Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

philosophin

What have YOU been avoiding lately?

Recommended Posts

I thought us social phobics could share what we've been avoiding lately.  I'll start.  I've been avoiding getting my hair colored for months because I dread the several hours I will have to spend in the chair, making small talk with the stylist.  BURN IT WITH FIRE.  And I go to a salon with no appointment system, so I never know who'll I'll end up with.  It's like social Russian Roulette and it's horrible lol.

What about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going outside and walking around.

I've been avoiding wondering what my weight is, but today I think I got a reality check.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking a woman who I feel and think is overall a pretty  awesome person to go hiking for a few days. She is just really nice to be around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also been avoiding watching my weight.  (I get weighed Jun 2 so i have to start to watch my eating at least until then and hopefully I will continue to do it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philosophin, I relate to avoiding hairdressers/hair stylists. For a long while I just didn't get my hair cut or have anything done to it because of this. Recently I cut it myself ... and I'm not going to a professional to get it "fixed." Thankfully it somehow turned out not to be really obvious.

I have been avoiding speaking to my academic tutor for months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoid making phone calls. I e-mail or message whenever possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

conversation, social interaction, phoning the mobile company to cancil my subscription, finding a psychiatrist.

 

Edited by deckpoop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brushing my teeth.  Will try for tonight though.

Vacuuming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been avoiding confronting pharmacy over being transphobic jerks, because I think the emotional fallout afterwards wouldn't be worth it in our current state.

Care staff in general.

Tri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2016 at 5:48 PM, WinterTidings said:

Been avoiding confronting pharmacy over being transphobic jerks, because I think the emotional fallout afterwards wouldn't be worth it in our current state.

Care staff in general.

Tri

Sorry you're having to deal with transphobic people. There seem to be a lot of people in the medical profession (including pharmacists) who are transphobic :(

I'm avoiding going to networking events. Last week I blew off one because of the weather. Yesterday I didn't stay long enough to see if anyone was actually going to show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been avoiding leaving the building I live in.  Only for trash in the back lot, about 20 feet from the door.  Only have to go out one day this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too avoid the hairdresser but because I hate being trapped in the chair and not being able to leave. Always makes my IBS flare up, then I feel sick and have a panic attack and there's nowhere I can go except to sit there and pretend everything is fine. I finally gave up and have been using a box dye in a colour I'm not happy with just to avoid going. I think my last hair cut was a year and a half ago.

I've been avoiding making an appointment with my psychologist. She's all the way over the other side of town, I hate meeting new people and I hate being on the phone. I also hate appointments. All of these induce enough anxiety on their own, putting them together .............nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm avoiding calling my hip surgeon's office. *sigh*

I've also been avoiding calling the car mechanics, but I can't avoid that anymore as my headlight burnt out -.-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacing a headlight is pretty easy. Look up your specific car on YouTube and I bet you can figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with my current mental state I'm pretty sure a DIY headlight repair would end in me frying car circuits @[email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessamine said:

I've been avoiding making an appointment with my psychologist. She's all the way over the other side of town, I hate meeting new people and I hate being on the phone. I also hate appointments. All of these induce enough anxiety on their own, putting them together .............nope.

Is there someone who can do it for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Is there someone who can do it for you?

That's a good idea. I might get my husband to call and make the appointment for me and he can just tell me on the day it's on that I have it, that way I won't agonize over having an appointment so far away. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dealing with what's going on in my life completely.  I avoided CB last night because I was paranoid and then heard a voice that was saying there was no reason for things, so I took seroquel.  I think the seroquel helped with getting me to sleep but I don't want to use it for the long-term. 

I just want things to go back t normal and yesterday I wasn't help make that happen. 

 

 

I feel ridiculous saying I felt/feel at time paranoid about crazyboards,, but it happens occasionally.  I don't know why.  Maybe because the time period prior to the ER and hospitalization was so weird that everything remotely close to it gets dumped into the trauma-based paranoia piece.  Maybe because it's hard to get it to stop.  Hopefully that's it.  Hopefully I'll gradually feel better about everything.  Because there are times where it has the same kind of feeling as the rest of the world--that things are happening for a reason, that people are replying in a certain order and that's why people are not responding also and that's why certain topics are getting brought up (though I realize it's a catch-22 because I'd probably think something weird if things were random...but not as much). 

I am trying to just stop freaking out about this nonsense.  I'm posting this to have some accountability so I stop posting and deleting it because I have been.  There are too many things going on in life where I feel like it's not a coincidence but it has to be a coincidence.  Maybe like the weird experience with the train system yesterday that matched what I'd seen prior to when I landed in the ER (leading to similar sort of "this isn't how it's normally done" thoughts and "but maybe it's just a fluke then and was before and/or my memory is off"), there will be something that helps convince me that the series of events/people talking and responding/etc. are in fact random. 

Sorry, that probably doesn't make much sense.  Part of that is probably because my sleep is so off tonight.  I didn't expect that because I slept well sunday prior to work on Monday, so I thought I'd do okay prior to work tomorrow/later this morning.  Maybe it's random also. 

