JerseyGirl134

Shit folks say about your autism

16 posts in this topic

There are threads like this in the anxiety and self-harm boards, I thought we might have some shit to share.

"Well you know what causes that, don't you?" (No, I don't, and neither do you.)

"Because your mother vaccinated you."

"You can't be autistic, you're in all AP classes."

"But you're so smart!"

"I would have never guessed you were crazy."

"I know how you feel." Usually followed by a speech about their self-diagnosed ADHD.

"Your parents just didn't raise you well."

"I totally have aspergers too! I've never seen a psychiatrist but I'm socially awkward and very smart." (As if being an aspie makes you a misunderstood genius. I have no clue how I didn't punch that person in the face.)

"You should smoke some weed."

"Don't take those crazy pills. The pharmaceutical industry just wants your money, and they don't help anyway. Do MDMA instead." (This was said about my depression, but it's so batshit I had to share)

"Do you know if you can get medical marijuana for that?" (My hometown is a drug town, in case you couldn't tell.)

"Girls can't be autistic."

"There's no such thing as autism."

"You remind me of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory."

"It's all in your head!" (Why do you think they're called mental illnesses?)

"You would do so much better in a country with socialized medicine for that. The American mental health system sucks." (Fuck no, I've read the posts from users in countries with socialized healthcare. And the care I've received here is [mostly] great, my pdoc is brilliant. And I am sure as fuck not turning this into a convo about politics.)

"You can always talk to me. I follow people on Tumblr who are autistic." (Almost every "autistic" person on that website is self-diagnosed and just wants attention. Fuck that website.)

"You have diagnosis privilege!" (Take a flying guess at which website this was said on.)

"That explains your obsession with books and anime." (Ding ding! This is the closest thing to an intelligent comment here.)

1 person likes this

"Like Rain Man?"

"So are you super good at math?"

"My friend has an Autistic kid. You don't seem Autistic to me."

"You're not autistic. You make eye contact."  (My psychiatrist.  He finally came around after I educated him.)

"Oh, So-and-so has Asperger's. You should meet him. I bet you'd get along."  (Either we will or we'll tear each other limb from limb in a mental no-holds-barred cage match with our lucha masks on backwards.)

"Do you get violent?" (Don't tempt me.)

"It's probably just teen hormones."  (My ex-wife, about our children's obvious spectrum traits.)

"You're an asshole."  (Pre-disclosure. Subsequent disclosure makes no difference; the opinion has already formed.)

"Is there a cure for that?"  (Is there a cure for idiocy?)

JerseyGirl - The whole self-diagnosis 'fashionable illness' thing drives me stark-staring mad, particularly when it comes to autism. I do have to say, though, that Asperger's does in fact, at least going by the numbers, make some of us misunderstood geniuses.

"You would have better social skills, if you actually liked people"

"You are such a waste of energy" 

"Try being more normal, maybe you'd like it" 

"You are like a robot, no wonder nobody likes you" 

"Why is it that you have so much knowledge and intelligence in (X topic) but you can't walk properly, or play games or sport?" 

"Have you tried, you know, stepping outside of your world?" 

"You have ears, so why don't you use them? Why do you hear everything wrong? No wonder nobody asks you to do anything" 

"You look like a constipated reject. Try having some facial expression" 

"Get more exercise, its great" 

"Stop enclosing yourself in that stupid hole of yours, there is a world out there" 

"You should try managing your weird behaviour, not acting like its normal and there's nothing wrong with it" 

And, I have heard the Sheldon Cooper comment countless times. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

"You're not autistic. You make eye contact."  (My psychiatrist.  He finally came around after I educated him.)

Nice. When I first told my long-time shrink, he said "You can't be Autistic; you understand sarcasm." 

He came around. He made an effort to learn more on the subject.

"Have you tried homoeopathy?" - Stick your rosemary and thyme up your backside, dude.

"You're not autistic" - Well thanks. That's where I've been making the mistake, instead of going to an expert on the subject with decades of experience I should have just came to you!

"It's a rare disease" - It's not a fucking disease, you nitwit!

20 hours ago, JerseyGirl134 said:

"You should smoke some weed."

"Don't take those crazy pills. The pharmaceutical industry just wants your money, and they don't help anyway. Do MDMA instead." (This was said about my depression, but it's so batshit I had to share)

"Do you know if you can get medical marijuana for that?" (My hometown is a drug town, in case you couldn't tell.)

God I these hippies trying to  bang to stones together. Illegal drugs: good, legal drugs: bad? What university did you graduate from again?

Edited by Southern Discomfort

16 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

"You would have better social skills, if you actually liked people"

"You are such a waste of energy" 

"You are like a robot, no wonder nobody likes you" 

"Why is it that you have so much knowledge and intelligence in (X topic) but you can't walk properly, or play games or sport?" 

