Wooster

I wanted to self harm but instead I...

29 posts in this topic

We had a huge thread of a few years of "today I wanted to self harm but instead I did this" so people could get a list of safe ideas to help manage self harm urges.

for example...

today I wanted to self harm but instead I watched videos of baby sloths and golden retriever puppies and chatted with a friend on line

3 people like this

Adding back some of my old ideas:

today I wanted to self harm... instead I,

went for a walk. took a painting class. called my mom and talked about what made me feel upset. ate something healthy. went for a bike ride/hike/drive. jumped in the ocean. Used "delay, distract, decide" to see if I still wanted to SI a time period later. thought up drills for my martial arts classes. got my "rush" breaking boards in a seminar class instead. learned how to use a new computer skill. made a new recipe. took a nap instead.

1 person likes this

Today I wanted to self harm but instead I practiced meditation and then read Pride and Prejudice.

Wednesday I wanted to self-harm and instead I turned on the shower and sat down on the shower floor for an hour under the hot water.

1 person likes this

I like the idea for this thread! Very positive.

I'm new here & I don't know if my self-harming behavior is more of an OCD symptom or what, but unfortunately I engaged in the behavior tonight  :/

Some things that have worked in the past are talking about it with people I trust & snapping a hair tie or bracelet on my wrist. I may also try a meditation meeting in the 12-step program I'm in.

Today, I wanted to self-harm, but instead I drank some coffee, got some work done, and put really nice-smelling lotion on my hands.

Thanks for starting this thread, @Wooster!

Edited by heilmania

hello .  i listen to music and rock in my rocker.  at the day program i have music therapy and a great time banging on the drum.  t tended to isolate but now i do a walk or email my therapist between visits.  tou are not alone .  dana

You're welcome, @heilmania, but it's not my idea.

The original thread started back in 2012ish by Titania, It had hundreds and hundreds of responses. Sadly, we lost it due to a privacy issue.

1 person likes this

I wanted to self harm today. Instead, I took myself out to breakfast and then came home and spent time outside in the sunshine with my dog.

Way to go!

Today I wanted to self harm, but instead I read this thread and tried to come up with better ideas.

1 person likes this

Made a cup of tea and buried myself in work

Today, instead of self harming i listened to music whilst drawing. It was very therapeutic c: 

Going to sleep. And planning on starting tomorrow positively.

Instead I

Watched Fringe and then drove around listening to Kesha.

Instead I took a Xanax. I was feeling severely out of control. I felt I was about to hurt myself or a family member. 

Called my mom. Even from over 500 miles away, she always makes me feel better. 

picked up some crayola markers and drew flowers all over my arms and legs (avoiding scars of course)

instead I did some crochet, texted with a friend, did laundry, took a bath, had dinner

I wish I could say these things helped.  It feels like I'm just delaying the inevitable.  But I tell myself if at each moment I just delay it a little more it will be ok.

2 people like this

Delaying is a reasonable strategy @Distant Rabbit... apparently much like my response here! 

1 person likes this

Last time I posted on here I was able to delay SI for a couple days- not great but better than nothing, I guess.

Now I'm trying to distract/delay by crocheting and watching TV.  

I called my boyfriend and spent the night at his house, where I would be under supervision the whole time. 

I watched a movie and that helped distract me.

I wrote in my journal.

Listened to sad songs and cried.

Went for a walk.

Exercised.

Took a long shower/bath.

These seem to work for me. Not always, but most of the time. Although I know that they're just distractions and not solutions.