Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

B-12 - Can you take too much?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone else take B-12?  Can you take too much?  How much is enough?

Or B-1?

Posted

B vitamins are water soluable vitamins which means that if you take more than your body needs it will be excreted in your urine and won't build up in your system.  You'll know when this is happening because your urine will be this nuclear yellow color.  ;) However some people believe that because your kidneys have to do more work filtering out all the excess vitamin, that you could theoretically do kidney damage in the long run.  I don't know if there are any studies backing that up or not. 

B12 Info

B1 Info

Posted

thanks for the info, crazgrrl!

All though I don't really understand the medical verbage I found what I needed in the links.

Posted

With B12 it's tricky to overdose, because of absorbtion issues - that's why older people have to have B12 injected (for, say, anemia) instead of given orally.

Posted

With B12 it's tricky to overdose, because of absorbtion issues - that's why older people have to have B12 injected (for, say, anemia) instead of given orally.

hey! i'm only 26!

(loves her B12 shots)

but yes, B12 is hard to absorb.  that's why it's best taken sublingually (under the tongue.)  (unless you're B12 blood levels are severly low and your doc orders shots, but that's a whole other matter.)

twinlab and some other cos make sublingual b12 "dots" they work very well for supplementing your levels.

Posted

Heya,

No clear evidence re. overdose, but please don't be the test case.

;)

Always a chance of overdose, depending on your metabolism and general vitamin intake.

To clear something up:

Some people are low on B12 because their stomachs lack an enzyme (a chemical) called "intrinsic factor" that helps the body absorb B12 from food and/or supplements.

For those people, swallowing a bunch of B12 is like swallowing some water.

That's pernicious anemia.

Those people *need* injections.

*Anyone* low on B12 has to have tests to see *why.*  If diet/supplements are no help after a bit (variable, I usually say 3 months), shots help.

FWIW.

Good luck,

--ncc--

Posted (edited)

From the B-12 link:

"There is some preliminary indication that vitamin B12 may be helpful in inhibiting a pre-cancerous condition in the lungs of smokers, that it might help ameliorate the symptoms of some neuropsychiatric disorders and that it might be useful in some with chronic fatigue and HIV disease. It has been suggested that vitamin B12 might help prevent some vascular diseases and breast cancer, based upon epidemiological and theoretical considerations."

I suppose this is good since I do smoke..... 

"There is some evidence that vitamin B12 can protect against hypersensitivity to sulfites. "

and on occassion have a glass of wine.........

"Claims that vitamin B12 can enhance exercise performance and that it is an "energizer" have not been tested and are based upon anecdotal accounts."

But this one has confused me..........

You hear all the time about ppl taking B-12 for it's "get up & go" effect.  I've noticed that it does help me get thru the day a little easier but no real energy boosts........

Does it help you with your energy level?

Edited by wakko926

Posted

"Claims that vitamin B12 can enhance exercise performance and that it is an "energizer" have not been tested and are based upon anecdotal accounts."

But this one has confused me..........

You hear all the time about ppl taking B-12 for it's "get up & go" effect.  I've noticed that it does help me get thru the day a little easier but no real energy boosts........

Does it help you with your energy level?

I get B12 shots because I have low blood levels despite taking supplements, and because I have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Do the shots help my energy level?  Oh hell yes, they are a god send.  Then again, I'm sick.  Do they enhance my exercise performance?  Heh.  Well, if my cfs ever fully goes into remission I'll let you know ;)

But, I thing, in general, when people talk about the energy from B12, it's more along the lines of what you said.  It helps you get through the day kinda stamina energy, not omg lets run a marathon kinda energy.

Posted

Does anyone else take B-12?

Posted

I've always taken B-Complex which has B-12 in it...I can't remember why I started taking B-Complex instead of B-12...It's been so long.

I'm anemic. I wonder if that's why...

Posted (edited)

If you want to take something you should just take a good multivitamin. Its got what you need (unless you have an absorption problem or on certain meds like ARVs). The best place to get your vitamins is through a good diet. And as people have said Vitamin B's are water soluble so most of the time you are wasting your money cause you just going to pee it out anyway and stressing out your body.

Eat a good diet, and you will get enough and more then just your Vitamin B12.

http://www.nal.usda....st/sr21w418.pdf - Food with Vitamin B12

And anaemia is not only from lack of Vitamin B12, if you taking B complex its not likely you are anaemic casue of B12. Rather check that out you may need an iron supplement.

As a dietician i usually only recommend a good multivitamin, omegas, folate in women and calcium in osteoperosis. Other nutrients all have nutrient interactions and you need to be carefull about how you take them. (not that some people don't need too, everybody is different so what is right for one person might not be right for another. There are variables to take into account (including your meds)

xoxox

Ash

Edited by Ashdene

Posted

If you have kidney issues, your kidney's filtering the excess might be an issue. But, for the most part you can't overdo it, according to my GP.

Same holds true for potassium and magnesium according to my cardiologist, as long as your kidneys are healthy.

By the way, my GP generally recommends 1000mcg of B12.

Posted (edited)

from what i remember if you take B12 everyday (1000mcg) it is like getting a shot every month, so it's really hard take to much of it from a pill.

i keep forgetting to ask doctors to add B12 to blood work....;)

Edited by cheesesquid