IcePrincess88

How to sleep with pain?!?

22 posts in this topic

You might think this is suited to the "Sleep Disorders" board, but if you have acute or chronic pain then you know our sleep is nothing like pain-free people. Ok, as some people may already know, I have Chronic low back pain(no accident, just alot of fancy medical congenital stuff). I'm currently on Robaxin 500mgs 4-6 times a day(can take two at a time), Butran 20mcg/hour patch, and Norco 10/325 up to 3 times a day. I recently started seeing a chiropracter, so this is told me this. He told me that it was better for my back if I sleep on my back or side. This was a problem because I'm a mostly stomach sleeper. So I've been sleeping on my stomach the last 4 nights, and OMG! Even on pretty strong sleep meds and pain meds, I wake up so many times at night because of my back hurting and changing positions. It wasn't like this when I was sleeping on st omach.. Can you guys tell me how you sleep with acute or chronic pain??? Any tips I might not know about here??? I can't keep sleeping like this!

I'm sorry for all the pain you are in.

I have a bad back also and I can not for the life of me sleep on my stomach anymore.  It tightens my back up so much that it is sore in the morning (if I happen to roll over to my stomach in my sleep) and I need a muscle relaxer right away.  I also use a lot of pillows, to keeping me on my right side.

But I would never choose to sleep on my stomach.  Always the right side for me, and never had problems with that.

2 people like this

I'm a stomach sleeper, too, it's been hard trying to find a comfortable position otherwise. I've found that sleeping on my back I awake with excruciating pain. I don't see where that's helpful.

Anyway, that said, have you tried a pillow, or body pillow, between your knees while on your side? That's supposed to help align the spine. I use one pillow between my knees, then another pillow under my top arm, so I'm not slumping downward in the upper part of my body (I hope that made sense). Anything to keep me from twisting my back while I sleep. 

I mostly have standing back pain, but I'm finding it harder and harder to gracefully get out of bed, it hurts so much.

Good luck.

1 person likes this

What about memory foam over your mattress? You can get it for about $99 at the most, and it's supposed to help really well.

I need to get some, my bed sucks.

Pain sucks. I had many sleepless nights when I wrecked my shoulder.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, San said:

What about memory foam over your mattress? You can get it for about $99 at the most, and it's supposed to help really well.

I need to get some, my bed sucks.

Pain sucks. I had many sleepless nights when I wrecked my shoulder.

I have 2 memory foams on my bed! It's just not helping for some reason.

I use one pillow between my knees, then another pillow under my top arm, so I'm not slumping downward in the upper part of my body (I hope that made sense).

That makes total sense.  I do that except the pillow is next to me so I don't slump downward.

IcePrincess ... I really hope you find relief soon ... chronic pain sucks.

Tens unit?  It helps although I often wonder if its just "I feel so much better after hitting myself in the head and stopping"

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, HAL9000 said:

Tens unit?  It helps although I often wonder if its just "I feel so much better after hitting myself in the head and stopping"

You're right ... a tens unit might help.  I've one of those on my lower back with my neurologist.  The first/second time I used it, it worked great.  After that though it lost it's touch and didn't really help.  I have heard of them working well much longer for others.  Physical therapy has them here, not sure if you could get a prescription for PT so you could try it.

OR, on Amazon you can buy them ... there are many kinds but they do the same basically ... (some are pricey, others aren't):

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tens+unit

1 person likes this

I had to deal with chronic pain for a while.  I went to the Pain Doc in our area that was "Top Doctor in the area" some yearly magazine poll.  Anyway I think it was at a point where Doctors we getting really worried about people seeking narcotics and I wasn't picking up on his concern until I told him how I got my doctor to write Alergic to Vicodin because the stuff just made me feel like barfing.  I don't know how I got on that topic but the point is that there are doctors who specialize in taking care of pain problems.  And its not just narcotics that make you want to barf AND make it (almost) impossible to poop.  There are some other things like Lyrica and Gabapaten *Neither of which I can take.  The lyrica just made me non functional.  Like I couldn't drive a car.  I did those long time (lasting) injections but the stuff he tried on me that was supposed to last a month lasted a week.  So, that wasn't practical. 

9 hours ago, HAL9000 said:

I had to deal with chronic pain for a while.  I went to the Pain Doc in our area that was "Top Doctor in the area" some yearly magazine poll.  Anyway I think it was at a point where Doctors we getting really worried about people seeking narcotics and I wasn't picking up on his concern until I told him how I got my doctor to write Alergic to Vicodin because the stuff just made me feel like barfing.  I don't know how I got on that topic but the point is that there are doctors who specialize in taking care of pain problems.  And its not just narcotics that make you want to barf AND make it (almost) impossible to poop.  There are some other things like Lyrica and Gabapaten *Neither of which I can take.  The lyrica just made me non functional.  Like I couldn't drive a car.  I did those long time (lasting) injections but the stuff he tried on me that was supposed to last a month lasted a week.  So, that wasn't practical. 

I have HORRIBLE opiod constipation! I know it's one of the downside of pain meds, but I'd rather be constipated than in pain

4 hours ago, IcePrincess88 said:

I have HORRIBLE opiod constipation! I know it's one of the downside of pain meds, but I'd rather be constipated than in pain

Don't want to go off on a tangent, but I had to pipe up. The other day I saw a commercial for a pill that is specifically designed to help with opiod-induced constipation.  I just filed it away as something to look at next time I'm on narcotic pain pills.  I think it's called movantik.