Will force myself to not delete. 

Edited by dancesintherain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessamine said:

That's a good idea. I might get my husband to call and make the appointment for me and he can just tell me on the day it's on that I have it, that way I won't agonize over having an appointment so far away. Thanks!

You're welcome :)  That would be great if your husband helps you out.  Just one suggestion ... I wouldn't wait to the day of the appt to find out your appt is then ... personally I need a "warning" of at least a day (so maybe ask your husband to tell you the day before?) so I can mentally prepare myself to having to get out and go somewhere.  If I wake up and all of a sudden hear that I have to go out somewhere when I was planning to be home, that stresses me out.  Idk if something like this would be helpful, just talking from experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Dealing with what's going on in my life completely.  I avoided CB last night because I was paranoid and then heard a voice that was saying there was no reason for things, so I took seroquel.  I think the seroquel helped with getting me to sleep but I don't want to use it for the long-term. 

I just want things to go back t normal and yesterday I wasn't help make that happen. 

 

 

I feel ridiculous saying I felt/feel at time paranoid about crazyboards,, but it happens occasionally.  I don't know why.  Maybe because the time period prior to the ER and hospitalization was so weird that everything remotely close to it gets dumped into the trauma-based paranoia piece.  Maybe because it's hard to get it to stop.  Hopefully that's it.  Hopefully I'll gradually feel better about everything.  Because there are times where it has the same kind of feeling as the rest of the world--that things are happening for a reason, that people are replying in a certain order and that's why people are not responding also and that's why certain topics are getting brought up (though I realize it's a catch-22 because I'd probably think something weird if things were random...but not as much). 

I am trying to just stop freaking out about this nonsense.  I'm posting this to have some accountability so I stop posting and deleting it because I have been.  There are too many things going on in life where I feel like it's not a coincidence but it has to be a coincidence.  Maybe like the weird experience with the train system yesterday that matched what I'd seen prior to when I landed in the ER (leading to similar sort of "this isn't how it's normally done" thoughts and "but maybe it's just a fluke then and was before and/or my memory is off"), there will be something that helps convince me that the series of events/people talking and responding/etc. are in fact random. 

Sorry, that probably doesn't make much sense.  Part of that is probably because my sleep is so off tonight.  I didn't expect that because I slept well sunday prior to work on Monday, so I thought I'd do okay prior to work tomorrow/later this morning.  Maybe it's random also. 

Will force myself to not delete. 

Honestly, I get nervous about certain sites too (not this one too much, yet, but I'm pretty new). For me it becomes this worry that someone will figure out who I am and use what I've posted against me or something like that. Despite me not really posting anything that can be used against me. Anyway. It's good that you're trying not to delete this post. I hope your paranoia eases a bit. Sometimes it helps me to take a break for a few days and then come back. That way my worrying has time to settle itself before I go back into the fray.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I appreciate it.  It's hard committing to time away (though I like the idea of it in principle) because the rationale I used was that people here both understand what these symptoms are like and have ideas on handling them and that it's a round-the-world thing so that I'm hopefully not inconveniencing everyone by saying something.  I don't want to burden someone IRL (or someones) so I dump it here instead.  And most people IRL don't know about the psychosis piece and I don't want them too.  So when my brain is freaking out about crazy stuff, it's hard to talk to someone live.

That said, at some point I need some alternative coping approaches.  Maybe after some ideas on how to handle the pdoc appointment then I'll try to take a short break.  It's hard not treating it as an instantaneous fix though, as I can be struggling and then express it.  Maybe I should have expedited some stuff I got for expressive journaling.  Or maybe I should go through my drawers...I think i must have at least one for writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Thanks, I appreciate it.  It's hard committing to time away (though I like the idea of it in principle) because the rationale I used was that people here both understand what these symptoms are like and have ideas on handling them and that it's a round-the-world thing so that I'm hopefully not inconveniencing everyone by saying something.  I don't want to burden someone IRL (or someones) so I dump it here instead.  And most people IRL don't know about the psychosis piece and I don't want them too.  So when my brain is freaking out about crazy stuff, it's hard to talk to someone live.

That said, at some point I need some alternative coping approaches.  Maybe after some ideas on how to handle the pdoc appointment then I'll try to take a short break.  It's hard not treating it as an instantaneous fix though, as I can be struggling and then express it.  Maybe I should have expedited some stuff I got for expressive journaling.  Or maybe I should go through my drawers...I think i must have at least one for writing.

Well you don't have to take time away. It was just what I do sometimes. But if this is a good coping mechanism for you, you definitely don't have to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks--I like the idea at least, follow through might be hard.  But I'm currently managing to not do work emails (by not having them on my phone and using willpower with our online access).  So perhaps I would have similar willpower, who knows.  I think it would be good for me.  And I guess I can always end the trial run early if needed, as PHP taught me.  

If I could give up my desire for concrete timelines (endemic to my job I think), I would do a lot better at coping with episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×