iwishididnthaveanhedonia

losing weight- any ideas?

63 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, confused said:

Flash, I know it is more complicated than a calorie is a calorie.

Many people have trouble with diets because of too many calories not because they are in starvation mode. If what you are saying about no further weight loss is true, how do people starve to death?

Protein can make you feel full longer. I try to eat more protein. When I started looking at my macros I realized I could eat a higher %. 

Ketogenic diets are one type.. They do work well for some people. I am not arguing with that. I just don't think they are the answer for everyone.

A diet should be a lifestyle change and I can't see myself eating like that forever.

I have heard people mistakenly say Atkins died of a heart attack. I think it bears repeating that just is not true.

I made a lengthy reply, but the system ate it (I've been having issues with my iPad staying connected to the Internet lately). 

Long answer short: you don't die because you lose weight; you die because there are certain minimums of fat, protein, and calories that are needed to sustain life, and you cannot cheat those requirements forever. Your body will actually hold onto some of its fat stores until the bitter end, as it doesn't relinquish fat so easily. 

Protein does well on the satiety index. White fish did best, and beef also performed admirably. Eggs and cheese were a bit lower, perhaps owing to the high fat content. The worst performers were ice cream, potato chips, yogurt, peanuts, mars bars, doughnuts, cake, and croissants. In general, I think foods high in protein, water content, and fiber are probably most likely to keep you full the longest. Some say fat helps long-term. IDK, but a few almonds or macadamia nuts often curbs any hunger I might have between meals, and I never eat more than about 1 oz combined in a day (170-200 calories).

I don't think you need to adopt one diet and make it a permanent 'lifestyle.' I lost weight the fastest by juicing, but it is not something I'd ever consider doing long-term. But I'd consider it again to drop some weight fast. I think you can easily change diets once you reach your weight loss goal. Of course you probably need to adopt some kind of maintenance plan, as people tend to regain all the weight they lost (and then some) once they abandon their diet. But if you feel most comfortable with sticking with one plan the whole way, then by all means choose that route. Keto would be hard for me, because I like fruit too much, but I'd consider using it for a short period. 

1 person likes this

Oh, man, I hate when I lose my posts.

i am bowing out. 

i am really not one to be arguing about weight loss.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/health/weight-loss-circadian-rhythms-drayer/

This is a very interesting article about a pair of studies that show how meal timing affects weight loss. The studies disprove the 'calories in, calories out' model that the food and beverage industries (and government and nutrition "experts") have been pushing on us for decades. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Flash said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/health/weight-loss-circadian-rhythms-drayer/

This is a very interesting article about a pair of studies that show how meal timing affects weight loss. The studies disprove the 'calories in, calories out' model that the food and beverage industries (and government and nutrition "experts") have been pushing on us for decades. 

Thank you for posting!  I think that is a really great link!

Edited by melissaw72
cant spell

Yes - I find this to be completely true. Better to have a really big, full breakfast & solid lunch with fiber & protein and then a light dinner consisting of mainly veggies/light protein like fish. The snacks (such as an apple/peanut butter or hummus with carrots are great suggestions as well). Tea before bed is a nice addition.

My problem is that I'm almost never hungry in the morning. I think some people are more suited to a lunch&dinner cycle than a breakfast&lunch one. Perhaps our rhythms vary? 

7 hours ago, Flash said:

My problem is that I'm almost never hungry in the morning. I think some people are more suited to a lunch&dinner cycle than a breakfast&lunch one. Perhaps our rhythms vary? 

I agree with this that is could possibly be true.

I was just reading something about this and it sounded interesting.  I can't find that article but if you go to this link below, there are a lot of articles about losing weight and how our circadian rhythms are involved.

http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=losing weight rhythms

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I agree with this that is could possibly be true.

I was just reading something about this and it sounded interesting.  I can't find that article but if you go to this link below, there are a lot of articles about losing weight and how our circadian rhythms are involved.

http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=losing weight rhythms

I can never find a sleep rhythm when I'm symptomatic. But when I'm in remission, I naturally fall into a schedule, even if it's not perfect.

My Endo put me on a diet that worked.  "The Man Diet" is where you eat protean within an hour of waking up.   Eggs, meat etc.   Thats it.   If you can handle extra try to make breakfast the big meal.   Lunch just whatever and Dinner attempt to make that the smallest meal.   If you can handle a third thing try to stop eating at 6 pm.  ie no 9PM dinner.

