Anonymous1492

Can people recognize symptoms of psychosis in themselves?

45 posts in this topic

This is something I've been curious about for a while and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.  What I want to know is if people can recognize the symptoms of a psychosis in themselves, if they are oblivious to it, or if it can go either way depending on the person.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Anonymous1492
1 person likes this

When I get psychotic I don't have any insight, I don't know that I am till it's over, then I'm like,"oh, that wasn't real."

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Anonymous1492 said:

This is something I've been curious about for a while and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.  What I want to know is if people can recognize the symptoms of a psychosis in themselves, if they are oblivious to it, or if it can go either way depending on the person.

Thank you for your time.

Is there a reason you are asking?

My pdoc asks about symptoms. Sometimes I know. Sometimes I am oblivious. When you are aware you are having symptoms it is called "insight". It is a good thing to have insight.

42 minutes ago, wadjet said:

When I get psychotic I don't have any insight, I don't know that I am till it's over, then I'm like,"oh, that wasn't real."

Yes, that is me, too. I realize when I am coming out of psychosis. 

And it's an adjustment, and I am not sure what to believe.

Being on meds I can recognize psychotic symptoms better than when I wasn't on them.  It is hard to get them to go away when they happen, but for me I do have some insight to things as long as I am on meds.

I think my delusions are real mostly, though I am aware they might be extreme views that no one else agrees with, enough that I don't want to share them.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Being on meds I can recognize psychotic symptoms better than when I wasn't on them.  It is hard to get them to go away when they happen, but for me I do have some insight to things as long as I am on meds.

Same here..

Pre-medication I didn't know which way was up..was clueless to what was happening and would hold onto my version of reality for quite some time never really fully coming out of what I was experiencing..scary looking back on.

This might sound strange but when I have insight and can recognize that I'm having delusions I find it a lot harder to deal with because the doubts come. Is this true? Am I being tricked? Is someone controlling my thoughts and making me think this way and wants to trick me and confuse me? Am I being delusional or is it other people that don't know the truth? Yes I am being delusional, no I'm not. These are the types of thoughts that go through my head when my delusions come. I know I'm delusional but at the same time I think I'm not. 

When I've had no insight I am completely oblivious and are certain without a doubt that my experiences are real and true. There is no need for me to question myself and I don't stress myself trying to work out what is real and what isn't.

It's good to have insight but sometimes it can be harder than not having it.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

This might sound strange but when I have insight and can recognize that I'm having delusions I find it a lot harder to deal with because the doubts come. Is this true? Am I being tricked? Is someone controlling my thoughts and making me think this way and wants to trick me and confuse me? Am I being delusional or is it other people that don't know the truth? Yes I am being delusional, no I'm not. These are the types of thoughts that go through my head when my delusions come. I know I'm delusional but at the same time I think I'm not. 

When I've had no insight I am completely oblivious and are certain without a doubt that my experiences are real and true. There is no need for me to question myself and I don't stress myself trying to work out what is real and what isn't.

^^^THIS!

Exactly - the questioning makes it even harder.

Sometimes though, I'll think I'll have a good deal of insight but once the delusions go when I'm feeling better I think 'wow' I really was quite deluded then!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, coraline said:

Same here..

Pre-medication I didn't know which way was up..was clueless to what was happening and would hold onto my version of reality for quite some time never really fully coming out of what I was experiencing..scary looking back on.

Exactly.

For me I'm aware that it's not rational logic but I still believe in it 100%. And when I talk about them to docs I talk about them casually like they're the most normal thing ever and will joke about them. So I know it's something you don't tell everyone but I still think it's true. Like "oh I went to the mall, people read my mind and I drank coffee."

When I was severely delusional I had absolutely no clue. Now that I am on meds I can definitely tell what is a symptom and what is not. Basically it feels like I start to go down this long tunnel into a dream world and out of reality. Sometimes I can snap myself out of it. Other times I come back on my own after 15 minutes or so. 

On 1/7/2016 at 11:48 PM, Hester said:

^^^THIS!

Exactly - the questioning makes it even harder.

Sometimes though, I'll think I'll have a good deal of insight but once the delusions go when I'm feeling better I think 'wow' I really was quite deluded then!

In my opinion THIS is the worst thing about schizophrenia. Even when you are doing well you still question every fucking thought in your head. You are on an endless ride of reality checks and self-doubt. This is what drives you crazy more than anything else. At least the delusions are logical to you at the time they are happening. 

1 person likes this

Typically in my first few episodes I was completely unaware of what was real and what was not. After a while and during the process of coming out of psychosis from meds, I was able to see the delusions for what they were. While the delusions were still there even though I was healing. I had to systematically go through each one and destroy it. Now like one of the posters said. I am able to recognize anything delusional and esentially pull myself back out if I'm slipping. The slipping is usually due to lack of attention and reality checks. Putting in the work is important. And on top of that you need to be constantly aware of what's happening. It really is a challenge. But its better then being lost. You have to believe that you brought yourself to your current circumstances and that is simply the living challenge.

