CrazyBoards.org

Wooster

I wanted to self harm but instead I...

We had a huge thread of a few years of "today I wanted to self harm but instead I did this" so people could get a list of safe ideas to help manage self harm urges.

for example...

today I wanted to self harm but instead I watched videos of baby sloths and golden retriever puppies and chatted with a friend on line

• Like 3

Adding back some of my old ideas:

today I wanted to self harm... instead I,

went for a walk. took a painting class. called my mom and talked about what made me feel upset. ate something healthy. went for a bike ride/hike/drive. jumped in the ocean. Used "delay, distract, decide" to see if I still wanted to SI a time period later. thought up drills for my martial arts classes. got my "rush" breaking boards in a seminar class instead. learned how to use a new computer skill. made a new recipe. took a nap instead.

• Like 1

Wednesday I wanted to self-harm and instead I turned on the shower and sat down on the shower floor for an hour under the hot water.

• Like 1

I like the idea for this thread! Very positive.

I'm new here & I don't know if my self-harming behavior is more of an OCD symptom or what, but unfortunately I engaged in the behavior tonight  :/

Some things that have worked in the past are talking about it with people I trust & snapping a hair tie or bracelet on my wrist. I may also try a meditation meeting in the 12-step program I'm in.

Today, I wanted to self-harm, but instead I drank some coffee, got some work done, and put really nice-smelling lotion on my hands.

Thanks for starting this thread, @Wooster!

Edited by heilmania

hello .  i listen to music and rock in my rocker.  at the day program i have music therapy and a great time banging on the drum.  t tended to isolate but now i do a walk or email my therapist between visits.  tou are not alone .  dana

You're welcome, @heilmania, but it's not my idea.

The original thread started back in 2012ish by Titania, It had hundreds and hundreds of responses. Sadly, we lost it due to a privacy issue.

• Like 1

I wanted to self harm today. Instead, I took myself out to breakfast and then came home and spent time outside in the sunshine with my dog.

Made a cup of tea and buried myself in work

Today, instead of self harming i listened to music whilst drawing. It was very therapeutic c: 

Instead I took a Xanax. I was feeling severely out of control. I felt I was about to hurt myself or a family member. 

instead I did some crochet, texted with a friend, did laundry, took a bath, had dinner

I wish I could say these things helped.  It feels like I'm just delaying the inevitable.  But I tell myself if at each moment I just delay it a little more it will be ok.

• Like 2

Delaying is a reasonable strategy @Distant Rabbit... apparently much like my response here! 

• Like 1

Last time I posted on here I was able to delay SI for a couple days- not great but better than nothing, I guess.

Now I'm trying to distract/delay by crocheting and watching TV.  

I called my boyfriend and spent the night at his house, where I would be under supervision the whole time. 

I watched a movie and that helped distract me.

I wrote in my journal.

Listened to sad songs and cried.

Went for a walk.

Exercised.

Took a long shower/bath.

These seem to work for me. Not always, but most of the time. Although I know that they're just distractions and not solutions.