other options for a belief set that didn't leave christianity/catholicism, when really its more of a secular belief with lots of selfish and maybe a dash of wicca.

Edited by RoadToRecovery

Satanism is kind of silly.  I don't see it as "evil".  But it seems to exist as an anti-Christian type of thing.  So they get pissed off with Christianity, they pick the symbol from Christianity that represents the opposite in their minds and choose to worship that instead?

I can understand being upset with Christianity, but it seems like by being a Satanist you're just feeding energy back into Christianity instead of following your own path really.

People get all butt-hurt over putting a Satanist statue next to the 10 commandments on public land.  Satanists live for this sort of thing, they absorb the negative energy being poured at them by Christians' fear over some idol.  It's ridiculous.

StJimmy - You're not wrong. There are satanists who believe in a horned beast and worship "evil'. Its mostly in undereducated metal-head crowds. .

As a metalhead who was forced to drop out of college, I'm here to tell you that you can take this and tuck it up your old tan tailpipe. I might be an atheist Satanist, but at least I don't generalize about people based on the fucking music they listen to. Are you in high school?

As for my philosophical Satanism, it basically means that I do what I feel suits me best. If that means that I help someone because I feel they deserve it, then I do that. If it means I need to look after myself for awhile, I do that. I don't believe anything is sacred, but if anything were, it would be the self. After all, mine is the only existence over which I have any kind of control, so why would I bother policing others? 

If you have respectful questions, you may ask and I might answer. But if you can't keep a civil tongue, don't expect me to. 

Edited by Mim
1 person likes this

I agree with Mim here, Satanism is about the importance of the self. I think it can be taken too far by some people, and not everything written in satanism is necessarily something I agree with, but no religion is perfect. Christianity has some horrible and contradictory passages but by no means do I shit on the whole religion.

My favorite former roommate was a satanic person. Had good morals.

Btw,

not "turning the other cheek" doesn't  represent strength

Being vengeful is a sign of weakness, revenge gets you nowhere in life. All it does is make you lonely and corrupt.

In some circumstances, the State serving vengeance on some people is the best outcome possible. Spares society the economic burden of keeping them alive in prison and the concern that they may reoffend if released back into the community.

Edited by sprocket

I'm an atheist, but I admire what Satanists are doing in the western world these days.  I think they are a positive force.

And you know if this thread was about Christianity and people talked the shit about THAT they are about Satanism mods would be all over this preaching religious respect because all of the Christians would be whining like little bitches and crying about what people were saying about them.  At least all the Satanists here are respectfully responding to insulting commentary.

3 people like this

The idea of Satan is found in the Hebrew Bible (שָּׂטָן, meaning "Adversary"). There are 13 references to the Adversary outside of the Book of Job, which is all about the bet that God made with Satan.

The way this conversation has shaped up, the assumption is that being a Christian is the automatic default, and anyone who isn't one is anti-religious. Which is ridiculous.

1 person likes this

Also, believing in Satan or the Devil still puts you in the believing in-Judaism-Christianity-Islam camp.

Being none of those things is an option as well. 

1 person likes this

Dancing is incorrect. There are specific criteria for admissions both voluntary and involuntarily. Don't go around fomenting violence and you should be fine. 

depends, they will lock you up because it's not normal or conventional..

What, exactly, does my Satanism have to do with me being locked up? I live in the United States, which is a country that at least gives lip service to the idea of religious equality; I am permitted to practice however I wish. The only thing I'm in danger of "being locked up" for is my mental illness, but that's an entirely other kettle of fish. 

Also, just to be 100% clear, I don't believe in or venerate Satan. That isn't how I roll. I'm an atheist. I just happen to agree with LaVeyan Satanic praxis. 

I'm an atheist, but I admire what Satanists are doing in the western world these days.  I think they are a positive force.

And you know if this thread was about Christianity and people talked the shit about THAT they are about Satanism mods would be all over this preaching religious respect because all of the Christians would be whining like little bitches and crying about what people were saying about them.  At least all the Satanists here are respectfully responding to insulting commentary.

Thanks, Jarn. 

well not many people are Satanists. just saying to be careful, since it's not a common belief. your Obamacare or even private professionals wouldn't like it.

Can you cite a source for that statement? 

I somehow missed the part of the affordable care act dealing with not treating Satanists.  Good to know.  I will have to let my private practice doctor know to not treat me because I'm not religious.

Edited by koa
2 people like this

On 9/6/2015, 6:29:06, Mim said:

As a metalhead who was forced to drop out of college, I'm here to tell you that you can take this and tuck it up your old tan tailpipe. I might be an atheist Satanist, but at least I don't generalize about people based on the fucking music they listen to. Are you in high school?

As for my philosophical Satanism, it basically means that I do what I feel suits me best. If that means that I help someone because I feel they deserve it, then I do that. If it means I need to look after myself for awhile, I do that. I don't believe anything is sacred, but if anything were, it would be the self. After all, mine is the only existence over which I have any kind of control, so why would I bother policing others? 

If you have respectful questions, you may ask and I might answer. But if you can't keep a civil tongue, don't expect me to. 

Way to take my quote completely out of context. Re-read what I wrote and if it still eludes you maybe you should enroll back in school. Disregard that statement it doesn't represent how I feel (but quote it and attack it if you so wish to try to make me out like a mindless prick to anyone else to lazy to read what I wrote). College unfortunately doesn't teach people to be courteous enough of others enough to actually read/listen what they write/say before quoting them and twisting their words in order to take offense(self-loathing). Kindergarten does though, but that's another story for another day.

By the way, I'm not in highschool. I'm in graduate school for a natural science. Cheers.

Edited by RoadToRecovery

Nevermind I almost forgot to entertain the possibility that you did read my posts and understand them. But then took offense to the notion that I said the people I've met who believe in worshipping a horned beast are typically undereducated metal heads. Than told me that you were infact an undereducated metal head. Inwhich case, well, um, alright? :D

As far as self-centered behaviour being a positive force in the world. I say look at all of the corporate corruption or any sociopath(name your famous dictators here) and ask yourself if they abide readily to the tenants of satanism.

Edited by RoadToRecovery

Education doesn't equal intelligence. Absolutely nothing eludes me. Your generalization struck me as lazy, and taking a cheap shot at a group that's considered socially acceptable to look down on. That's what I was getting at. You're giving yourself too much credit if you think I was offended; eye-rolling annoyance and offense are two different things. And in any case, I'm not obligated to defend myself to you. 

I notice you didn't pick up on any of the other responses in this thread, like this very good point that Gearhead made:

On 9/10/2015 at 6:55 PM, Gearhead said:

The idea of Satan is found in the Hebrew Bible (שָּׂטָן, meaning "Adversary"). There are 13 references to the Adversary outside of the Book of Job, which is all about the bet that God made with Satan.

The way this conversation has shaped up, the assumption is that being a Christian is the automatic default, and anyone who isn't one is anti-religious. Which is ridiculous.

Have fun with your sense of superiority. I'm sure it pays the bills on some level. 

I'll agree to disagree. Rolling my eyes too much gives me migraine. 

Edited by Mim
1 person likes this