I also wanted to add the interesting similarity to not being able to know what's real or not. And the old addage that the greatest trick the devil ever played was pretending he wasn't there. Well he can't hide from me. My eyes are open.

Edited by Cherryarc
1 person likes this

On January 23, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Cherryarc said:

Typically in my first few episodes I was completely unaware of what was real and what was not. After a while and during the process of coming out of psychosis from meds, I was able to see the delusions for what they were. While the delusions were still there even though I was healing. I had to systematically go through each one and destroy it. Now like one of the posters said. I am able to recognize anything delusional and esentially pull myself back out if I'm slipping. The slipping is usually due to lack of attention and reality checks. Putting in the work is important. And on top of that you need to be constantly aware of what's happening. It really is a challenge. But its better then being lost. You have to believe that you brought yourself to your current circumstances and that is simply the living challenge.

I also wanted to add the interesting similarity to not being able to know what's real or not. And the old addage that the greatest trick the devil ever played was pretending he wasn't there. Well he can't hide from me. My eyes are open.

Thank you for sharing I needed all of this on today 

I suffer with severe anxiety.. Official diagnosis is ptsd and mood disorder nos. my son is schizophrenic. He's been off his meds for months won't take them at all. He's deep in a delusion it's so sad and scary, yet very frustrating. I'm unraveling by the day, becoming depressed and worried sick! My behavior feels out of my control as a reaction to his pain. I am very irritable, frustration, and hostile. I want him to get better, but I can't save him. I wish I could. I can only attempt to save myself cause I feel like I'm cracking up seriously. I throw fits, I yell, I curse, I cry I break things. I beg him to go get help and back on meds. He's not budging. I almost think he wants to make me suffer even more having to be exposed to all of his mental disarray. I feel helpless and hopeless 

Does your pdoc have any suggestions as to what you can do, and/or how you can your son?  How old is your son?

Are you in therapy?  Sometimes they can be good mediators between 2 people, as well as help you see things from a different perspective (which may or may not help, but maybe).

I hope things start to get better for you.

Insight is this weird little thing that shows up for me at the worst possible times to make me see the destruction I've left in my wake which makes me think it's being done on purpose to further in fucking with me.  But to answer the question, when I'm psychotic, no, I have zero insight.  And even when I'm not florid, I tend to not have much insight then either... insight's a sneaky little bitch that points out that my life is ruins whenever she feels like. 

Whenever I questioned my psychosis I just created another delusion to explain and validate the main delusion.

Basically. "I cant have cancer for 10 years untreated right?" "i must have a really good immune system thats putting up a good fight"

Edited by Darkplace

Not. A. Clue.... at the time... now I have much more insight... x

Usually  have thought something very extreme is in need of extreme reaction. ..I know there is a term can't think of it. Very legit, can see I might be portrayed as acting abruptly but oh well because everyone Is being stupid or blind 

My pdoc calls my "delusions* the " book of (my name)". I don't recognize it as a delusion. However, I do recognize delusions thoughts lilemy parents are spyin on me or there are cameras in the smoke detector. 

1 person likes this

I recognize that the voices and sounds I hear are hallucinations. As far as I know, I have not had delusions. 

I don't have insight and don't think I'm psychotic at the time. I tend to only push my delusions on people close to me, though, so maybe that indicates some insight. I tried very hard to convince my fiancee that my religious delusions were real and that she should have faith in me. 

On 15/02/2016 at 7:41 PM, Darkplace said:

Whenever I questioned my psychosis I just created another delusion to explain and validate the main delusion.

Basically. "I cant have cancer for 10 years untreated right?" "i must have a really good immune system thats putting up a good fight"

Your really just saying one thing, and then agreeing with it right after. If you want to put an end to the cycle, just disagree.

On 25/02/2016 at 5:54 AM, Cherryarc said:

Your really just saying one thing, and then agreeing with it right after. If you want to put an end to the cycle, just disagree.

I couldn't comprehend any other explanation. It was a mental and physical deterioration I was experiencing and it seems I was investing my sanity in it being correct.

After being so scared I was close to dying, I finally told my Mum, and then the doctor opened my eyes....I made the decision that I couldn't trust my thoughts, so I lived with massive doubts about everything for about 3 years, like crazy fears about everything, I'm going to forget my name, where I live, how to do things etc, accompanied by horrible feelings of dread, paranoia, mistrust, confusion in everyday situations. When I went gluten free things got better, but I guess I was hoping for complete normality and that won't happen as I've been cognitively damaged.