If you just do the first thing (And your male) this should work.   Its all about metabolics.

If your female there are some diets that work and the one that is the easiest is the "Yes Diet"  I don't remember the particulars but I think its something like this.  8 cups of water a day and 30 grams of fiber.   Whatever you do for breakfast, lunch and dinner is up to you.   The same Endo said this was the easiest diet because it doesn't forbid things and its not an annoying count calories run on treadmills all day thing.

One thing that I personaly advise is to not weigh yourself all the time.  Both of these diets are slow but sure.  Weighing yourself everyday will just cause a lot of anxiety because its not a loose 10 pounds in a week thing.   It is a loose weight at a safe steady rate and not have to ruin your body with those diets that go up down up down in weight.   Plus no Zoomba required!

I think its helps to do something physical.   But has nothing to do with diet.  Treadmill for half an hour (Or work up to that) and try to do it 3 or 4 times a week.   Yes, its boring.   This is where earphones and a phone full of music or talk radio or whatever comes in handy.  It makes the time fly.

I like weighing myself every day. I log it in my calendar app, which forces me to look at what I need to do for the day. Plus I can respond to changes by varying what I eat. It goes out the window when my MI is seriously screwing with me, unfortunately. I also like logging what I eat every day. I don't count calories or weigh things. I tend to eat about the same amount each day, unless I'm drinking all the time, in which case I eat less than half as much. There are a few things that cause me to overeat: pizza, Kraft dinner, spaghetti, crescent rolls, turkey dinner, salmon loaf/patties with cheese sauce, veggies, and boiled potatoes, a typical breakfast or eggs Benedict, and maybe fondue.

It basically boils down to the combination of high-carb and high-fat together, for the most part. Ice cream will stall my weight loss, and desserts like pie and bread pudding will cause weight gain. Cutting out grains, added sugar, and alcohol works for me.

FWIW, sourdough bread is a better choice than whole wheat, and potato salad is a better choice than freshly-cooked hot potatoes. Getting rid of sweet drinks and foods, whether natural or artificial is a good plan, as is throwing out all "vegetable" oils (soybean, canola, corn, safflower, etc.). Don't buy packaged food, i.e., pretty much everything in the aisles of the grocery store. And prepare your own meals from scratch as much as possible. Condiments, pickles, and sauces are another matter. They're often decent enough. 

Don't ever buy anything lowfat or nonfat unless you have something like familial hypercholesterolemia. Also, some people are sensitive to nightshades (potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants), so you'll want to monitor to see if those are an issue for you. Rely on herbs, spices, and aromatics to bring your food to life. And don't forget to enjoy your food. If it's uninteresting, you are doing something wrong. 

Anyway, that's my 2¢.

1 hour ago, HAL9000 said:

One thing that I personaly advise is to not weigh yourself all the time. 

Not weighing myself all the time has helped me not obsess over my weight ... I got rid of the scale.  I'll get weighed at DR offices, and on the same scale ... so for me, I get weighed every 3 months at the GI DRs office on their scale.  Makes things consistent.

The one exception is that sometimes I like to know at least if I am headed in the right direction (losing weight vs gaining).  I see DRs all the time and will weight myself in one of those places to get an idea.  But otherwise I don't weight myself.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

I also like logging what I eat every day. I don't count calories or weigh things.

Same with me ... don't count calories or anything.  Just write down the food and the time I ate it.  I used to have a problem with snacking and I was eating up to 10 times a day (when I was first recording things).  And it wasn't helping.  Now I eat between 4-5 times a day.  Not sure if it totally works in terms of weight loss, but at least I am not snacking all the time like I used to.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Ice cream will stall my weight loss

If I want to put on weight fast, all I need to do is eat a few pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.  Or really any ice cream.  And then the weight starts coming on all at once.

I did this as an experiment to see if it was causing weight gain with me (I was ruling things out), and I deeply regret this experiment.

I agree with @Flash on everything else written in the last 3 paragraphs.

Here's what's been working for me: I run 1 mile everyday (no matter how long it takes... and I do huff and puff hard) and I eat small amounts of healthy food (or at least not something terrible for you like pizza) when I get hungry. To shrink my stomach so that when I do eat, I am fine with a small amount. I lost 6 lbs in about almost 2 weeks. Although randomly, I gained an inch in the belly and boobs and butt. Not sure how that works :(