"You have ears, so why don't you use them? Why do you hear everything wrong? No wonder nobody asks you to do anything" 

"You look like a constipated reject. Try having some facial expression" 

"Get more exercise, its great" 

"Stop enclosing yourself in that stupid hole of yours, there is a world out there" 

"You should try managing your weird behaviour, not acting like its normal and there's nothing wrong with it" 

And, I have heard the Sheldon Cooper comment countless times. 

HB - Criminy, where do you dig up these ugly-minded people?  No bloody wonder you feel so down, with shit like that slung at you.  It explains a great deal, and not one bit of it is actually about you - it's about them and their lack of ability to feel understanding or compassion for any other human being even slightly different from themselves.

Have you considered launching yourself into high Earth orbit and removing your space helmet in the vacuum? You should experience it sometime.

Yes, I have tried stepping outside "my world", and I have found your world to be so incomprehensibly irrational, capricious, inhospitable and cruel that I immediately went back inside.  

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Cerberus said:
  16 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

15 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Yes, I have tried stepping outside "my world", and I have found your world to be so incomprehensibly irrational, capricious, inhospitable and cruel that I immediately went back inside.  

In fact, every time I interact with you lot, I am stepping outside my world, and y'all have made it a thankless, bewildering, painful task. You are happy to tell me that I lack empathy, but you're quite incapable-or worse, unwilling-to make any effort to see things from my point of view. You can't even "live and let live." Worst of all, you can't accept the fact that I am better off without you and leave me alone.

I forgot about these gems:

"You're too pretty to be autistic."

"Have you tried going vegan?" (No thank you.)

"I bet you're just allergic to gluten." (Wtf?)

"I know how you feel. My brother's friend's cousin's boyfriend's friend's step-son is autistic." (Because that's exactly what being autistic is like)

21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

JerseyGirl - The whole self-diagnosis 'fashionable illness' thing drives me stark-staring mad, particularly when it comes to autism. I do have to say, though, that Asperger's does in fact, at least going by the numbers, make some of us misunderstood geniuses.

Yeah, I know. But these people just want to be viewed as misunderstood geniuses, and see Asperger's as a way to achieve that, along with an excuse for being the "socially awkward" *cough* assholes that they often are. If you want to viewed as smart, prove it.

I'm not the kind of person who gets offended easily, but if there's one thing that pisses me off, it's this self diagnosis "mental illness is so cute and quirky" bullshit. A bit off topic, but I see a couple of old "friends" from high school complaining about their self-diagnosed Social Anxiety on Tumblr. These girls were presidents of the Anime club. If you fucking choose to be the president of a club of twenty people, give speeches without stuttering once, and organize parties and movie nights at your own house, collect money from said people, purchase tickets and hand them out, you do not fucking have social anxiety.

Ah-hem. Needed to rant for a minute there. :)

22 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

I got that one from my mom for years. "You're too weird, that's why people don't like you." What the fuck about me is weird? I don't get it. She came around eventually.

"You look like you're angry all the time."

"You'd be so pretty if you smiled more!"

Fuck you, fuck you sideways, fuck you to death. Thank you for reminding me that, as a woman, my body belongs first and foremost to society and not to me, and that a woman who isn't pretty has no value. Thank you for suggesting that my face makes you uncomfortable in its natural state, and that I should make myself sick concentrating on regulating it every single second of my day so that you can feel relaxed. Thank you for the implied threat behind your words, that you're offended enough by my differences that you need, for your own good, to warn me to correct them.

I found this one gem from a pissed off wife who decided to bitch about her autistic husband on the internet, like you do.

"Aspie men can be very cruel. extreme self centernedess is their issue"

I think this woman may also be guilty of being very cruel if this post is to indicate anything.

Another great one, for which I do not have specific wording, is my mother's assumption that now that I know I'm Autistic, I can turn it off at will if it's inconvenient. 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Another great one, for which I do not have specific wording, is my mother's assumption that now that I know I'm Autistic, I can turn it off at will if it's inconvenient. 

Hmmm, idk. I think she's onto something. After I found out I can silence my cell phone, I silence it whenever I think my phone ringing will be inconvenient. TOTALLY makes sense. :P 

"Oh, so don't have empathy or emtions then?"

"You look so normal!"

"Oh, these are all just 'western world diseases' " - referring to ADHD/autism

"In our days, we didn't have all this bullshit with autism"

"Maybe you should eat glutenfree, I hear gluten causes ASD like symptoms"

"You're not autistic, my cousin is way worse and he's a real one!"

"Can adults be autistic?"

"But you're great at making eye contact" (geesh, thanks! Now ask me what it does to my brain :') )

1 person likes this

"Why do you always ask inappropriate questions?" My grandma 

"You're too smart to be autistic"

"You're too psychotic to be autistic" (Hello, have you not seen the DSM 5?? That criteria changed)