Bueler

Allergy shots

6 posts in this topic

I just started allergy shots, and I have 2 questions for those that have gotten them.

They measure my reaction 20-30 minutes after my shot, but hours later when I get home from the doctor it gets bigger and spreads out.  Is this normal?

Second question:  how delayed can a systemic reaction be?  like, can you have one 10 hours later, or is it only right after you get the shot that you have to worry?

Thanks!

FWIW ...

I don't get allergy shots, but if I did get them and have a reaction hours after I got them, I would tell the DR ASAP.

I do not think it is normal that something gets bigger and spreads out after you are home for awhile.

Not sure how long a systemic reaction could take to happen.

So basically my advice it to tell your DR about all these things happening to you.  They don't sound normal to me.

So apparently that's normal, and you don't have a very big chance of having a systemic reaction after 30 minutes.

Haven't noticed it helping my allergy symptoms yet though... I guess time will tell.

I'm glad it is all working out!

I had allergy shots for years as a kid, and then again a couple of years ago as an adult. It's normal for the injection site to look as if the contents of the shot have spread out under your skin after a couple of hours. It's supposed to do that. If the serum just sits under your skin one spot in a hard gumball-like lump, it's very painful, and usually itches, and you mght want to call your doc.

As for reactions to shots, I had one that put me in the emergency room once, and it started within 15 minutes. I was in my doctor's waiting room. Always, always stay for the 30 minute wait.

Oh, and it will be several months before you know if this is really going to help. It takes time to build the immunity. It helped me immensely when I was a kid. As an adult, after the allergic reaction, I had to stop the shots before I saw any benefit.

On 2/27/2016 at 11:24 PM, Bueler said:

I just started allergy shots, and I have 2 questions for those that have gotten them.

They measure my reaction 20-30 minutes after my shot, but hours later when I get home from the doctor it gets bigger and spreads out.  Is this normal?

I know this answer is a bit late, but yes, it's quite normal. I find that asking for some hydrocortizone cream or ointment to be rubbed over the injection site right afterward can be really helpful. I'm getting the big shots now (10cc) every six to eight weeks for birch pollen in one arm and grass pollen in the other arm. A swollen itchy red lump forms under the injection site and it lingers for days afterward. I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it. And it will.