Yeah they have a medicine now just for opiod constipation, but I'm scared it'l cause diarrhea and I def dont want that

Well, for me it's been a long term issue, it got somewhat better when I got dx'd with sleep apnea (obstructive kind-OSA) and began CPAP therapy. Then my wrists geared up, so I got dx'd with CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) and use splints to sleep, I have a ton fo pillows on my bed though. Because I am missing a leg when I lay on my left side, the right leg would drop unnaturally low, so having a pillow - bought a big ass body pillow from walmart for under ten bucks - and using it with a head pillow, (one of the $30 gel type pillows that didn't give my head enough neck support, it's great for going under the body pillow) I can get enough support so that my leg, from knee to bottom of right foot, are all in alignment. That helps a lot. but it's not enough.I have to have a like throw pillow up by my head pillow (one of those bamboo covered ones, I like it, has memory foam in it and I use that as my main head pillow) and I have that lying partly off the bed onto the nightstand so that I can have my hand up by my head and not be too high but just right. That's not all, I have to have a second squared puffy throw pillow, it goes under my right arm and that helps to stop pain in my abdomen/side meat area so that it doesn't go numb in my wrist and doesn't hurt my side meat. That is the only way I can sleep on my left side. When I can sleep on the right side it's just having pillows up by my head for my right forearm and wrist to be supported and the one under the left wrist/arm (the puffy throw pillow) and I can only tolerate it for an hour or two max before I wake up needing to turn over. It takes me at least 20 minutes before I am done adjusting shit to the point I can sleep. And don't get me started on the covers and fans....Ugh! Needless to say sleep is elusive for me at times. As for the OIC (opiod induced const.)my pain dr rec'd miralax and so I take that, but you have to take it daily. That helps. As does having a few dried prunes if I have gut pain. I never have more than 4 prunes. (Don't ask) Anyway, youjust have to dick around until you find a routine that works, even if it only works for an hour or two and then you have to fuck around until you can relax again and nod off. I feel for you IcePrincess and everyone else battling chronic pain as well as MI.

we've found that watching our activity levels during the day is also helpful: not doing too much but also not doing too little. changing positions fairly frequently and watching our posture is good, as well as engaging in a series of gentle stretches. we also use pillows in the bed to help prop and support. sometimes having a heating pad is good too, especially in the winter (the house gets pretty chilly, especially at night).

but there are times when nothing works...and we end up sleepless, in pain and an extreme crank. even then, some self-soothing techniques can be helpful to minimize the crankiness so we don't take it out (too much) on other ppl.

we suppose that this process is trial and error, individually tailored. good luck, IcePrincess; we hope you find some solid solutions.

On 3/7/2016 at 4:58 PM, IcePrincess88 said:

You might think this is suited to the "Sleep Disorders" board, but if you have acute or chronic pain then you know our sleep is nothing like pain-free people. Ok, as some people may already know, I have Chronic low back pain(no accident, just alot of fancy medical congenital stuff). I'm currently on Robaxin 500mgs 4-6 times a day(can take two at a time), Butran 20mcg/hour patch, and Norco 10/325 up to 3 times a day. I recently started seeing a chiropracter, so this is told me this. He told me that it was better for my back if I sleep on my back or side. This was a problem because I'm a mostly stomach sleeper. So I've been sleeping on my stomach the last 4 nights, and OMG! Even on pretty strong sleep meds and pain meds, I wake up so many times at night because of my back hurting and changing positions. It wasn't like this when I was sleeping on st omach.. Can you guys tell me how you sleep with acute or chronic pain??? Any tips I might not know about here??? I can't keep sleeping like this!

Adding Vistiral to the narcotics can make them work better.  When I was in some serious pain and taking vicodin I learned too late that when it says "Take 1 or 2 every 4 hours" its not a big deal if you take them every 3 hours and 45 minutes.  Once a nurse clued me in (I know I'm dumb) it made it possible to get 7+ hours of sleep with only one OUCH wake up a night.  I know I sound like a zealot about Vistral but it does seem to work to improve the pain (When combined with Narcotics) and by itself it seems to do a mighty fine job on Anxiety.

I might need to try that. I couldn't do the back sleeping guys!!! I gave in and up. It made the pain soo much worse even with plenty of pillows. I was waking up multiple times at night in horrible pain. So I'm back on my stomach now. It feels a lot better!! 

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, nervousbat said:

I'm thinking of getting a different pillow but don't know what kind to get. Right now I just have ordinary pillows and neither the cushy or the firm one seem to help

Have you tried these?

https://www.mypillow.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXHFIuRvARBmQ8DisqC7LgTAjEsyMi2JddvcgCQxBqdcaApKE8P8HAQ?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXHFIuRvARBmQ8DisqC7LgTAjEsyMi2JddvcgCQxBqdcaApKE8P8HAQ

Personally never tried this kind because I can't afford them.  If I did ever get one though, I would watch the commercials on TV where in this commercial you can order BOGO free.  They give you a promo code, and then you apply it when checking out.  Then with the promo code it includes free shipping.  That is a great deal for these.

Edited by melissaw72
1 person likes this

I have seen stories on the news talking about lawsuits and settlements about this company. They had to take all health claims off their website and advertising.  You may want to google them before buying.

Ice, I'm curious: just as an experiment, have you tried taking the memory foam toppers off, to see if a firmer surface helps at all? I'm a stomach, and sometimes side, sleeper too, and it jacks my back around to sleep on things that are too soft. Though if I side-sleep, too hard is a big issue.

Another thing that really helped after my back was injured in 2015 was muscle relaxants, specifically Flexeril. Have you tried that?

49 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Another thing that really helped after my back was injured in 2015 was muscle relaxants, specifically Flexeril. Have you tried that?

I second this.