CrazyBoards.org

Catnapper

How long before bed do you take trazodone?

My pdoc has given me trazodone + ambien to deal with the insomnia caused by the abilify + lamictal + wellbutrin combo I'm on for BP II depression. If you're using trazodone for sleep, how long before bed do you take it? The pdoc says it doesn't work right away like Ambien so I'll need to take it some time (minutes? hours?) before bedtime.

Also, does trazodone leave you very drowsy the next day? I hate it that straight ambien is no longer enough for me, not since the abilify was added, since ambien left me normal the next day.

Hmm, my pdoc didn't say when to take it,only at bedtime. I take it at 10, and am in bed by 10:30. That said, tho, it hasn't done much for me, the seroquel xr has been useless as well. I hope it works for you, I haven't tried ambien, is that new for you?

No, the ambien's not new, I've been using it for a few years, and it worked great. But when the doc added abilify to get me out of a depressive episode, ambien alone was no longer enough, so I'm trying trazodone plus ambien.

Good lord. Ambien and Trazadone? I used to be on the immediate release Seroquel and Trazadone at night, and I was sleeping like 13 hours. I was on 150mgs, and I'd take it, then it'd take anywhere from 1-2 hours to fully kick in. My pdoc took me off the Trazadone because she said "it wasn't healthy to sleep that long". That and the fact that I was kinda groggy during the day. The Seroquel+Trazadone combo was the best sleep I've ever gotton in my life. When I shut my eyes, I was out cold until whenever I woke up. I didn't wake up in the middle of the night or anything, just solid sleep. Everyone is different of course, so it might be totally different for you. Good luck!

When did your pdoc say to take it? You've got to see how it affects you first. If your pdoc gave you latitude, you can experiment to find the ideal time for you.

My pdoc has given me trazodone + ambien to deal with the insomnia caused by the abilify + lamictal + wellbutrin combo I'm on for BP II depression. If you're using trazodone for sleep, how long before bed do you take it? The pdoc says it doesn't work right away like Ambien so I'll need to take it some time (minutes? hours?) before bedtime.

Also, does trazodone leave you very drowsy the next day? I hate it that straight ambien is no longer enough for me, not since the abilify was added, since ambien left me normal the next day.

I just started taking this (trazodone), and I take it and go to bed about 5 minutes later.  Works fine for me that way, and I slept a lot after taking it.  I am not drowsy after taking it.  I think though that if you didn't get enough sleep after taking it you'd be drowsy, but otherwise no, it hasn't made me drowsy.

I just started using trazodone for sleep this week. It's been working pretty well. I have found it puts me out within a half hour or so of taking it. I experienced the daytime drowsiness today, in fact, I went back to bed after feeding my dog and slept until 11am, but I'm fairly certain it is because I took it so late last night (I was babysitting my niece and nephews and didn't get home until after 11pm). It's giving me some pretty fun dreams though!

• Like 1

PDOC told me to take one hour and a half before bedtime but I'm having more trouble to start sleeping than usual, besides, this week I had a bunch of dreams and nightmare that I would remember very well during the morning. 

Is it possible that 50mg of trazodone is making it worst for sleep?

Compared to when I first started trazodone, I am not tired until I reach 250 mg.  Before that they get rid of hallucinations, with no tiredness.

I've been on Trazodone for a LONG time, started off at 25 mg way back when and currently holding at 100 mg. 

Since I like to wake up extra early to get in some exercise before work, I take it about 8 p.m. or so.  Generally I'm then asleep by 9:30 p.m. 

I have heard about people taking Ambien with it with success.  If/when I go through any insomnia issues even on Trazodone, I find I can either add in a Xanax or a Benadryl to kind of "kickstart" it back to normal.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but the secret with getting trazodone to knock you out is taking it with carbs/and or sugars. The more, the better, unfortunately. Eat junk food and you'll begin to feel that hypnotic effect kick in. Then jump in bed; it also seems you have a window of maybe 30 min. to an hour to get in bed and let it do its work. That's not to say it'll keep you asleep, and you may have some hangover in the morning, especially early in use, but it usually responds to caffeine. 

I take my trazodone an hour before I go to bed. I was on the trazodone + ambien combo before, the ambien did absolutely nothing to me. I've always loved trazodone, but what I find works best is taking melatonin (300mcg-1mg) 2 hours before I plan to go to bed, then take my trazodone an hour later, and I will be asleep in one hour. It works wonderfully.

I used to take trazadone about 20-30 minutes before sleep.  It worked that way for me.

Posted (edited)

Currently, I take it on an empty stomach at night, right before I get in bed.......Usually takes about 30-40 minutes to kick in..........Doc said it didn't matter whether I took it with food or not.

Edited by CrazyRedhead